Updated TellMe with Apollo?

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Am i the only one that's seriously hoping that MSFT will reveal new developments with TellMe when they officially unveil at the end of this month? Surely there's more that we're unaware of

Anyone remember this? All the pieces are now in place except TellMe. Smart Glass is around the corner, updated Xbox 360, Windows 8 tablets, and WP8.
[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB6pWs46GY8[/YT]

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I think their TellMe improvements will be related to the third party APIs and (probably) integration into their own apps (like Music and Calendar). If we were going to get natural language they probably would have shown it back when they were demoing voice integration for apps.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If this is the "one more thing" - I think I'll totally understand why Siri was such a big deal for iOS users. I am happy to let go of any other hopes I have if this turns out to be a reality for WP8. I am however expecting this level of natural voice to only hit us after WP9 or 9.5 when the whole platform and ecosystem is popular enough to experiment.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I think that they will have improved the base level OS commands, though I don't think they will have natural conversation with it. For the love of Sagan, I need to be able to say "Navigate to the nearest Tim Hortons" and have it open up turn by turn directions.

With the native code support, I expect third party apps, like Nokia Drive, to add keywords like this and to intercept them at the OS level. I think this is where we will see the biggest improvements.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I think that they will have improved the base level OS commands, though I don't think they will have natural conversation with it. For the love of Sagan, I need to be able to say "Navigate to the nearest Tim Hortons" and have it open up turn by turn directions.

With the native code support, I expect third party apps, like Nokia Drive, to add keywords like this and to intercept them at the OS level. I think this is where we will see the biggest improvements.

That makes me ask the question - Does new Siri in iPhone 5 already do that? I have an iPod but of course Siri is non-existant other than "Play me Beyonce"

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I use TellMe for texting and search sometimes, it's very useful there.

If they just added support for email and made the search better and improved the accuracy a little I'd be happy with that.

I'd be very surprised if some major improvements and updates weren't included in WP8 or at least added by updates within the first year.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Alright you guys, so maybe the flowing conversation part is still a little bit aways off. Let's hope Skynet isn't right after that (i joke, i joke...).

Other than for searching things, or texting i would love to have my phone "know me" a little bit. Know when i get home or to work pinging GPS once an hour and switch on the WiFi etc. Fluid conversation is a must though, especially when so many things in WP are not just apps, but native to the OS.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I need to be able to say "Navigate to the nearest Tim Hortons" and have it open up turn by turn directions.

"I'm sorry, Immortal, but you've not been walking enough, according to my accelerometer, so we're going to get walking directions. When you arrive, I will deactivate Microsoft Wallet for your purchase except for the heart-healthy Bran Muffin, since you're over your caloric intake. And we'll need to do some jumping jacks on the way back. This is your TellMe Enhanced Nag...ehrm Navigator."

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
That makes me ask the question - Does new Siri in iPhone 5 already do that? I have an iPod but of course Siri is non-existant other than "Play me Beyonce"
I'm not sure. I've never used a 4S for more than a few minutes. I'm not looking for the faux conversation provided by Siri, just some more natural voice commands like that.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
"I'm sorry, Immortal, but you've not been walking enough, according to my accelerometer, so we're going to get walking directions. When you arrive, I will deactivate Microsoft Wallet for your purchase except for the heart-healthy Bran Muffin, since you're over your caloric intake. And we'll need to do some jumping jacks on the way back. This is your TellMe Enhanced Nag...ehrm Navigator."
:D

If the phone tracked my health with bluetooth 4.0 devices, I wouldn't complain if it did this lol. Though, if the phone was that smart, it probably wouldn't have liked the fact that I took my motorcycle to Tims today, had a large double double and smoked a cigar I got from cuba :D

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I use TellMe for texting and search sometimes, it's very useful there.

If they just added support for email and made the search better and improved the accuracy a little I'd be happy with that.

I'd be very surprised if some major improvements and updates weren't included in WP8 or at least added by updates within the first year.

I use email sometimes instead of sms text do to my wife being at her work desk all day with her outlook open. I get a much faster response. I wish the tellme service was added to email, I hope for this with the 7.8 update as well.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
:D

If the phone tracked my health with bluetooth 4.0 devices, I wouldn't complain if it did this lol. Though, if the phone was that smart, it probably wouldn't have liked the fact that I took my motorcycle to Tims today, had a large double double and smoked a cigar I got from cuba :D

Cigars and donuts... Ontarian hedonism!

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright you guys, so maybe the flowing conversation part is still a little bit aways off. Let's hope Skynet isn't right after that (i joke, i joke...).

Wait.. Microsoft bought Skype.

....and Microsoft already has .Net...

When you combine the two....

Z25eI.png

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Tellme is quite a way behind Siri in regards to functionality and the voice recognition itself is inferior. I really hope Tellme is a priority at the minute.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

It's the Naggigator!

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Tellme is quite a way behind Siri in regards to functionality and the voice recognition itself is inferior. I really hope Tellme is a priority at the minute.

I agree. I so badly wish TellMe was more functional and supported natural language (at least to some extent) instead of robotic ("find pizza hut" or "Text wife"). This is actually my number one wish in Windows Phone 8 (along with freaking VPN support...I mean come on..it's a Microsoft product....). It's interpretation of speech is also quite poor. I find that if it doesn't understand what I said the first time, I just cancel and try again and don't even re-submitting voice queries to be translated because with each time it says "speak again" it just gets worse and worse, to the point of frustration. For example, I can say "Text Wife"...."Hey how was your day"; if it translates "Hey how was today" and I try again, it'll spit out something like "Hey was today" and then just keep going downhill from there...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon