It's cool to hate Microsoft - and it drives me crazy

jabz9

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Idc if WP8 doesnt go number 1 as long as Microsoft does supporting it and developers make alot of apps for it then im good

jabz9

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I agree, what I want is the platform to thrive even if it's not making Apple level profits.
true and i would like if me and a few close friends would have windows phone.

i know its nerdy and weird but i like it when i see a stranger with a Windows phone and i feel i must ask them how do they feel about it.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple has been trouncing Microsoft in the market, so this is what happens. I have to deal with it everyday.
In what? The phone market? The tablet market? Sure - they should be - they're well established.
But in the software market? They will never touch MSFT.
Never.

At least MSFT has a chance to grab some marketshare from Apple in the phone realm.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The coin has flipped to the other side. I remember being subjected to ridiculous anti-Mac rants in the 1990s.

I had an IT manager who kept threatening to shut off my workgroup's access to "his network" because we ran Macs and "he didn't like them." He even pushed it to the highest level of the firm until I did a "reply all" email to his complaint (cc:ed to the BoD) pointing out that I'd happily switch the workgroup over, but we'd have to turn down $650K in revenue that quarter (and would have to reduce our revenue projections by 30% next year to make up for impaired workflow).

I even had a boss who knocked me down an entire level on my performance review for using a PowerBook instead of a Dell Windows 98 laptop... "you need to get with modern technology and not TOY COMPUTERS," he wrote. I ended up leaving for a better job a few months afterwards. :D

Ironically, he is now a total Apple wannabe hipster with MacBooks, an iPhone and insists that Apple is just "the bee's knees."

Now I use Windows 7, and he insists that I'm "behind the times and clinging to obsolete technology." Hilarious stuff.

Haterz gonna hate.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The coin has flipped to the other side. I remember being subjected to ridiculous anti-Mac rants in the 1990s.

I had an IT manager who kept threatening to shut off my workgroup's access to "his network" because we ran Macs and "he didn't like them." He even pushed it to the highest level of the firm until I did a "reply all" email to his complaint (cc:ed to the BoD) pointing out that I'd happily switch the workgroup over, but we'd have to turn down $650K in revenue that quarter (and would have to reduce our revenue projections by 30% next year to make up for impaired workflow).

I even had a boss who knocked me down an entire level on my performance review for using a PowerBook instead of a Dell Windows 98 laptop... "you need to get with modern technology and not TOY COMPUTERS," he wrote. I ended up leaving for a better job a few months afterwards. :D

Ironically, he is now a total Apple wannabe hipster with MacBooks, an iPhone and insists that Apple is just "the bee's knees."

Now I use Windows 7, and he insists that I'm "behind the times and clinging to obsolete technology." Hilarious stuff.

Haterz gonna hate.

That's interesting.

Did you work for a graphic design firm?

I've yet to see a Mac in any business that was not graphic design / art related.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft are just seen as boring and no longer cool. I personally think this will begin to change as technology shifts to shared ecosystems.
Alot of people who own tablets or Android phones like them, but it is a source of constant hassle to have to open multiple apps to access files across various online storage solutions.
The whole Win8/WP8/RT push will be a massive success in the corporate world, nearly all of our senior management have Ipads, despite (after all this time) there being NO official support from IT, same with students, bring one if you want, but we only fully support Windows, everything else is best effort only.
We will be running extensive acceptance testing and Im confident that by Xmas, there will be a Microsoft surface device in our recommended hardware list.
The Ipad made people realise that a laptop wasn't essential, now that door is open, I suspect that the Win8 tablets will do very well. Im confident on this as Im intending to buy one, as I can finally see a use for one, and if an old skeptic like me is buying one, you can bet there are alot of other people who will be thinking the same..

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting.

Did you work for a graphic design firm?

I've yet to see a Mac in any business that was not graphic design / art related.

I work with a graphic design/branding firm that uses a mixed environment. Macs for the art dept and PC's for the rest.

Three other clients have a pure Mac (workstation) environment that is non-graphic based. Here's the kicker: they all use a PC emulator.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
to the OP, i feel your pain... it drives me insane to hear people talk about the iphone and ipad... everyone one of my employees has an iphone, every single one of them... heck my regional mgr has an iphone as well!!! its popularity is based off just that. popularity... and pressure from sales people. when i start to get upset from this i just remind myself of the xbox. it had lots of issues from launch and got a horrible reputation. but look at it compared to the ps3 today. ballmmer has made it very clear they are not giving up on the windows phones. it takes a lot of time to penetrate a saturated market. were getting there... slowly but surely ;)

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
;)

How? The win8 tablets aren't even out yet.
You remember the tablet PC...? It failed badly at creating a buzz...

It was supposed to be "The revolution in mobile computing" but a little after Apple came in with the iPad and people called it a "Revolution in mobile computing"... I simply hope that Microsoft will push their tablet as much as Apple do... There are HUGE iPad ads everywhere in every city and it's not rare to see it in the newspapers, on TV and even the weather guy have an iPad once in a while...

Last edited:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

Haterz gonna hate.

Haha some people man.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how old you are OP, but Microsoft has been one of the most hated companies in the world for the majority of my life.

They are actually far LESS hated now than any time I can remember. Apple is the one receiving the hate fest after the lawsuit and the Maps fiasco.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
When i was studying computer science at university, people with Windows laptops would always get flack from two sides. The first would be from the uber geeky Linux crowd that would always mention how Windows was restricted and how "M$" was a greedy corporation. The second front would be the Apple crowd which would mostly be made up of arrogant rich kids that would think that the only reason you got a Windows laptop was because you couldn't afford a Macbook. You just learn to ignore them.

OP should remember that MS is still the big dog when it comes to desktop computing so he shouldn't feel so bad.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
When i was studying computer science at university, people with Windows laptops would always get flack from two sides. The first would be from the uber geeky Linux crowd that would always mention how Windows was restricted and how "M$" was a greedy corporation. The second front would be the Apple crowd which would mostly be made up of arrogant rich kids that would think that the only reason you got a Windows laptop was because you couldn't afford a Macbook. You just learn to ignore them.

OP should remember that MS is still the big dog when it comes to desktop computing so he shouldn't feel so bad.

What a weird university. When I was in school the kids with the Macbooks would easily get the most ****.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how old you are OP, but Microsoft has been one of the most hated companies in the world for the majority of my life.

They are actually far LESS hated now than any time I can remember. Apple is the one receiving the hate fest after the lawsuit and the Maps fiasco.

I'm 35, I grew up with Commodore 64's, Amiga's etc. It did take me a while to warm to the whole idea of consoles, so maybe I am just being slow to adapt.

I also work in IT and have to manage the dang iPad's and iPhones ... so that's part of my frustration. Microsoft it to blame too, thanks for the (almost zero) enterprise support in Windows 7!

Apple has a lot of momentum right now .. but it is slowing ...

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
What a weird university. When I was in school the kids with the Macbooks would easily get the most ****.

That was jealousy. A 6 years ago, only the rich kids had the MBs. EVERYONE else had a dell, or HP. Everyone wanted to be that kid, even those of us who never really cared for apple stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes