I might...just might, give the first Gen WPhone 8 a miss..

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey all...

Would like to begin by accepting the fact that this is slightly negative post...
I'm contemplating if I should give a miss to the first ten devices..I have two very strong points for it.

Firstly, the Surface Phone. Yes...if MS is ultimately going to build a rock solid WP8, why should I invest in the already obsolete technology...? I'm in love with the Surface. And a phone...? Wow!

Secondly, MS is doing it again. Making us wait. That's exactly what had bothered me with HD7. The updates were far and few...everything was a giant question mark.

Right now it feels like we entered the auditorium, sat for the first act and enjoyed the it so far. And now the interval just doesn't seem to end...

Sent from my RaZr HD.

Last edited:

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the same exact points as yours and I think I'll let the first WP8 pass. I would love to have a Surface phone coz I see it being similar to the Google pure lines, "The Nexus". I love all the upcoming Windows 8 phones but maybe I'll just hang onto my HD7 for now and see if the Wicked Spec ones will be coming. Also from the look at things, I would love to have a phone that is well supported when it comes to OS updates. Can you imagine my kid brother with the old Nexus S on Android got his Jellybean update as soon as it came out? Those phones are pure and those phones are phones I would love to have on WP. I have been in a lot of pain after hearing Legacy devices won't upgrade and really don't want that to happen again but as you all know, it also depends on Microsoft....they can **** you up and make you sad any time they want. But all the same, I'm with you.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The hardware is just fine. If WP8 is still vastly feature incomplete, then Microsoft isn't listening and I don't see why WP8.5 would buck that trend. I'd just pick up a Nexus, no biggie. Here's my question: what's the Surface phone going to bring? The announced hardware is well-designed, and Microsoft has that "enthusiast" program so you can push updates to your device early. I don't see Microsoft outpacing its OEMs much, if at all. Plus, you'd lose OEM exclusives like Nokia Drive+.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I personally love the extras that Nokia brings but I do have a L900 with me that I am using just fine. Besides, Nokia's PureView technology isn't ending just with OIS. I don't use my phone with gloves as I live in a place where I don't need those, wireless charging is still too much of a gimmick.

I will probably wait but the L920, especially in Cyan, is tempting. Very tempting.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the Surface phone will be really sexy on the outside (like the Surface tablet), but I honestly doubt it'll compete with Lumia 920 in actual hardware, mainly the screen and camera.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Though the rumours are rife, they are quite blaring.

And plus, I think the "pure" MS phone will have better add-ons...as they will have the fastest updates which carry more add-ons...

That's what I think..plus, the next big update is really bothering me for the first Gen WP8..

Sent from my RaZr HD.

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
The 'Surface Phone' sexy... umm... I've yet to see a design. The Concept of the Surface Phone looks impressive but that is the only design or mockup I've seen.

Latest rumor is the Surface Phone will be a low-end phone.

The Lumia 900 I have impressed me and the 920 has matured and just by the limited details we have to date this is the device I want. Nokia's camera technology has always been outstanding and I've been impressed by Nokia's input in the ecosystem.

Whichever way it goes I believe we'll all be in for a wild ride soon trying to decide what tablet to go for, what phone to go for and have a number of selections to choose from.

It's gonna be a blast!

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
If you go SIM free, you can have the best of both worlds, great hardware now, that you can sell on to part fund a surface if that is what you want..

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This first gen devices are going to be really behind in specs again by the time it comes out.

OneX+.

Quadcore LTE, 4.7 screen,64GB of storage

Note 2

Quadcore LTE, 5.5 screen, SD card supported.

The 8X looks mid-tier compared to this and so does the Lumia 920. And to be honest, I'm really liking the OneX+.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
To me, processor specs will never make up for the mess that is Android. I have used even some of the best newer android handsets, and the os is just a mess to me. I am going for a new wp8 device at launch. Still not sure which one.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
This first gen devices are going to be really behind in specs again by the time it comes out.

OneX+.

Note 2

The 8X looks mid-tier compared to this and so does the Lumia 920. And to be honest, I'm really liking the OneX+.

You still don't understand that a quad core Tegra 3 or Exynos aren't that far off from a dual core Snapdragon in CPU performance? The only thing that will make the dual core Snapdragon look outdated is the quad core Snapdragon

Maida35

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The hardware is just fine. If WP8 is still vastly feature incomplete, then Microsoft isn't listening and I don't see why WP8.5 would buck that trend. I'd just pick up a Nexus, no biggie. Here's my question: what's the Surface phone going to bring? The announced hardware is well-designed, and Microsoft has that "enthusiast" program so you can push updates to your device early. I don't see Microsoft outpacing its OEMs much, if at all. Plus, you'd lose OEM exclusives like Nokia Drive+.
Hello,

Great idea....thank you.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

OneX+.

Note 2

Looked all over the internet...where did u see the specs of the OneX+?? Is it a WP?

Sent from my RaZr HD.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey all...

Would like to begin by accepting the fact that this is slightly negative post...
I'm contemplating if I should give a miss to the first ten devices..I have two very strong points for it.

Firstly, the Surface Phone. Yes...if MS is ultimately going to build a rock solid WP8, why should I invest in the already obsolete technology...? I'm in love with the Surface. And a phone...? Wow!

Secondly, MS is doing it again. Making us wait. That's exactly what had bothered me with HD7. The updates were far and few...everything was a giant question mark.

Right now it feels like we entered the auditorium, sat for the first act and enjoyed the it so far. And now the interval just doesn't seem to end...

Sent from my RaZr HD.

I've seen you complain about waiting like a dozen times now. We have known the WP8 launch date (Oct 29th) for a long time now. Be a big boy and have some patience. There won't be a Microsoft phone anytime soon.

OneX+.

Note 2

A 4.7+ size screen is a negative in my opinion. I don't want to look like a goon talking into a 5.5 inch phablet especially. And Quad Core processors do nothing for a smartphone, so that's just silly.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I've seen you complain about waiting like a dozen times now. We have known the WP8 launch date (Oct 29th) for a long time now. Be a big boy and have some patience. There won't be a Microsoft phone anytime soon.

I said contemplating...not confirming :)

Yea, I am yet to make a decision, but this superlong half-time that doesn't seem to end is taking the better of me. Also, I need to allocate funds and for that I need to know the prices, which too aren't out. There is a lot Im going through too you know...anyways, thanks for your reply.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I said contemplating...not confirming :)

Yea, I am yet to make a decision, but this superlong half-time that doesn't seem to end is taking the better of me. Also, I need to allocate funds and for that I need to know the prices, which too aren't out. There is a lot Im going through too you know...anyways, thanks for your reply.

That's not unreasonable to me.

I have a friend who still has a contract remaining, so he has to pay full retail for a new device. He has an iPhone 4S but is bored with it. He already tried an SGIII, but took it back. Now he's waiting for the Lumia 920 and wants to check it out.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
If you wait for the next best thing in the tech world then you probably will be waiting a long time. The only time I would wait is if I knew there was going to be a big jump in technology but a MS phone would not be miles ahead of say a 920 in terms of specs.

I am using an HD7 and a 710 - both phones are either old, or "low end" and I have no problems with either other than the battery life is so-so, and the cameras are below average. Other than that they get me through a normal day of calls, texting and emails. In no way are they obsolete at the moment. So if you get a 920 or 8X, they won't be anywhere near obsolete if MS releases a phone.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If you wait for the next best thing in the tech world then you probably will be waiting a long time. The only time I would wait is if I knew there was going to be a big jump in technology but a MS phone would not be miles ahead of say a 920 in terms of specs.

I am using an HD7 and a 710 - both phones are either old, or "low end" and I have no problems with either other than the battery life is so-so, and the cameras are below average. Other than that they get me through a normal day of calls, texting and emails. In no way are they obsolete at the moment. So if you get a 920 or 8X, they won't be anywhere near obsolete if MS releases a phone.

They will be. I will tell you how. IF, MS comes up with a phone, it will overtake all OEM's specs that's for sure.

Its a very well planned strategy...I think I will be proved right(or even wrong) only as time passes..

Sent from my RaZr HD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss