Is Samsung trying to repeat the success from the s3 for the ativ s?

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Someone tried to market the Nokia Lumia 800 as a Galaxy Note to my friend. It worked, and then she realised it wasn't. Now she is so damn angry about it that I'm scared to go near her! If I try and sell her a Windows Phone (or a Nokia with Android if they ever release one), the crap will really hit the fan! People will notice and then it will really backfire on both Windows Phone and the company.

That isn't lying though. The Ativ S is basically a newer and better GS3 that runs on a better OS. That is perfectly acceptable sales strategy. Your example is just flat out lying and deception.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It most likely is the same screen as the Galaxy S 3 but it might not be. I don't see any link that says yes it uses the same screen. Not saying you're wrong because I think it will be the same screen myself but it still just an assumption on your part. The lumia 900 and 820 use a different screen when people guessed it was going to be the same for example.

And like I said, those are just your opinions and those factors will most likely be important to a lot of people. The Ativ S is not the worst WP8 flagship just because YOU say it is. Winter fang for example says it is the best.

The better question is what does the 8x bring besides some crappy dollar store level amp?

Samsung ATIV S feature page up, shows the ATIV S has the same Pentile display as the Galaxy S III | WMPoweruser

They use the same Super AMOLED HD screen. You can look at the Ativ S spec sheet yourself, the article above links to it and talks about the screen.

The iPhone (the single best selling phone) not having expandable storage and most people not caring is a fact, not my opinion. The only people who care about expandable storage on phones with 16 or 32 GB of memory are tech enthusiasts.

I never said it was 100% the worst. What I said was that if screen size, expandable storage, or a removable battery were ultra important to you, then the Ativ S is best. I just don't think that it is best for the average consumer. The fact that threads like this one suggesting that there are unannounced features or that Samsung has a surprise up its sleeve with this phone shows that most people are disappointed with it as it is and want something more from it.

People who have heard the amp on the HTC 8X in action have had positive things to say about it (including wpcentral), suggesting it is "a crappy dollar store level amp" is pure speculation, not based on actually released specs and early hands on experiences.

As to what else it offers over the Ativ S, here are my OPINIONS:
1. HTC has historically had better fit and finish with a superior, more premium feel
2. HTC has historically had superior manufacturer specific apps
3. HTC's dedicated imaging chip will likely lead to faster camera performance
4. HTC has had a better update history on both Android and Windows Phone than Samsung

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Sammy better than 8X or L920

What is making the Ativ better than the 8X and the 920? Seems like it would be hard to make that claim at this time. It very well could be the best, but until their is a full review does anyone really know?

One thing that makes it better than the L920 is that it is rumoured to be on Verizon; L920 on AT&T only. Does my sarcasm come through here?:mad:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What is making the Ativ better than the 8X and the 920? Seems like it would be hard to make that claim at this time. It very well could be the best, but until their is a full review does anyone really know?

It's remarkable how Winterfang knows it's the best, despite never having used one, seen one or even having been in the same room as any of these devices, isn't it?

I pretty much ignore everything he says since his post are so bipolar and nonsensical.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
It's remarkable how Winterfang knows it's the best, despite never having used one, seen one or even having been in the same room as any of these devices, isn't it?

I pretty much ignore everything he says since his post are so bipolar and nonsensical.

Though I do understand his like for htc and Sammy. But glad we got htc to join Nokia level commitment. But if we got Sammy just to advertise the ativ S heavily
. Then we'll appreciate them. You should put him in ignore. In your account

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Ashouldn't even ature page up, shows the ATIV S has the same Pentile display as the Galaxy S III | WMPoweruser

They use the same Super AMOLED HD screen. You can look at the Ativ S spec sheet yourself, the article above links to it and talks about the screen.

The iPhone (the single best selling phone) not having expandable storage and most people not caring is a fact, not my opinion. The only people who care about expandable storage on phones with 16 or 32 GB of memory are tech enthusiasts.

I never said it was 100% the worst. What I said was that if screen size, expandable storage, or a removable battery were ultra important to you, then the Ativ S is best. I just don't think that it is best for the average consumer. The fact that threads like this one suggesting that there are unannounced features or that Samsung has a surprise up its sleeve with this phone shows that most people are disappointed with it as it is and want something more from it.

People who have heard the amp on the HTC 8X in action have had positive things to say about it (including wpcentral), suggesting it is "a crappy dollar store level amp" is pure speculation, not based on actually released specs and early hands on experiences.

As to what else it offers over the Ativ S, here are my OPINIONS:
1. HTC has historically had better fit and finish with a superior, more premium feel
2. HTC has historically had superior manufacturer specific apps
3. HTC's dedicated imaging chip will likely lead to faster camera performance
4. HTC has had a better update history on both Android and Windows Phone than Samsung

Are you even reading my posts? I said just because it is a super amoled HD screen does not mean it is the same one. There are tons of IPS LCD screens that are just called IPS LCD screens but that does not mean that they are the same. I already said I agree that they are most likely the same but that is not a fact. The screen on the NOTE 2 goes by the exact same name but it uses newer technology.

And in my opinion it is the opposite. All my HTC products were garbage and their updating is hardly better than Samsung. Samsung released jelly bean on the S3 already.

Okay let me get this straight? You write off screen size, expandable storage, and thickness yet you champion those 4 untrue or useless bullet points? Puleeze.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

Tell that to jdevenberg over there. He already knows that the Ativ S offers no worthwhile advantages over HTC and Nokia.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Tell that to jdevenberg over there. He already knows that the Ativ S offers no worthwhile advantages over HTC and Nokia.
Do we not have the specs of the Ativ S and its original announcement? No break-out features. It's a repackaged SIII (no, not "improved", repackaged). Winterfang claims to be a person who is "fact based", and a fact based person will reach the conclusion that the Ativ S is the most unexciting and uncaptivating Windows Phone 8 device we know of.

Uses brushed aluminum instead of plastic. I personally prefer plastic but some people like metal like the isheep
No, it's brushed plastic.

Easier sell actually. That is a newer and better version of the GS3 is all they have to say and sold.
How is it better, and why the heck would Samsung try to sideline the Galaxy brand - its bread and butter - as second-rate?

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Do we not have the specs of the Ativ S and its original announcement? No break-out features. It's a repackaged SIII (no, not "improved", repackaged). Winterfang claims to be a person who is "fact based", and a fact based person will reach the conclusion that the Ativ S is the most unexciting and uncaptivating Windows Phone 8 device we know of.

How is it better, and why the heck would Samsung try to sideline the Galaxy brand - its bread and butter - as second-rate?

Thank You! This is what I have been saying. WE HAVE THE SPECS OF THIS PHONE. If it had some exciting new screen tech, Samsung would have said so at the announcement. Since they didn't, it doesn't. It is the GSIII screen, cause if it wasn't they would have said so.

The average consumer doesn't need more than 16 GB of storage, so the memory slot is a mute point. If it only had 4 or 8 GB built in, that would be another story. If consumers really wanted giant screens, the titan and titan II would have outsold the Lumia and the GSIII would outsell the iPhone. When you actually talk to people, at least half of people who don't consider them selves techies think the GSIII is too large. It sells well because it has other features people want so they deal with the huge screen.

I didn't discount those things though, I specifically said, if they are important to you, then the Ativ is the obvious choice. They just aren't that important to very many people. Otherwise the iPhone, with its 3.5 or 4" screen and lack of expandable memory wouldn't sell so well. It doesn't matter how great the software is, if it isn't on hardware people actually want it won't sell, look at the Palm Pre for proof of that, webOS was great, the Pre and Pre II and Pixi I&II and Veer were all trash though. So if those features the iPhone lacks were things people really wanted, it wouldn't sell.

The Ativ S has no innovated new features and is the least exciting Windows Phone 8 flagship announced. Thats why its not the best. Samsung put minimal effort in by simply putting a new shell on the GSIII. Their entire sales pitch is "Its big, you can (needlessly) carry lots of batteries, and add more (needlessly to 85% of consumers) memory!" Real convincing. The Ativ is only 14% thinner than the 8X and the screen has only 8% more surface area (i.e. viewable space) than the 920. Those are not exactly huge advantages considering what it doesn't have that the other two have (like any innovative features at all). Its screen only has 17% more viewable area than the 8X, a bigger difference, but still less than 1/5 bigger. And considering that it isn't higher res than the 920 or the 8X, you aren't actually seeing more on the screen, you see the same amount, its just larger and less clear. The only compro with another flagship it clearly wins is in thickness vs. the 920, where it is 22% thinner.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Yes because I'm looking at the spec sheets for all three, not pretending the Ativ is still an unanounced rumor device that could be full of surprises

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Do we not have the specs of the Ativ S and its original annoent? No break-out features. It's a repackaged SIII (no, not "improved", repackaged). Winterfang claims to be a person who is "fact based", and a fact based person will reach the concluswit that the Ativ S is the most unexciting and uncaptivating Windows Phone 8 device we know of.

Yes we have the specs but we also have the specs but they are obviously not as uninspiring as you HTC fanboys wish they are. You are talking like the GS3 is not currently the best phone in the world at the moment.

Are you even reading the garbage that you are writing? Unexciting and uncaptivating is pretty subjective things that are far from fact based. Should I even continue speaking to you fanboys with no sense of reasoning whatsoever?

Its better because the Ativ S can sell along with the GS3. Both the same price. They get the profit either way. If they want Android buy the GS3, if they want windows buy the Ativ S. It obviously isn't that hard of a sell especially even haters like you call it a repackaged GS3. Why can't sales people? Lol

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
[Quote/]Greater =jdevenberg;1712213]Thank You! This is what I have been saying. WE HAVE THE SPECS OF THIS PHONE. If it had some exciting new screen tech, Samsung would have said so at the announcement. Since they didn't, it doesn't. It is the GSIII screen, cause if it wasn't they would have said so.

The average consumer doesn't need more than 16 GB of storage, so the memory slot is a mute point. If it only had 4 or 8 GB built in, that would be another story. If consumers really wanted giant screens, the titan and titan II would have outsold the Lumia and the GSIII would outsell the iPhone. When you actually talk to people, at least half of people who don't consider them selves techies think the GSIII is too large. It sells well because it has other features people want so they deal with the huge screen.

I didn't discount those things though, I specifically said, if they are important to you, then the Ativ is the obvious choice. They just aren't that important to very many people. Otherwise the iPhone, with its 3.5 or 4" screen and lack of expandable memory wouldn't sell so well. It doesn't matter how great the software is, if it isn't on hardware people actually want it won't sell, look at the Palm Pre for proof of that, webOS was great, the Pre and Pre II and Pixi I&II and Veer were all trash though. So if those features the iPhone lacks were things people really wanted, it wouldn't sell.

The Ativ S has no innovated new features and is the least exciting Windows Phone 8 flagship announced. Thats why its not the best. Samsung put minimal effort in by simply putting a new shell on the GSIII. Their entire sales pitch is "Its big, you can (needlessly) carry lots of batteries, and add more (needlessly to 85% of consumers) memory!" Real convincing. The Ativ is only 14% thinner than the 8X and the screen has only 8% more surface area (i.e. viewable space) than the 920. Those are not exactly huge advantages considering what it doesn't have that the other two have (like any innovative features at all). Its screen only has 17% more viewable area than the 8X, a bigger difference, but still less than 1/5 bigger. And considering that it isn't higher res than the 920 or the 8X, you aren't actually seeing more on the screen, you see the same amount, its just larger and less clear. The only compro with another flagship it clearly wins is in thickness vs. the 920, where it is 22% thinner.[/QUOTE]

Listen, I am going to only repeat this once. The Super AMOLED HD screen on the Note 2 is not pentile but they didnt say a word. So you are just plain wrong that Samsung would advertise every improvement. So just please. Shut it already.

Expandable storage and thinness matters to a lot of people, FACT. The ONLY reason that Android phones are pocketable is because they are not FAT like your precious HTC and Nokia WP8 phones.

You can spew your garbage opinions till the cows come home but that still wont make a bigger screen and thinness any less important. You write these huge useless paragraphs trying to downplay the Ativ S but I can counter them easily like this with 3 sentences.

Bigger is better.
Having extra storage space is great.
I like thin phones because they are easier to pocket.

If you think thinness is nothing then why is the iphone 5 7.6mm instead of 9.4mm? Then why are people complaining about how thick the Lumia 920 is?

Having your own opinions is nice but that is all they are, your opinions. So just shut it already.

Last edited:

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes because I'm looking at the spec sheets for all three, not pretending the Ativ is still an unanounced rumor device that could be full of surprises

Um, don't you think that he looked at the specs sheet too? He reached a conclusion based on the information he has, that is NO different than what you are doing buddy. Lol

He didn't say anything about basing his conclusion on surprises, he used the specs too tardy boy.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an HTC ******. I have had HTC, Nokia, and my current device is a Samsung. I like good devices. Much of what mashes the galaxy s iii better than other Android phones is its software. The one x and the galaxy s iii are actually pretty evenly matched hardware, but Samsung did better on software on Android. I feel the opposite is true on windows phone. Htc has bee exclusive apps than Samsung.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Um, don't you think that he looked at the specs sheet too? He reached a conclusion based on the information he has, that is NO different than what you are doing buddy. Lol

He didn't say anything about basing his conclusion on surprises, he used the specs too tardy boy.

You're getting pretty upset over a phone. I didn't realize we were allowing it to degenerate to personal attacks. I think you need to take a beak from the interwebz, have some real face to face friends and learn some social skills. Sorry my telling the truth ticks you off so bad. we can each have or opinions, and yours can continue to be entirely wrong. Stop crying in your moms basement now.

Oh, and if my big long paragraphs are meaningless to you go back to school and learn to read full sentences.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
You and Angry Nil have your own preferences and opinions and Winterfag has his. Let's leave it at that. Sure he trolls a bit with his opinions but that is because you guys make it so easy.

HTC sucks actually. The One X in North America needed the extra gig of ram. Android is extremely memory intensive and the Qualcomm S4 on Android needs 2gb. Otherwise, yes the hardware is the same.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
You're getting pretty upset over a phone. I didn't realize we were allowing it to degenerate to personal attacks. I think you need to take a beak from the interwebz, have some real face to face friends and learn some social skills. Sorry my telling the truth ticks you off so bad. we can each have or opinions, and yours can continue to be entirely wrong. Stop crying in your moms basement now.

Oh, and if my big long paragraphs are meaningless to you go back to school and learn to read full sentences.

You telling the truth? What truth is that? That no one wants a bigger screen, expandable storage is useless and 14% isnt a relevant percentage? I hope your kids do not have your line of thinking.

Sorry if I had to resort to name calling, some people are just too dense to have debates with so you have try other methods.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
You telling the truth? What truth is that? That no one wants a bigger screen, expandable storage is useless and 14% isnt a relevant percentage? I hope your kids do not have your line of thinking.

Sorry if I had to resort to name calling, some people are just too dense to have debates with so you have try other methods.

I feel like I'm talking to one of them right now. 14% is relavent in some instance, not in others.

I based my statements on research. Multiple surveys and polls all over the internet (NPD, various forums, and various tech sites) show that consumers prefered screen size is 4.0"-4.5". Surveys and polls from the same people show that consumers use an average of 8GB of storage on their phones. Those are facts, you can research it yourself. You are the one being thick headed. Just because techies (who are a minority of consumers) want 5" displays 32 GB of storage built in and a 64 GB SD card doesn't mean that is what the magority will buy or is what is best for the magority of people. This is the first thread ever on this site where I have ever been accused of being a ****** or troll. It's because I have a low tolerence for stupid and this thread has a lot of it. If you like the Ativ S, thats fine. But it is not the best Windows Phone 8 device based on facts. And by the way, the link I posted earlier showed that the Ativ S had a pentile display. If Samsung is moving away from Pentile (a la Note II) and the Ativ S has a pentile, that is further evidence (note that word, evidence, not speculation) that it is a recycled screen.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Let's recap this thread for the people that still care.

We have seen the Ativ S for 10 seconds after the Note 2 event that said brushed aluminum, a windows phone blog hands on impression that said brushed aluminum, a Russian YouTube video that says it is plastic, spec sheet, rogers and bell carrying.

Oh and something from HTC and Nokia fans about it having no worthy advantages and being uninspiring. Anything else so far?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett