4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
Like Tree40Likes
  1. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,894 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,895 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Ever since the 920 and 820 were announced the forums have been filled with threads on how Nokia was overrated, didnt bring anything to the table, the 920 was too thick and heavy, wireless charging was a gimmick, OIS doesnt matter because you didnt take pictures, etc and basically how they just should die.

    Then HTC had their announcement and the sentiment intensified, with claims Nokia was dead, HTC would outsell them, beats audio was better than anything on the 920, the 8x and 8s looked better, etc.

    So why all the anguish, gnashing of teeth, fervent proclamations of Nokia's demise now that its revealed it will be only on At&t? You never wanted the phone, didnt like the company, couldnt care less if they went bankrupt or not so its a bit strange to see forums filled with Nokia hate (guess thats nothing new) and at least 1 tech site already calling them a flop.

    What gives?
  2. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    People are stupid?
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,394 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    What gives?
    Maybe this is just crazy talk on my part but many some people think it's over-rated and some don't and different groups have people have different views rather all being part of a giant hive mind?

  4. Mystictrust's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    982 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    I don't think the same people are saying all of this - there are a lot of people with differing opinions around here. I'm fairly sure I have seen a LOT more Nokia praise than hate around here, anyway. Well... before today.

    That and I clearly recall the 920 being the winner of every "What smartphone will you get" poll. I'm curious now though if the poll numbers would change at all if a new one were started up after the exclusivity announcement. Not everyone can/will switch carriers.
    Bearach likes this.
  5. fwaits's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    876 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I think you are overstating "most". I small vocal minority may say that, but the polls showing demand for them are different.
  6. fwaits's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    876 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    I don't think the same people are saying all of this - there are a lot of people with differing opinions around here. I'm fairly sure I have seen a LOT more Nokia praise than hate around here, anyway. Well... before today.

    That and I clearly recall the 920 being the winner of every "What smartphone will you get" poll. I'm curious now though if the poll numbers would change at all if a new one were started up after the exclusivity announcement. Not everyone can/will switch carriers.
    I think we need to wait and see what the other carriers officially announce before we go too far with this.
  7. Scout_313's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    I've always been impressed by the 920 and was leaning toward buying one from day one. I would prefer to get a Nokia due mainly to the exclusive Nokia apps, but the 8X is no slouch either. If Verizon doesn't get the 920, the only decision I'll have to make is which color 8X to buy as I like the look of all of them right now.
    Bearach likes this.
  8. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,465 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Ever since the 920 and 820 were announced the forums have been filled with threads on how Nokia was overrated, didnt bring anything to the table, the 920 was too thick and heavy, wireless charging was a gimmick, OIS doesnt matter because you didnt take pictures, etc and basically how they just should die.

    Then HTC had their announcement and the sentiment intensified, with claims Nokia was dead, HTC would outsell them, beats audio was better than anything on the 920, the 8x and 8s looked better, etc.

    So why all the anguish, gnashing of teeth, fervent proclamations of Nokia's demise now that its revealed it will be only on At&t? You never wanted the phone, didnt like the company, couldnt care less if they went bankrupt or not so its a bit strange to see forums filled with Nokia hate (guess thats nothing new) and at least 1 tech site already calling them a flop.

    What gives?
    So are you saying the exact same people that said Nokia sucks are now mad it's only on AT&T? Or is it maybe possible those are two different groups of people?

    Personally I've always said since I'm on Verizon, I'm going to get the first best phone that comes out in the following order (1) 920 (2) ATIV (3) 8X. I'll be sad if I can't get the 920 at launch, but one of the other phones will be fine.
  9. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,894 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,895 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwaits View Post
    I think you are overstating "most". I small vocal minority may say that, but the polls showing demand for them are different.
    More than a vocal minority. What I dont get is why not just go with what you can get, 6 months down the line we'll see something better and it will all be how that new device is the best thing ever. Too much angst over this phone.
  10. addman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Maybe some people are disappointed because they are locked in to expensive and/or long-term contract with their provider of choice, which probably isn't AT&T so they can't/won't switch from their current provider and thus won't be able to get any of the new Lumias. I'm not so well informed on how the telecom business works in the US but those are the impressions I get from this forum. You have some weird business models over there IMO. Just a thought.
  11. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,894 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,895 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TK093 View Post
    So are you saying the exact same people that said Nokia sucks are now mad it's only on AT&T? Or is it maybe possible those are two different groups of people?

    Personally I've always said since I'm on Verizon, I'm going to get the first best phone that comes out in the following order (1) 920 (2) ATIV (3) 8X. I'll be sad if I can't get the 920 at launch, but one of the other phones will be fine.
    A good number of them, yes.

    Cyan is back! Its offical | AT&T will have 920 820
  12. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    The 920 looks awesome.

    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that they decided to make it bigger and heavier than the 900 though.

    It's going to make my next phone purchase decision a lot more difficult. I'd really like to stick with Nokia, but I'm torn between the lighter, smaller 820 with expandable storage and a replaceable battery and the 920 which has the 720p resolution, improved camera and other features I want.

    It's a tough call.

    Luckily I still love my 900 and I'm not in a rush to buy a new phone before my upgrade anyway.

    I'm hoping Nokia releases something else that has both high res and premium phone features without the gigantic Android XL form factor by the time I am ready to upgrade.
  13. Bearach's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    425 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Bearach; 07-08-2013 at 10:39 PM.
  14. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,465 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Please explain. I want the 920 and I'm mad only AT&T is getting it. This is the opposite of what you are saying. The EXACT opposite. What I said was correct... two different groups of people...

    Edit: Well, I'm more sad then mad. I'll get the 920 eventually.
  15. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,894 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,895 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TK093 View Post
    Please explain. I want the 920 and I'm mad only AT&T is getting it. This is the opposite of what you are saying. The EXACT opposite. What I said was correct... two different groups of people...

    Edit: Well, I'm more sad then mad. I'll get the 920 eventually.
    So not the perfect example, but still saying you wish they crash and burn because its only on at&t is pretty strong and exactly the sentiment I'm talking about.
  16. gzlesk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    I haven't heard anyone say Nokia is overrated
    brmiller1976 likes this.
  17. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    The outcry is because the press (and Nokia fans) have advanced the 920 as "the Windows Phone," which means that anemic sales due to carrier exclusives will result in articles saying "Windows 8 phone sales disappointing."
  18. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,465 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    So not the perfect example, but still saying you wish they crash and burn because its only on at&t is pretty strong and exactly the sentiment I'm talking about.
    Yes, but i put the little :) after I said crash and burn. I would have made the little mad face if i really want them to crash and burn.
  19. sinime's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,213 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    People like to have their cake and eat it too.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  20. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,894 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,895 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by TK093 View Post
    Yes, but i put the little :) after I said crash and burn. I would have made the little mad face if i really want them to crash and burn.
    Maybe make it bigger next time, then i'll see it. :D
  21. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,243 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,479 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Also, because around here, Nokia gets a great deal of the attention. So people want to talk trash about them because their favorite OEM gets treated like a red headed step child. Why does Nokia deserve to place on a pedestal. I think this is what brings out the Nokia hate.

    Plus, a lot of people on this forum are from the US and don't care if Nokia ceased to exist tomorrow.

    Just check out the front page now. "What color 920 are you getting?" I bet you won't see a poll like that for HTC....well maybe now, that attention is on it, but you get the picture.
  22. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,457 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by gzlesk View Post
    I haven't heard anyone say Nokia is overrated
    Where have you been? You must have missed it. I think most of those threads have been closed already though.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    Also, because around here, Nokia gets a great deal of the attention. So people want to talk trash about them because their favorite OEM gets treated like a red headed step child. Why does Nokia deserve to place on a pedestal. I think this is what brings out the Nokia hate.

    Plus, a lot of people on this forum are from the US and don't care if Nokia ceased to exist tomorrow.

    Just check out the front page now. "What color 920 are you getting?" I bet you won't see a poll like that for HTC....well maybe now, that attention is on it, but you get the picture.
    Because there's always news about Nokia because they're always doing something. They release new apps or update them often. More information keeps coming out about the Lumia. There are camera comparisons.

    Meanwhile, Samsung, even though we know a lot of the specs, I feel like I still know very little about the phone. Even since the unveiling, I haven't really heard much of anything from them. So I feel like there really isn't much to say about the Ativ S other than "I hope it's on this carrier," or "I'm going to get this phone when it comes out."

    HTC, I think they're kind of in the middle. At least their devices seem interesting to me, unlike Samsung's.

    And you must have missed this HTC poll.

    http://www.windowscentral.com/poll-w...uld-you-choose
  23. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,243 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,479 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Nokia is doing something? Buying exclusivity for apps..yeah that's just awesome.

    Nokia drive, so MS is willing to let all other windows phone do without turn by turn or go buy some expensive app. How about improve Bing maps to make it usable.

    HTC will out do Nokia, without the money stacks from MS.

    Yep I missed that poll.

    All this and yet they sold 650,000 lumia phones. First the 900 was suppose to be the great phone. Nope, so now it's the 920. How about Nokia prove that they can actually be a major player before people treat them like one.
  24. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Nokia is an irrelevant player in the USA, and a carrier exclusive with a late-to-market phone with a "challenger" OS isn't going to vault them into the big leagues here.

    Microsoft will do better to flood the market with cheap Samsung and HTC Windows Phones and play off of both companies' large pool of US smartphone customers. But to do that, the 8X has to get cheap REALLY fast (and the ATIV S needs pricing and availability data).
  25. Heron_Kusanagi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    400 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    I do think the midrange phones will be the priority for Nokia and that's where the L820 is positioned. It is where they are best at.

    And honestly, despite my bias for Nokia, I really hope they shock us with better news. AT&T exclusive isn't one of those news.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

";