Windows Live email question please?

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick question:

I am trying to convert to windows ecosystem slowly but have an issue right from the start.

I opened a new email address form @live.com the issue is that it looks like it diesnt support imap. For me that means I cant have all the sub-folders that I need to create and have them also sync with other devices like my laptop or desktop, tablets or phones. By sync, I mean sync all my sub-folders as well as my entire email.

This seems strange to me that it doesnt work since gmail and apple mail all support imap. Is this indeed the case that it diesnt support imap or am I doing it all wrong? If it doesnt support imap, is there another solution?

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Outlook.com/ hotmail/ live mail, doesn't support imap it uses EAS and pop. EAS (exchange active sync) is in many ways better than imap and does everything you mentioned you wanted. Now you will run into problems if you are using Apple mail on a mac because for whatever reason it doesn't work with apple mail, it will work on any other device that supports EAS but not apple mail. What devices are you trying to sync with?

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Outlook.com/ hotmail/ live mail, doesn't support imap it uses EAS and pop. EAS (exchange active sync) is in many ways better than imap and does everything you mentioned you wanted. Now you will run into problems if you are using Apple mail on a mac because for whatever reason it doesn't work with apple mail, it will work on any other device that supports EAS but not apple mail. What devices are you trying to sync with?

I guess your a 100% right. I don't see any of my sub-folders in Apple Mail but I do see them on the iPhone and iPad. I planned on getting the new Nokia 920 when it comes out and just wanted to be sure when I create sub-folders that they also go on the 920 as well. I wonder if office for Mac Outlook will support EAS?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I guess your a 100% right. I don't see any of my sub-folders in Apple Mail but I do see them on the iPhone and iPad. I planned on getting the new Nokia 920 when it comes out and just wanted to be sure when I create sub-folders that they also go on the 920 as well. I wonder if office for Mac Outlook will support EAS?
It should, but to my recollection the most up to date version of Office for Mac is 2008. EAS is worlds better than IMAP. I hate my gmail IMAP because it's slow as **** and just simply isn't as seamless as my live account with EAS.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

Yea, I have email (outlook.com) on my lumia 900, outlook (desktop) my son's ipad, and an old iphone 3g...all of them work all the folders show up everything works fine...just not in apple mail. My from what I have read the new version of outlook or enturage(if they are still calling it that) for mac will work with EAS just like it does on everything else. So you should be good there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18