What OEM will reach to the top of the mountain?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yea. But Nokia and HTC are like clear enemies? So Nokia and htc are clearly in war

Not they are not, Nokia just felt threatened by HTC be because their phones look alike. Also Nokia attacked Samsung also.

First with the dumb picket signs, then they had the ATIV on the list of "boring" phones at their L920 announcement.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Not they are not, Nokia just felt threatened by HTC be because their phones look alike. Also Nokia attacked Samsung also.

First with the dumb picket signs, then they had the ATIV on the list of "boring" phones at their L920 announcement.

It's a fine line between being threatened and being indignant at a design clearly inspired by what Nokia have done, so I don't blame you for feeling that Nokia feels so threatened by HTC.

Oh, and making fun of other companies isn't necessarily bad. PC vs Mac and Samsung's Next Big Thing ads are all done in a mocking way, but they worked. And somehow when Nokia is doing it, they are just blatantly attacking.

I will also note that both Samsung and HTC have products that are out that are competing directly with the WP lineup. Who throws the ad dollars and get the phones out in the spotlight more prominently will win this round of WP8. And when your attention are divided, where will you throw the ad dollars? I will also add that HTC isn't as big as Samsung and can't throw the ad dollars equally on both products.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to give my vote to HTC overall. I'm biased as I've stated in previous threads, all my devices through the years have been HTC built and I've never owned a pocket computer device built by any others. It just worked out that way.

But, looking at the other device makers, Samsung is doing far too much with Droid to give Windows serious consideration. HTC has a track record of producing really high quality Windows devices. Look at the Dell Axim x51v. the device was years ahead of ti's time at the time. They have the resources and technology still at hand to build outstanding devices that can blow the others out of the water.

Nokia, I just can't see them moving far if they continue to provide "exclusives". They are severely limiting their market and focusing on one, very small, market percentage. If they wanted to make the U.S. market something they can control, it would be by providing a device that works for every carrier out there. Then, with their "exclusive" apps, more people would be in THEIR market and want THEIR apps. That would increase THEIR profits.

I still just don't get the whole marketing debacle that has been Windows Phone from the beginning.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Nokia or possibly HTC. I say possibly because you have to MARKET a phone. You can't expect people to just buy colorful phones on a whim with no advertising

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Nokia by a country mile.

They are the only ones that NEED WP8. They've also created the flagship device. They'll target all their advertising at WP8, and their exclusives are with the only companies that are training their employees to understand and sell WP8.

Htc will come in next, the 8x is brilliantly priced, and the 8s, should be the cheapest wp8 device.

Other than the launch of the device, I've seen nothing about the Ativ s. Maybe Samsung are waiting, or maybe they just aren't bothered at all.

Silly Putty

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Nokia by a country mile.

They are the only ones that NEED WP8. They've also created the flagship device. They'll target all their advertising at WP8, and their exclusives are with the only companies that are training their employees to understand and sell WP8.

Htc will come in next, the 8x is brilliantly priced, and the 8s, should be the cheapest wp8 device.

Other than the launch of the device, I've seen nothing about the Ativ s. Maybe Samsung are waiting, or maybe they just aren't bothered at all.

You're crazy if you think the Lumia will still sell better than HTC.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You're crazy if you think the Lumia will still sell better than HTC.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Why would you say that? Right now, most regular people who know of WP associate it with Lumia.

When Nokia released their Lumias, they outsold all the other WP OEMs combined.

Online polls taken by general tech sited have shown a good level of excitement for Nokia's products.

Meanwhile, outside of devoted WP fans, nobody really knows about HTC's devices.

It wouldn't be crazy at all to think that Nokia is going to be the sales leader for WP.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Why would you say that? Right now, most regular people who know of WP associate it with Lumia.

When Nokia released their Lumias, they outsold all the other WP OEMs combined.

Online polls taken by general tech sited have shown a good level of excitement for Nokia's products.

Meanwhile, outside of devoted WP fans, nobody really knows about HTC's devices.

It wouldn't be crazy at all to think that Nokia is going to be the sales leader for WP.

I think the 8x will benefit from lumia as well. Not everyone will know difference in the phones. They see the cute red and yellow phones advertised and go to tmobile/verizon and ask for it and smart sales guy yes here are the red yellow windows phones....most customers will not know the difference.

Besides for those of us who have to buy full price, if prices I have seen are right that lumia is $700-$800 and 8x $500-$600, 920 is too much for me, especially at Christmas.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Lumia might end up being a somewhat generic term meaning "Windows Phone" to many people, like how Droid was synonymous with Android, Kleenex is synonymous with tissue paper, and Coke is synonymous with dark soda.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the 8x will benefit from lumia as well. Not everyone will know difference in the phones. They see the cute red and yellow phones advertised and go to tmobile/verizon and ask for it and smart sales guy yes here are the red yellow windows phones....most customers will not know the difference.

This precisely is why Apple sued Samsung and why Nokia should sue HTC.

The world basically has two kinds of smartphone makers now. #1 Apple and Nokia and #2 the companies that slavishly crank out designs "inspired" by Apple or Nokia because they can't form an original design that doesn't suck or look generic as ****.

If Apple or Nokia ever drops out of the smartphone business, prepare for things to get REALLY boring and to see very little art in the design of future smartphones. Just black boxes interspersed with the occasional rambunctious and risky design, but even those will lack any of the classic design qualities that only companies focused on the ART of design can produce.

It would be quite sad really.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
This precisely is why Apple sued Samsung and why Nokia should sue HTC.

The world basically has two kinds of smartphone makers now. #1 Apple and Nokia and #2 the companies that slavishly crank out designs "inspired" by Apple or Nokia because they can't form an original design that doesn't suck or look generic as ****.

If Apple or Nokia ever drops out of the smartphone business, prepare for things to get REALLY boring and to see very little art in the design of future smartphones. Just black boxes interspersed with the occasional rambunctious and risky design, but even those will lack any of the classic design qualities that only companies focused on the ART of design can produce.

It would be quite sad really.

Jolla's around and I wouldn't count them out for nice designs. They are made up of ex-Nokians after all. Sony designs are quite good too.

Still, given the really uninspired designs from the other manufacturers, especially from Samsung, LG, Motorola and co, I hope the real design companies don't die just yet.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think Sony makes the nicest looking phones and its not even close. Also, Apple has been following ever since they released the first iPhone. The iPhone looks prehistoric these days imo.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I honestly think Sony makes the nicest looking phones and its not even close. Also, Apple has been following ever since they released the first iPhone. The iPhone looks prehistoric these days imo.

I got to say that it surprises me how the Xperia design language isn't gaining ground. That said, Samsung does have the bulk of the accessories among the Android players, something Apple created accidentally with its 'you are holding it wrong' fiasco. And this is why uninspired design will still rule since adding your own touch to the devices is the current trend.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. The windiws phone OEM war is almost starting. And which OEM will reach to the top?

Samsung said they want to dominate wp by using their galaxy strategy. (I know surprising) iwth their samsung ativ S and most likely use Verizon and t-mobile to advertise the phone. And verizon's flagship model.
Htc said they are going bug on wp and putting half of their focus into windows phone. And they are going to have a massive campaign on the 8s and 8X. They are going to multiple carriers and and t-mobile's advertised phone. advertising it.
Nokia is going to use the 920 and advertise it much much more heavily with at&t joing them.

So which OEM is going to reach to the top of the mountain

AT&T are going to get the lumia 920 and has a massive launch with wp8 and windows 8. 920 as their flagship
T-mobile will get the ativ S and 8X. But t-mobile will likely advertise the 8X
Verizon will get the Samsung ativ S and 8X and most likely the 920 later. They will likely advertise the 8X and ativ s first then get the 920 next. Also they are going all in for windows phone. Since they need a third player and this is their opportunity to do so.

VZW has still not announced a single WP8 device. I really wish people would stop putting phones on their shelves until they actually do announce them. They hardly have a good track record with Windows Phones. BTW, HTC lists the HTC 8X on their website as being an AT&T phone. FCC certification does not mean a carrier is going to sell a phone. It means the phone can be sold. Launch date is three weeks away. I think that says as much about what they are going to carry as any speculation in the midst of their silence. People did the same speculating when WP7 was released and how far did that get VZW customers?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)