Is Samsung trying to repeat the success from the s3 for the ativ s?

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I feel like I'm talking to one of them right now. 14% is relavent in some instance, not in others.

I based my statemenbasedearch. Multiple surveys and polls all over the internet (NPD, various forums, and various tech sites) show that consumers prefered screen size is 4.0"-4.5". Surveys and polls from the same people show that consumers use an average of 8GB of storage on their phones. Those are facts, you can research it yourself. You are the one being thick headed. Just because techies (who are a minority of consumers) want 5" displays 32 GB of storage built in and a 64 GB SD card doesn't mean that is what the magority will buy or is what is best for the magority of people. This is the first thread ever on this site where I have ever been accused of being a ****** or troll. It's because I have a low tolerence for stupid and this thread has a lot of it. If you like the Ativ S, thats fine. But it is not the best Windows Phone 8 device based on facts. And by the way, the link I posted earlier showed that the Ativ S had a pentile display. If Samsung is moving away from Pentile (a la Note II) and the Ativ S has a pentile, that is further evidence (note that word, evidence, not speculation) that it is a recycled screen.

So it is not the best windows phone based on facts because it offers more than what the average consumer needs? And the HTC not offering what tech geeks want is a positive? Do you even know what you are arguing about? Please, go learn what a fact is before you do any research, otherwise it is useless researching things that are not at all relevant to your arguments.

And here is more advice for you, just because one site says it is pen tile, it doesn't mean that site is accurate. Many many websites make mistakes based on assumptions. For all I know that writer is as dense as you are. The only fact is that the Note 2 is not pen tile and that Samsung did not advertise that fact like you claim they would.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Let's recap this thread for the people that still care.

We have seen the Ativ S for 10 seconds after the Note 2 event that said brushed aluminum, a windows phone blog hands on impression that said brushed aluminum, a Russian YouTube video that says it is plastic, spec sheet, rogers and bell carrying.

Oh and something from HTC and Nokia fans about it having no worthy advantages and being uninspiring. Anything else so far?

And the official Samsung product page which says "Metallic CMF with Hairline finish" which is distinctly not the same thing as aluminum

ATIV S - Samsung ATIV

Second dot thing in the features section, first bullet point, if we are the sort of people who care about facts.

Posted by a ****** of quality, not HTC, Nokia, Samsung, Apple, MS, or any other brand

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
So please mr jdevenberg, explain to me why having a smaller screen, less storage, and a thicker profile makes the 8x a better phone and why is that a fact.

I'll even help your argument since you are entirely incapable of creating your own.

Smaller screen means a higher pixel density provide the resolution is similar. That is a fact not some bs about it is only 8% bigger. My counter would be that a bigger screen is better for watching videos etc.

That would be a proper debate, not your crap about I am right based on facts and you are wrong just because.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
And the official Samsung product page which says "Metallic CMF with Hairline finish" which is distinctly not the same thing as aluminum

ATIV S - Samsung ATIV

Second dot thing in the features section, first bullet point, if we are the sort of people who care about facts.

Posted by a ****** of quality, not HTC, Nokia, Samsung, Apple, MS, or any other brand

You mean facts like HTC makes better apps and have better build quality? It is obvious that you don't care about facts. Otherwise you would realize that those are just subjective opinions.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The "BS" about only 8% was based on math. Using diffences (subtraction) and division to arrive at a percentage. I didn't use the words pixel density, but when I said since the Ativ And 8x have the same resolution the ativ would show the same amount on screen, but less clearly, That was making the argument you just made.
I would say that offering more than what is needed isn't an advantage. I'd rather then spent time and money in other areas that consumers will actually benefit from, like optical image stabilization, advanced imaging algorithms, built I'm amplifiers, and dedicated image processors. Most people would rather say, "look how quick/good my camera is" than "look how much empty space I have to store things in." People read text on their phones more than they watch videos, so clear text (high dpi) is more useful than bigger size.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Here are some more facts. The HTC 8x is quite a bit taller than the Lumia 920 for some reason even with a smaller screen, the bezels are quite big compared to other phones, and the overall dimensions of the phone is almost as or bigger than the 4.7 inch Optimus G.

Yet how dare Samsung offer a bigger screen than a survey and offer us more storage. Right. You need stronger argument buddy. Haha

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Unexciting and uncaptivating is pretty subjective things that are far from fact based. Should I even continue speaking to you fanboys with no sense of reasoning whatsoever?
No, you should quit. Nokia has a tonne of exciting innovations in their devices. HTC drew inspiration from Live Tiles, worked closely with Microsoft and has unique features such as the amp, FFC and image chip. Samsung has no significant advantage over these two on a platform with standardised specs - its screens have dropped behind, it doesn't get to use Exynos, its cameras are great but not standout and there's no TouchWiz.

Its better because the Ativ S can sell along with the GS3. Both the same price. They get the profit either way. If they want Android buy the GS3, if they want windows buy the Ativ S. It obviously isn't that hard of a sell especially even haters like you call it a repackaged GS3. Why can't sales people? Lol
You realise very few are buying Windows Phones, right? What kind of joke of an argument is this? People are just going to "choose" the Ativ because they like Windows Phone? What's been going on for the past two years, then?

All I conclude from this is that you've been unable to provide a convincing argument in favour of Samsung. HTC has this phone called the One X, so that somehow guarantees 8X sales? How did the Focus S, based on the GSII, fare?

Last edited:

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The "BS" about only 8% was based on math. Using diffences (subtraction) and division to arrive at a percentage. I didn't use the words pixel density, but when I said since the Ativ And 8x have the same resolution the ativ would show the same amount on screen, but less clearly, That was making the argument you just made.
I would say that offering more than what is needed isn't an advantage. I'd rather then spent time and money in other areas that consumers will actually benefit from, like optical image stabilization, advanced imaging algorithms, built I'm amplifiers, and dedicated image processors. Most people would rather say, "look how quick/good my camera is" than "look how much empty space I have to store things in." People read text on their phones more than they watch videos, so clear text (high dpi) is more useful than bigger size.

So what is your argument exactly? The amp and the fact that it looks like a Lumia 920 makes it more exciting than a Windows version of a GS3? I am sorry but that is weak because an amp is hardly more beneficial to consumers than extra storage for their videos and music and a bigger screen for viewing pleasures. If anything, the amp is a pure gimmick. You need a stronger argument.

And let's say the amp and front facing camera wasn't just gimmicks like beats audio. I would take the slimmer profile and less bezel over those two features any day. That is just my preference though but I am not the one arguing that it is a FACT that the HTC sucks compared to the Ativ. Unfortunately, you are arguing that the HTC is better as fact.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Here are some more facts. The HTC 8x is quite a bit taller than the Lumia 920 for some reason even with a smaller screen, the bezels are quite big compared to other phones
Here are some facts: the HTC has a 16:9 screen and is naturally more elongated, bezels assist with holding the phone without accidental screen or button presses, and the huge top bezel on the 8X does not compromise your ability to hold the device. Visual balance exists. There's a reason why the iPhone has largish top and bottom bezels, and why its top bezel is the same size as its bottom bezel despite the speaker grille and sensors being vertically lesser than the home button.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
No, you should quit. Nokia has a tonne of exciting innovations in their devices. HTC drew inspiration from Live Tiles, worked closely with Microsoft and has unique features such as the amp and image chip. Samsung has no significant advantage over these two on a platform with standardised specs - its screens have dropped behind, it doesn't get to use Exynos, its cameras are great but not standout and there's no TouchWiz.

You realise very few are buying Windows Phones, right? What kind of joke of an argument is this? People are just going to "choose" the Ativ because they like Windows Phone? What's been going on for the past two years, then?

All I conclude from this is that you've been unable to provide a convincing argument in favour of Samsung. HTC has this phone called the One X, so that somehow guarantees 8X sales? How did the Focus S, based on the GSII, fare?

Wait a second. My argument is not convincing but some artsy talk about drawing inspiration from live tiles, an amp that probably does nothing more than waste battery life, and some camera marketing speech is strong? I dunno, from where I sit the 4.8 amoled screen, super sleek slim profile, drilled hole speaker vent design, and expandable memory trumps that garbage and unseeded thickness easily.

The One X bombed so of course it won't help 8x sales. The GS3 made Samsung a household name, they can easily use that to their advantage with the Ativ S especially since they will be selling it at the same Samsung stores with other Ativ tablets and computers. It would be absolutely foolish for sales people to not use the Samsung brand to promote Windows products, period.

You guys really suck you know. You do know that Samsung manufacturers everything and the quality parts at their disposal means that they most likely have better and faster storage memory than HTC too. I am practical so that might explain why I prefer things like that over a gimmicky amp.:lol:

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Wait a second. My argument is not convincing but some artsy talk about drawing inspiration from live tiles, an amp that probably does nothing more than waste battery life, and some camera marketing speech is strong? I dunno, from where I sit the 4.8 amoled screen, super sleek slim profile, drilled hole speaker vent design, and expandable memory trumps that garbage and unseeded thickness easily.

The One X bombed so of course it won't help 8x sales. The GS3 mad Samsung a household name, they can easily use that to their advantage with the Ativ S especially since they will be selling it at the same Samsung stores with other Ativ tablets and computers.

You guys really suck you know. You do know that Samsung manufacturers everything and the quality parts at their disposal means that they most likely have better and faster storage memory than HTC too. I am practical so that might explain why I prefer things like that over a gimmicky amp.:lol:

Oh, now We have gotten To the strong arguments like "you guys suck" And Samsung makes and sells lots so it must be Good. Ya cause largest manufacturer is the same as best (just like screen) and the best selling obviously means best. So that would make Walmart the best retail chain in America, since they are the largest, and the Ford f150 the best motor vehicle in America since it had sold more units than any other vehicle every year for the last decade or so. I know I never enjoy shopping at Walmart. And I do like the f150 but unless you need a work truck there are certainly better choices.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
And btw, to address your claim I'm ******, my current phone is a galaxy s ii skyrocket that i quite like. Other thanI'm constantly pressing the back button cause there isn't enough Bezel to hold my phone by. I have it rooted with a very stable galaxy s iii ROM. I got it because the titan i had was to Large and i was disappointed by the camera on my 900. So yes, I'm obviously a blind ****** and not someone who wants a quality product

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, now We have gotten To the strong arguments like "you guys suck" And Samsung makes and sells lots so it must be Good. Ya cause largest manufacturer is the same as best (just like screen) and the best selling obviously means best. So that would make Walmart the best retail chain in America, since they are the largest, and the Ford f150 the best motor vehicle in America since it had sold more units than any other vehicle every year for the last decade or so. I know I never enjoy shopping at Walmart. And I do like the f150 but unless you need a work truck there are certainly better choices.

Context is your friend. That was a reply to Angrynil where we were discussing the sales potential of the Ativ S and how sales people might market it and whether or not the Samsung branding would help Ativ S sales. Reading helps, try it sometime.

Sure I probably should have separated that part with a direct quote but I figured most people were smart enough to read between the lines. I guess not.

Last edited:

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of HTC and their "image sense technology" that supposedly makes the HTC 8x awesome. Well, the One X had that same chip and it didn't stop most reviewers from saying that the GS3 had the superior camera. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed so that means the Ativ S will most likely take better pictures than the 8x regardless of how loud HTC is marketing it.

You guys are showing your biases way too easily by trying to disguise them as "facts." :lol:

Last edited:

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
And btw, to address your claim I'm ******, my current phone is a galaxy s ii skyrocket that i quite like. Other thanI'm constantly pressing the back button cause there isn't enough Bezel to hold my phone by. I have it rooted with a very stable galaxy s iii ROM. I got it because the titan i had was to Large and i was disappointed by the camera on my 900. So yes, I'm obviously a blind ****** and not someone who wants a quality product

I don't know, it is pretty difficult for an outsider to judge you as unbiased. First, you rip Winterfang for his opinion that the Ativ S is a superior phone. Then you go on to do the EXACT same thing that you are criticizing him for by saying that the Ativ S is the worst of the three as a fact because it offers features that YOU claim to be less important to consumers. Then you go on to say that HTC invented the wheel and generally is better than Samsung when that is all subjective especially considering the work Samsung has done with Jelly bean.

Any outsider that reads this thread would think that you are ridiculously bias. That is okay though, everyone has their biases. Although I have to give props to Winterfang, at least he is up front about his biases and doesn't try to hide them like you.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Here are some facts: the HTC has a 16:9 screen and is naturally more elongated, bezels assist with holding the phone without accidental screen or button presses, and the huge top bezel on the 8X does not compromise your ability to hold the device. Visual balance exists. There's a reason why the iPhone has largish top and bottom bezels, and why its top bezel is the same size as its bottom bezel despite the speaker grille and sensors being vertically lesser than the home button.

You do know that unlike Nokia, HTC put the capacitive buttons directly in the middle still right? That design feature to prevent accidental button presses only applies to Nokia and not HTC.

The bezels are just fat for the sake of being fat, not as attractive to consumers as you might think.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The bezels are just fat for the sake of being fat, not as attractive to consumers as you might think.
I could argue with you all day, but I honestly cannot be bothered after reading this sentence. You are nowhere near the realm of reality. I wish you luck living in your bubble, but don't ask questions when your beloved Ativ S doesn't sell.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Whenever you claim something is "best" it is almost always subjective. Best for me is not necessarily best for you. This is what makes choice so important. The Ativ is the "best for me" simply because of the expandable storage and large display. It is as simple as that for me and I am sure plenty of others.

The only thing that interests me with Nokia are some of the exclusive apps. This is probably not enough to make me choose the 920 over the Ativ though. I still have a month to decide.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I could argue with you all day, but I honestly cannot be bothered after reading this sentence. You are nowhere near the realm of reality. I wish you luck living in your bubble, but don't ask questions when your beloved Ativ S doesn't sell.

I am not the one living in some weird world where brand recognition does not help your product sell. Besides, I am 100% right that the big bezels on the HTC 8x do absolutely nothing in terms of ergonomics. The capacitive buttons on the Lumia 920 are at the top of the lower bezel, which prevents accidental button presses. The HTC 8x buttons are still right in the middle of the lower bezel, which basically does nothing except look bad.

So it looks like your arguments are getting weaker by the dozen. Not that you guys have anything remotely resembling a decent argument in the first place. I am not even getting the Ativ S by the way, I am getting the Lumia 920 but I am not naive enough to automatically assume the Ativ S is below par compared to the other two based on a spec sheet.

Let's revisit another one of the great unbiased jdeveberg's assumptions that he claims as a fact. Apparently HTC fans are material experts now where they know 100% that CMF is plastic. When it could easily be referring to this

Composite Metal Foam Material Could Be Tomorrow's Knee Cap | Qmed

or this

Communication Metal Fabricating Inc. index

Or it could be plastic, I am not snotty enough to presume in order to cater to my wants. I wait until I see some reviews and get some hands on impressions before reaching conclusions instead of listening to HTC PR about amps, image sense technology or looking at specs sheets and saying CMF, that is plastic right, it must be. :lol:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium