Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By PG2G

What I'll give up most at this point is mapping. The HTC won't have built in Turn By Turn except for what comes with Bing maps so I need to purchase one. Who makes the best 3rd party mapping apps in the market? Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by Techblogger View Post
    What I'll give up most at this point is mapping. The HTC won't have built in Turn By Turn except for what comes with Bing maps so I need to purchase one. Who makes the best 3rd party mapping apps in the market? Thanx.
    I believe real turn by turn is going to be available on every Windows Phone 8 device courtesy of Nokia

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PG2G View Post
    I believe real turn by turn is going to be available on every Windows Phone 8 device courtesy of Nokia
    We've seen Nokia sporting a "Drive+" app though. Current Drive is unfortunately not a full-blown Satnav replacement yet, with limited options for destinations (cannot specify intersections), no services marked on map (petrol stations) and no routing options (avoid road X).

Quote Originally Posted by PG2G View Post
    The only people I've heard talk about Nokia Drive is Nokia on Nokia powered phones.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    i have been curious...is there a way to get the Nokia exclusive apps running on non-Nokia phones? i figured that someone had cracked that code by now, but i have no idea.

I guess we'll have to see what they mean when they say turn-by-turn. I would agree that they haven't been too clear on that end of things.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Nokia Drive will be in all Windows Phone.

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    There is also the wireless charging and the Pureview camera. Plus Nokia most likely have apps in the works that we do not even know about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I jumped ship from VZW to ATT for the 900, but it's shattered (it was so beautiful that I hated to have it protected, so now I'm using a phone with a badly cracked screen). I'll save a lot of money by jumping back to VZW and rejoining my wife on a family plan, so I'll get the best VZW WP8 phone that comes out this year.

I've become so dependent on Nokia Drive (my first GPS - skipped the stand-alone units) on my 900 that to me, the "best" WP8 phone has to have it. Assuming there's no 920 variant for VZW, I would pick the 820 (or variant) if necessary to get Nokia Drive, but if it's available on all WP8 devices, I'd be more likely to go with the 8X.

Whoops. Maybe I shouldn't be posting this until the decision is locked in stone, since consumers like me are the reason Nokia should want to keep Drive all to itself.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    HTC does have a built in Locations service on their phones. I'm not sure how useful it is though, as I've never really used it. Does cost money though :(

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Do the turn by turn apps above and beyond Bing cost money?

Quote Originally Posted by Mio_BB View Post
    There is also the wireless charging and the Pureview camera. Plus Nokia most likely have apps in the works that we do not even know about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I know man, I know. Seems I think I want the wireless charging but the camera I'm not real sure about. Nokia is a bit slimy with what their camera quality is about so I'll wait until I can at least get a demo device "in hand." But good news on Nokia Drive. Thanks Winderfang.

PIN
    Email
    Every1 here forgot to say support . Htc doesn't have all its eggs in 1 basket as Nokia does . Nokia drive on all windows 8 phones was confirmed on launch . But so far they've remain tight lip on it . And I don't see Nokia giving away a full version of drive and offer a watered down 1 !!
    I have Navigon for Europe great Nav, has alternate routes, turn by turn and augmented reality like Nokia City lens. Check it out.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html