Do you think people are blowing the windows 8 app count out of proportion.

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
This is about the Windows Store not the Windows Phone store.

I however do agree its stupid that the Windows Phone 8 SDK isn't out when they are pushing both platforms being similar and it would make sense for devs to work on both at the same time. On the other hand that may be a reason they have it delayed the sdk.

But to my main point there are reported to be around 2000 apps in the windows 8 store with around 100 being updated per day and a couple of weeks back they opened up the market to devs worldwide.

so anyone else thinking that its being blown out of proportion. Microsoft has shown off a ton of Windows 8 games that will be in the market at launch.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/xbox-live-games-coming-to-windows-8-on-october-26/

As well as big apps like netflix and skype that will be a launch. You have to assume their will be other apps that are waiting for launch as well. Not onlt that but windows 8 is going tobe on a lot of hardware and it would be odd for devs to want to miss out on that.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Every major platform -- including BB10 -- will have more-than-enough apps for the average person.

The question is differentiation, and WP doesn't have enough of that right now. UI isn't enough (WP7's failure taught us that), and handsets that cost as much (or more than) the "safe" iPhone and Galaxy handsets aren't going to peel away many converters.

Microsoft has to deliver MORE for LESS, not "different for the same price."

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Every major platform -- including BB10 -- will have more-than-enough apps for the average person.

The question is differentiation, and WP doesn't have enough of that right now. UI isn't enough (WP7's failure taught us that), and handsets that cost as much (or more than) the "safe" iPhone and Galaxy handsets aren't going to peel away many converters.

I agree 1000%.

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Well the OP wasn't about windows Phone. Its about windows 8 were there is really only 1 main other player in the ipad.

In windows Phone I disagree as the carriers are usually the ones to make the pricing on contract.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

Disagree. It's not a question of the number of apps at all. Sure, a person doesn't need 2000 apps. Maybe on average they only need something like 25. However, my 25 are going to be different from your 25, which are going to be different from everyone else's 25. That's why you need a large app store, because as the number increases, the possibility that everyone will be covered increases.

Example: a lot of people are excited, because there's a Bank of America app and soon to be a Chase Mobile app for WP7. However, that doesn't help my bank, and it might not help for your bank.

Moreover, I disagree with your second premise as well. WP7's problem isn't that it doesn't have enough differentiation. The problem is that for all of the new and unique features it had, it has tons of holes in basic functionality that other platforms have. WP8 increases the amount of unique stuff, but unless Microsoft has filled in all the holes, it's still not going to be enough.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
It definitely doesn't help for my bank (Citi), and the availability of it for Android (plus the admittedly good user experience of the S III) makes me tempted to make Android my primary platform.

I'll still buy a WP8, but Microsoft's gotta snap into gear and rev.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
How soon we forget. How many apps were available for the "original" iPad? I remember reading reports of a few hundred if not mistaken. I communicate with many developers regarding tweaks and app reviews. And every one I have spoken to so far has said they are planning app(s) for Windows 8 RT. Not by launch, but certainly by the end of this year. Personally, I can't wait for 10/26/12.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

The question is differentiation, and WP doesn't have enough of that right now. UI isn't enough (WP7's failure taught us that), and handsets that cost as much (or more than) the "safe" iPhone and Galaxy handsets aren't going to peel away many converters.."
I am sure everyone has a different definition of failure. Mine is losing more users than gaining. Sort of like Blackberry right now. WP 7.x is not a failure. Its simply yet to discovered.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

1217599750kkmVnr.jpg

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am sure everyone has a different definition of failure. Mine is losing more users than gaining. Sort of like Blackberry right now.

In their quarterly results, RIM announced they'd added 2 million additional subscribers to their service. That means that BB 7 is growing much faster than Windows Phone in the same quarter, for what it's worth.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
In their quarterly results, RIM announced they'd added 2 million additional subscribers to their service. That means that BB 7 is growing much faster than Windows Phone in the same quarter, for what it's worth.

In the US? Because, honestly, I don't know anyone who uses a BlackBerry anymore.

Then again, I don't know anyone who owns a WP either.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Are we talking Windows 8 desktop or tablet?

I would think the tablet will have access to all the WP7 apps and the desktop has access to all the current Windows desktop apps. Not to mention the Surface Pro will have WP7/8+current desktop+win8 apps. So, what's the problem?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You would think wrong.

That makes no sense. Why wouldn't WP7 apps run on RT? HP/Palm, Android, and that other company, the one with the fruit logo, have phone apps working on tablets. And Nvidia has said the tablets could run WP apps. MS would be foolish to not have an emulator at the very least. So where is this mythical ecosystem then?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but why does Windows 8 (the x86 desktop OS) need apps?

Apps are needed on mobile OSes, since certain things will not work strictly in mobile browsers. For example, who needs a weather app or a Netflix app in a desktop OS?

What am I missing?

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Does Windows Phone currently have any media playing apps? I am looking at making the switch from iOS to WP. I tried Android (SII) last year and only lasted about two days before returning it and buying a 4S.

I have tried searching the web and can't not find anything about WP being able to play mkv files without having to convert them.

Other then that all I need is Hullomail (although they have no interest in developing for Windows) and a equivalent to Run Keeper Pro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa