Most people said Nokia was overrated, so why the outcry?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Ever since the 920 and 820 were announced the forums have been filled with threads on how Nokia was overrated, didnt bring anything to the table, the 920 was too thick and heavy, wireless charging was a gimmick, OIS doesnt matter because you didnt take pictures, etc and basically how they just should die.

Then HTC had their announcement and the sentiment intensified, with claims Nokia was dead, HTC would outsell them, beats audio was better than anything on the 920, the 8x and 8s looked better, etc.

So why all the anguish, gnashing of teeth, fervent proclamations of Nokia's demise now that its revealed it will be only on At&t? You never wanted the phone, didnt like the company, couldnt care less if they went bankrupt or not so its a bit strange to see forums filled with Nokia hate (guess thats nothing new) and at least 1 tech site already calling them a flop.

What gives?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
What gives?

Maybe this is just crazy talk on my part but many some people think it's over-rated and some don't and different groups have people have different views rather all being part of a giant hive mind?

:shocked:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the same people are saying all of this - there are a lot of people with differing opinions around here. I'm fairly sure I have seen a LOT more Nokia praise than hate around here, anyway. Well... before today.

That and I clearly recall the 920 being the winner of every "What smartphone will you get" poll. I'm curious now though if the poll numbers would change at all if a new one were started up after the exclusivity announcement. Not everyone can/will switch carriers.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I think you are overstating "most". I small vocal minority may say that, but the polls showing demand for them are different.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I don't think the same people are saying all of this - there are a lot of people with differing opinions around here. I'm fairly sure I have seen a LOT more Nokia praise than hate around here, anyway. Well... before today.

That and I clearly recall the 920 being the winner of every "What smartphone will you get" poll. I'm curious now though if the poll numbers would change at all if a new one were started up after the exclusivity announcement. Not everyone can/will switch carriers.

I think we need to wait and see what the other carriers officially announce before we go too far with this.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've always been impressed by the 920 and was leaning toward buying one from day one. I would prefer to get a Nokia due mainly to the exclusive Nokia apps, but the 8X is no slouch either. If Verizon doesn't get the 920, the only decision I'll have to make is which color 8X to buy as I like the look of all of them right now.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Ever since the 920 and 820 were announced the forums have been filled with threads on how Nokia was overrated, didnt bring anything to the table, the 920 was too thick and heavy, wireless charging was a gimmick, OIS doesnt matter because you didnt take pictures, etc and basically how they just should die.

Then HTC had their announcement and the sentiment intensified, with claims Nokia was dead, HTC would outsell them, beats audio was better than anything on the 920, the 8x and 8s looked better, etc.

So why all the anguish, gnashing of teeth, fervent proclamations of Nokia's demise now that its revealed it will be only on At&t? You never wanted the phone, didnt like the company, couldnt care less if they went bankrupt or not so its a bit strange to see forums filled with Nokia hate (guess thats nothing new) and at least 1 tech site already calling them a flop.

What gives?

So are you saying the exact same people that said Nokia sucks are now mad it's only on AT&T? Or is it maybe possible those are two different groups of people?

Personally I've always said since I'm on Verizon, I'm going to get the first best phone that comes out in the following order (1) 920 (2) ATIV (3) 8X. I'll be sad if I can't get the 920 at launch, but one of the other phones will be fine.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think you are overstating "most". I small vocal minority may say that, but the polls showing demand for them are different.

More than a vocal minority. What I dont get is why not just go with what you can get, 6 months down the line we'll see something better and it will all be how that new device is the best thing ever. Too much angst over this phone.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe some people are disappointed because they are locked in to expensive and/or long-term contract with their provider of choice, which probably isn't AT&T so they can't/won't switch from their current provider and thus won't be able to get any of the new Lumias. I'm not so well informed on how the telecom business works in the US but those are the impressions I get from this forum. You have some weird business models over there IMO. Just a thought.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So are you saying the exact same people that said Nokia sucks are now mad it's only on AT&T? Or is it maybe possible those are two different groups of people?

Personally I've always said since I'm on Verizon, I'm going to get the first best phone that comes out in the following order (1) 920 (2) ATIV (3) 8X. I'll be sad if I can't get the 920 at launch, but one of the other phones will be fine.

A good number of them, yes.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/1710455-post2.htm

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The 920 looks awesome.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that they decided to make it bigger and heavier than the 900 though.

It's going to make my next phone purchase decision a lot more difficult. I'd really like to stick with Nokia, but I'm torn between the lighter, smaller 820 with expandable storage and a replaceable battery and the 920 which has the 720p resolution, improved camera and other features I want.

It's a tough call.

Luckily I still love my 900 and I'm not in a rush to buy a new phone before my upgrade anyway.

I'm hoping Nokia releases something else that has both high res and premium phone features without the gigantic Android XL form factor by the time I am ready to upgrade.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Please explain. I want the 920 and I'm mad only AT&T is getting it. This is the opposite of what you are saying. The EXACT opposite. What I said was correct... two different groups of people...

Edit: Well, I'm more sad then mad. I'll get the 920 eventually.

So not the perfect example, but still saying you wish they crash and burn because its only on at&t is pretty strong and exactly the sentiment I'm talking about.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The outcry is because the press (and Nokia fans) have advanced the 920 as "the Windows Phone," which means that anemic sales due to carrier exclusives will result in articles saying "Windows 8 phone sales disappointing."

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So not the perfect example, but still saying you wish they crash and burn because its only on at&t is pretty strong and exactly the sentiment I'm talking about.

Yes, but i put the little :) after I said crash and burn. I would have made the little mad face if i really want them to crash and burn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster