Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    The Lumia 920 was supposed to be the savior of Windows Phone. It was going to finally usher Windows Phone into the mainstream. It packs the right goods for the job with forward-thinking features such as wireless charging, NFC, and a gorgeous large screen. But none of that matters now. Like the Lumia 900 before, the Lumia 920 is exclusive to AT&T. And thats just dumb.

Read More and comment: Goodbye, Lumia 920: The AT&T Exclusive Superphone Will Probably Flop | TechCrunch
    steve_w_7 and soulzero like this.
  2. cgk

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    exclusive to AT&T. And that’s just dumb.
    Question is - is it really exclusive because that's the deal Nokia wanted or because nobody else wanted it and that is how they are spinning it?

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzibit View Post
    The Lumia 920 was supposed to be the savior of Windows Phone. It was going to finally usher Windows Phone into the mainstream. It packs the right goods for the job with forward-thinking features such as wireless charging, NFC, and a gorgeous large screen. But none of that matters now. Like the Lumia 900 before, the Lumia 920 is exclusive to AT&T. And thats just dumb.

Read More and comment: Goodbye, Lumia 920: The AT&T Exclusive Superphone Will Probably Flop | TechCrunch
    Looks like you are trying to advertise for another site.....

Global Posts
    2,857 Global Posts
    This phone is really bringing out the worst in people, isnt it? Jealosy is such an ugly emotion...
    Last edited by theefman; 10-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,269 Global Posts

that's only in the U.S. You are in Ghana.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  6. cgk

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    CNET see it in a similar way:

The Finnish handset manufacturer's decision to strike an exclusivity agreement with AT&T for its flagship Lumia 920 means much of its hopes of breaking into the U.S. market rides on just the one carrier, which isn't the smartest decision when said carrier has a huge wave of other smartphones coming out this holiday.

While exclusivity deals were in vogue a few years ago, they've grown increasingly pass as heavy hitters such as Apple and Samsung Electronics have opted to debut on multiple carriers, getting their phones into as many hands as possible.
    "If you want to win market share in this business, as an original equipment manufacturer, you have to be able to forge multiple deals with multiple carriers for the same device," says Julian Blin, an analyst at Infonetics. "That's precisely what Apple and Samsung have done and that's why it worked so well."
    Thanked by:
    kenzibit and RealityCheckUSA like this.
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts
    Idk if there is a spin or ATT paid Nokia for exclusivity, but wasn't the 900 selling well or starting to, right up to the announcement that it won't update to WP8? I think it will do OK on ATT.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
    theefman and Residing like this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    What's considered a flop? I don't see it as being a big of a hit that most people think it's going to be. But a flop? I'm not seeing that either.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    As if the success of WP8 depends on how the US market does. Typical thinking.

The one market with a totally screwed up telecoms system where you can't decide for yourself what to buy and with whom to use it is obviously not the one determining the suc6 of a platform worldwide.

dream on I say..

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    So does gizmodo. 5 Reasons Why Nokia
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk1 View Post
    Thanked by:
    kenzibit likes this.

Its probably just exclusive to At&t for a few months. Either that, or they will have their own variant of the 920.

sent from my Galaxy Note using tapatalk

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    No one forces you to buy anything. If you want subsidized phone, you get one. If you want to buy a phone outright, you can do that too.

Nokia seems to think a lot of the US market. It's being announces here first, released here first. So yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
    As if the success of WP8 depends on how the US market does. Typical thinking.

The one market with a totally screwed up telecoms system where you can't decide for yourself what to buy and with whom to use it is obviously not the one determining the suc6 of a platform worldwide.

dream on I say..

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    I'm thinking 90 days. Then we'll see a 922 for Verizon or what not.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgigolo View Post
    Its probably just exclusive to At&t for a few months. Either that, or they will have their own variant of the 920.

sent from my Galaxy Note using tapatalk

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    I don't know if it will "flop" BUT I'd be willing to bet the 8X out sells the 920 by a large shot.

I surely hope no one is going to be holding off with the pipedream thinking "oh it will only be exclusive for x amount of days"... the deal will be just like the lumia 900.
    steve_w_7 and Nurgling like this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    I think HTC has better customer "mindshare" and a better marketing team. Well, they sure do in the USofA
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    I don't know if it will "flop" BUT I'd be willing to bet the 8X out sells the 920 by a large shot.

I surely hope no one is going to be holding off with the pipedream thinking "oh it will only be exclusive for x amount of days"... the deal will be just like the lumia 900.

Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    I think HTC has better customer "mindshare" and a better marketing team. Well, they sure do in the USofA
    wasn't it the plan? HTC dominates USA and Nokia goes worldwide. And it's pretty oblivious the Worldwide is much more important than just USA. makes sense

Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post

in USA. yes but worldwide NO!

Global Posts
    2,527 Global Posts
    The Lumia 920 was supposed to be the savior of Windows Phone. It was going to finally usher Windows Phone into the mainstream.
    I don't think this is true. I think my making the Windows Phone 8X by HTC the Windows Phone 8 name sake device and calling it the signature device, MS was sending Nokia a message. That message was, "Hey, if you want to be the signature device and permier partner, you need wide avalibility of top tier devices, not carrier exclusives." I feel that is the main reason for the shift from giving Nokia special attention to giving it to HTC.

But yes, I do think this spells bad things for the 920 in the US, which while not the only market, is the largest market for high end devices in the world.
    aubreyq and brmiller1976 like this.

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Really? I hope not becase I couldn't find my own words to write after reading that article, so I posted the fun part :)

Not sure I see the issue. Nokia go to one carrier and get loads of promotion, or every carrier, but no promotion.

If people want the device, they can switch, buy unlocked, or wait.

The 8x and Ativ S are still wins for WP8, and great phones.

It's the same situation in the uk, and I'll be buying when I can afford to buy unlocked. That said still not 100% sure which phone to buy.

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    that's only in the U.S. You are in Ghana.
    Yeah I know, posted it for my US bragging Nokia diehard fanboys. For me I care about non of these because I get international version of smartphones, no damn carrier branding or exclusivity.

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    lol....this news is everywhere...hahahaha

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    What a hilarious announcement today.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I don't buy the argument that "only AT&T wanted the 920." Verizon and T-Mobile are going to sell the 8X, after all. Why wouldn't they sell the 920?
    1jaxstate1 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    In the feature phone market maybe. But in the smartphone market, it's a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    wasn't it the plan? HTC dominates USA and Nokia goes worldwide. And it's pretty oblivious the Worldwide is much more important than just USA. makes sense
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast