I might...just might, give the first Gen WPhone 8 a miss..

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Android can't manage ram no matter what the specs are. It always finds a way to run slow. Also wouldn't you want to wait for a few WP 8 handsets to come out and possibly get a better one then getting one at launch?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
They will be. I will tell you how. IF, MS comes up with a phone, it will overtake all OEM's specs that's for sure.

I still don't get it.

Microsoft control the os, and the chipsets, so getting a Microsoft phone will just guarantee you a worse app selection than every other phone.

The hardware won't be much different to any other OEMs, best case scenario you'll have the first phone with a certain chipset. Give it a month all other oems will be putting out the same hardware.

The surface is a nice device, and the surface phone mock pictures look stunning, but that's it. It won't change the world.

Best case scenario, maybe Microsoft will offer cheap credit to buy the phone, so everyone buys them from Microsoft and runs them on payg. They already do it with the Xbox, so it's a possibility, and it gets around all the carrier frustrations.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the same exact points as yours and I think I'll let the first WP8 pass. I would love to have a Surface phone coz I see it being similar to the Google pure lines, "The Nexus". I love all the upcoming Windows 8 phones but maybe I'll just hang onto my HD7 for now and see if the Wicked Spec ones will be coming. Also from the look at things, I would love to have a phone that is well supported when it comes to OS updates. Can you imagine my kid brother with the old Nexus S on Android got his Jellybean update as soon as it came out? Those phones are pure and those phones are phones I would love to have on WP. I have been in a lot of pain after hearing Legacy devices won't upgrade and really don't want that to happen again but as you all know, it also depends on Microsoft....they can **** you up and make you sad any time they want. But all the same, I'm with you.

Didn't you just say in another post that you will be getting both the 920 AND the 8x?

Which is it? :straight:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I personally love the extras that Nokia brings but I do have a L900 with me that I am using just fine. Besides, Nokia's PureView technology isn't ending just with OIS. I don't use my phone with gloves as I live in a place where I don't need those, wireless charging is still too much of a gimmick.

I will probably wait but the L920, especially in Cyan, is tempting. Very tempting.

Yeah I have to admit I'm a little tempted too, especially now that I know the cyan actually has a MATTE finish instead of that glossy crap.

The size increase of the 900 is a big turn off for me though. I don't see myself shelling out full price just to get one of these before my upgrade.

The thing that will really MAKE the WP 8 phones special will be the new apps and it's going to take a while for those to really start coming out. Why race out to buy a brand new super high res WP8 phone so you can run WP7 apps written in 2010 on it?

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
well most of the latest rumors on a Surface phone show that it will be a low end cheap device to appeal to the mass market. which makes sense.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
OneX+.

Quadcore LTE, 4.7 screen,64GB of storage
The lovely Tegra 3 and a huge screen. Killer features.

You know, it's not like the Snapdragon S4 is rather widely touted as the superior chipset and this new 4.0" iPhone thing I recent heard about is destroying sales records. But continue on, it's rather enjoyable to see you misconstrue the real facts here in some vain attempt to promote Android.

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

You know, it's not like the Snapdragon S4 is rather widely touted as the superior chipset and this new 4.0" iPhone thing I recent heard about is destroying sales records. But continue on, it's rather enjoyable to see you misconstrue the real facts here in some vain attempt to promote Android.

I know.......he's odd

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Android can't manage ram no matter what the specs are. It always finds a way to run slow. Also wouldn't you want to wait for a few WP 8 handsets to come out and possibly get a better one then getting one at launch?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Absolutely. who better to ask but me. Dealing with a now-forgotten, once-upon-a-time flagship device that stutters and sputters like there is no tomorrow.
And yes, that's what my plan is. Maybe, again people who claim to have seen my posts on other threads, I said Maybe, waiting a little will do wonders..

Sent from my RaZr HD.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely. who better to ask but me. Dealing with a now-forgotten, once-upon-a-time flagship device that stutters and sputters like there is no tomorrow.
And yes, that's what my plan is. Maybe, again people who claim to have seen my posts on other threads, I said Maybe, waiting a little will do wonders..

Sent from my RaZr HD.

The Razr was only available in the US for VZW. I have AT&T, so fortunately I had no way to experience it.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
They will be. I will tell you how. IF, MS comes up with a phone, it will overtake all OEM's specs that's for sure.

Its a very well planned strategy...I think I will be proved right(or even wrong) only as time passes..

Sent from my RaZr HD.

Sorry I don't buy that one bit. An MS phone would still be running the same OS, but might have some hardware upgrades. Sure it would technically be better, but in no way does that make phones like the 920 obsolete.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I don't buy that one bit. An MS phone would still be running the same OS, but might have some hardware upgrades. Sure it would technically be better, but in no way does that make phones like the 920 obsolete.

I agree and I also see it to be more recommended to developers for developing apps just like the Nexus. People like myself would love it and everything but doubt if it will have a market boom or have extreme features that will make the other OEM phones obsolete. With additional features, I doubt if it will have more....it will rather be pure and lack OEM additions to the OS. It'll just be pure OS from Microsoft and nothing extreme.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

Let's compare it to the Hot WP8 devives.

The screen is bigger, the new quad-core ship not only allows lte but runs faster and colder, it has a double the memory of the lumia 920 and four times the HTC8X.Its also thinner and lighter.

What ate killer features to you? Beats Audio and Wireless charging?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I want my Wp8 device and I want it NOW. Sod playing the waiting game in order to somehow get the Wp8 device with the best longevity. It's a game that's almost impossible to win in the tech world.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm another now person. There will always be a better device around the corner, so no point waiting.

I jumped straight into wp7, and my Htc hd7 has had every single update, not always the fastest, but a good combo of phone and carrier means I did really well.

A couple of extra cores or megapixels or an extra inch of screen won't make a dramatic improvement to the 920 or 8x or Ativ s, so I can't see anything worth waiting for.

Stuff like wireless charging and NFC will be an immediate improvement to my day to day life.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You can't be a now person, when you are going to be stuck in a contract for 2/3 years. I wish I would had gotten something like the Mytouch 4G. That phone still kick butt in this year, a friend of mine has it and it always shamed my Optimus 7.

I though without the limits of WP7 kernel we finally would be on par with Android, but OEMs don't care at all, not even Nokia.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hey all...

Would like to begin by accepting the fact that this is slightly negative post...
I'm contemplating if I should give a miss to the first ten devices..I have two very strong points for it.

Firstly, the Surface Phone. Yes...if MS is ultimately going to build a rock solid WP8, why should I invest in the already obsolete technology...? I'm in love with the Surface. And a phone...? Wow!

Secondly, MS is doing it again. Making us wait. That's exactly what had bothered me with HD7. The updates were far and few...everything was a giant question mark.

Right now it feels like we entered the auditorium, sat for the first act and enjoyed the it so far. And now the interval just doesn't seem to end...

Sent from my RaZr HD.

The Snapdragon S4 isn't obsolete by any measure, maybe it will be when the S6 comes out but by then we'll already have upgraded anyway.
You can't be a now person, when you are going to be stuck in a contract for 2/3 years. I wish I would had gotten something like the Mytouch 4G. That phone still kick butt in this year, a friend of mine has it and it always shamed my Optimus 7.

I though without the limits of WP7 kernel we finally would be on par with Android, but OEMs don't care at all, not even Nokia.

Sorry but this is false information. This girl I'm talking to also has the MT4G and it doesn't hold a candle to my HD7 and even she agrees.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I will probably end up getting a wp8 device around launch just because I'm an idiot. Lol. I've been screwed by launch day purchases before and always swear that I won't do it again. Of course I always bite.

lonbraj

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I am going to wait and see what the next round brings, especially from Nokia

Until then, 7.8 will hold me over

That's why MSFT gonna delay 7.8. As far as we know and except hardware support and Windows NT WP8 is basically WP7, if they release 7.8 along with 8 nobody gonna rush for a new phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss