It's cool to hate Microsoft - and it drives me crazy

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Neither Google nor Apple owns 90% of any market.

IE9 sucks compared to Chrome or FF. I've moved and I'm trying to like IE10, but Chrome is the best of the bunch right now [Haven't tried Opera since they tried to charge to use it].

As a Windows, Mac, Linux user. I think Windows is the #1 options. When I was using OS X, the first thing I did was load Windows XP on it. I'm just not into linux that much, but I have to use it for work.
I use Chrome too, but I read that security wise, IE9 is better... but IE is poor overall

Bing is getting better tho

ListenUpGuys

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it's seen by many as cool to hate Microsoft because people don't want to change. Ten years ago Google were the good guys, Microsoft were bad (because of poor software) and Apple were largely irrelevant in anything but portable music.

Now of course Google spies on you, Apple are morally corrupt and Microsoft have improved their software, and changed their policies for the better. That's in a nutshell to say the least.

But the whole time Microsoft were giving billions away, and they still are. Apple doesn't give away anything. I don't know about Google. They're definitely the good guys, but I'm no fan boy. I like Excel, Windows 7... um, their development tools. Um... Halo... Oh, Windows Phone :)

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
IE is the policy determined browser where I work. I try and try, but when it's my own computer, I use Firefox.

I do think there is a "it's cool to hate on Microsoft" vibe out there. I listen to various podcasts where Skype is used for hosts to communicate with one another. Days after Microsoft had announced it's intent to purchase Skype (and long before regulatory approval would be awarded), hosts with a technological bent (who should know better) would gripe how Skype sucked and would drop packets "now that MS was running the operation".

That is just one example I can think of quickly off the top of my head.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
When i was studying computer science at university, people with Windows laptops would always get flack from two sides. The first would be from the uber geeky Linux crowd that would always mention how Windows was restricted and how "M$" was a greedy corporation. The second front would be the Apple crowd which would mostly be made up of arrogant rich kids that would think that the only reason you got a Windows laptop was because you couldn't afford a Macbook. You just learn to ignore them.

OP should remember that MS is still the big dog when it comes to desktop computing so he shouldn't feel so bad.

I use Linux, Windows, and OSX, and I can't really say that any are better than the other. I guess it depends on what your needs are. I grow tired of the PC Vs Mac back and forth, let people just use what makes them feel good and be done with it. I don't see MS losing too much marketshare in the desktop arena, most people know Windows, and they don't want to pay the Apple prices for a computer.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I use Chrome too, but I read that security wise, IE9 is better... but IE is poor overall

Bing is getting better tho

I used Chrome for a long time, but then went back to IE, and I can't really say I think one is better than the other. They both work for me. I don't particularly care for FF, it runs slow on my Mac and my PC, for some reason.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I used Chrome for a long time, but then went back to IE, and I can't really say I think one is better than the other. They both work for me. I don't particularly care for FF, it runs slow on my Mac and my PC, for some reason.

I use IE9 for Facebook (pinned Facebook page is ace with the Notifications API) and FF for everything else. I want to transition back to pure IE

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Google/Android fans are at least as much to blame for Microsoft hate these days as Apple fans are.

Personally I'm a fan of both Apple and Microsoft. Android I loathe though and I don't trust Google at all, I do like some of Google's products, but I think they are truly the real Evil Empire that people used to think Microsoft was.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting.

Did you work for a graphic design firm?

I've yet to see a Mac in any business that was not graphic design / art related.

I worked in consulting. At the time, Mac OS 8/9 was MUCH better for statistical, qualitative and secondary research report workflows than the Windows 9X of the era. A lot less crash-prone, too.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Think of it this way. Apple is like the bombshell supermodel that shows up at a party. Everyone stops what they're doing, stares at them, and then caters to their whims... for a while. But the time comes, for some sooner and some later, when a majority sees that person as empty at their core.

And Apple had been the slightly eccentric, homely girl for a long time. She almost died before Microsoft cut her a $170 million check in 1997 and begged her to get her act together, at which point, she got a lot of "work" done, some "augmentation," a new wardrobe and a new hair color. ;)

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

IE9 sucks compared to Chrome or FF. I've moved and I'm trying to like IE10, but Chrome is the best of the bunch right now [Haven't tried Opera since they tried to charge to use it].

As a Windows, Mac, Linux user. I think Windows is the #1 options. When I was using OS X, the first thing I did was load Windows XP on it. I'm just not into linux that much, but I have to use it for work.

I don't know about this one, FF and chrome have always given me problems in some form while IE9 has been nearly flawless. Even on my almost 6 year old gateway box that originally came with XP.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I hear complaints about IE9 and malware, but every time I've seen any malware, it's been a Java security flaw and not a browser issue. I refuse to allow Java anywhere NEAR any PC I own (it was also responsible for shutting Apple up about their "superior security" after the big malware problem they had on OS X).

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I only use IE while at work because I'm forced to.

Chrome, for me, is much more stable, never crashes, and is much faster. Add the ad block add ons, its awesome.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Chrome, for me, is much more stable, never crashes, and is much faster. Add the ad block add ons, its awesome.

I use Firefox, Opera and Chrome in that order of frequency.

Beside Ad Block, I also use Ghostery.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I use FireFox and IE. Chrome seemed to give me so much trouble and REFUSED POINT BLANK to play ball with my Facebook. So I gave up and got rid. Not to mention the time before when I used Chrome it slowed my PC to a crawl such I had to format the damn thing!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Apple owns over 90% of digital music and digital television download revenues, over 90% of tablet revenues, over 90% of MP3 player revenues, and over 90% of the high end PC market in the USA.

Google owns over 90% of online advertising revenue.

Neither got to be companies with net worths in the $hundreds of billions by not dominating big, cash-flow-rich markets.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Apple owns over 90% of digital music and digital television download revenues, over 90% of tablet revenues, over 90% of MP3 player revenues, and over 90% of the high end PC market in the USA.

Google owns over 90% of online advertising revenue.

Neither got to be companies with net worths in the $hundreds of billions by not dominating big, cash-flow-rich markets.

Any cites for those?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I think it's seen by many as cool to hate Microsoft because people don't want to change. Ten years ago Google were the good guys, Microsoft were bad (because of poor software) and Apple were largely irrelevant in anything but portable music.
Yep. People are still rooting for them as if they are the underdogs, and don't realise they've become the big, evil corporation they once hated. I think this extends further, it's a society problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre