Could the 8X be the WP8 "sleeper hit" in the US?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
No it isn't. Because it doesn't exist.

You should be able to give at least one example to prove your point that it is the flagship WP8 device according to Microsoft.

Microsoft was there to promote both the Lumia 920 and the 8X. The 8X just happened to come after the Lumia event.

Here's an idea - go to the Microsoft website and to the Windows Phone page. What do you see at the very top of the page? The two new HTC phones being displayed in all their glory. Why are they up there instead of Nokia's phones?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Here's an idea - go to the Microsoft website and to the Windows Phone page. What do you see at the very top of the page? The two new HTC phones being displayed in all their glory. Why are they up there instead of Nokia's phones?

Because the Lumia 920 was there first. And then HTC held their event second. And so it is showing the latest update. Hence why it says "Introducing the". Because it was last updated the day of the event. Notice how to the bottom left of it, it has the Nokia logo with a link to the 920 page saying "Introducing the"? That's because it was added right before the HTC stuff. That's just how webpages work. The top story on WPCentral is the newest, not the most important.

Derp.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If all the carriers are stocking the 8X, i can't imagine they will be that bothered about advertising it, so its down to just how much HTC advertise the phones, i'd hope their tie in with Microsoft should help hugely with that.

I dunno. T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon are all advertising the heck out of the Galaxy S III. Carriers are interested, first and foremost, in low handset costs. The 8X will cost carriers a whole lot less per contract-signing customer than an iPhone 5... if they can differentiate on the network and related services, they're happy to sell an "everyman's phone."

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
No it isn't. Because it doesn't exist.

You should be able to give at least one example to prove your point that it is the flagship WP8 device according to Microsoft.

Microsoft was there to promote both the Lumia 920 and the 8X. The 8X just happened to come after the Lumia event.

He's right, I believe the word Microsoft used was 'signature' although I may be wrong. They worked very closely with HTC hence why these phones are being known as "Windows Phone 8X" and "Windows Phone 8S". It's mostly to combat the fact that right now people are more aware of the Lumia brand than of Windows Phone

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I think the one x advertising is excellent but the they still have lackluster sales.

Keep in mind that the One X is a carrier-exclusive phone. If you want one, you HAVE to go to AT&T.

Ironically, in Windows Phone World, HTC 8X is the Samsung Galaxy S III (e.g. available everywhere) while the Lumia 920 is the One X (a great handset available only on AT&T).

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
He's right, I believe the word Microsoft used was 'signature' although I may be wrong. They worked very closely with HTC hence why these phones are being known as "Windows Phone 8X" and "Windows Phone 8S". It's mostly to combat the fact that right now people are more aware of the Lumia brand than of Windows Phone

Well clearly Microsoft needs both phones to sell. And Nokia is lightyears ahead of HTC as far as advertising goes. Plus with AT&T footing the bill for Nokia, HTC needs the help.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't see any wp8 device getting marketed hard. Look at the 900 and how fast that advertising fizzled out.
Trust me, WP8 devices will be marketed hard. It's do or die time for Windows Phone.

Regarding the 900s marketing, well for starters, the whole "the beta test is over" was a shi*ty campaign. Also, Nokia must've been already working on the 920/820 series by the time the 900 was released, and *probably* felt the money was best saved for WP8 device marketing. I mean, the 900 came out in freakin' April.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft called the 8X their flagship phone at the HTC launch. You don't need to go any farther than that. The 920 is a far superior product but for some reason Microsoft seems to be going with 8X.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The beta test advertising was successful! My android and ios friends all made reference to it. I don't know about sales but it definitely drew attention.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
8X is available on all three major WP carriers. 920 isn't. I have no doubt that Microsoft's interest in HTC begins and ends with that fact... in order to grow WP share, Microsoft has to make it easy for people on every carrier to purchase a high-quality handset in the high end and mid range. The 8X and 8S fit the bill in that respect... in fact, right now, they're the only handsets that do.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
The beta test advertising was successful! My android and ios friends all made reference to it. I don't know about sales but it definitely drew attention.
How is advertising success measured? Pretty sure sales growth is the top one. Elop wasn't happy with the sales figures of the 900.

Regarding your iOS and Android friends, did the 900 advertising make them consider Windows as their next phone?

8X is available on all three major WP carriers. 920 isn't. I have no doubt that Microsoft's interest in HTC begins and ends with that fact... in order to grow WP share, Microsoft has to make it easy for people on every carrier to purchase a high-quality handset in the high end and mid range. The 8X and 8S fit the bill in that respect... in fact, right now, they're the only handsets that do.
^THIS^

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft called the 8X their flagship phone at the HTC launch. You don't need to go any farther than that. The 920 is a far superior product but for some reason Microsoft seems to be going with 8X.

Once again, no they didn't. They said it was a "signature" windows 8 phone. Which is just a buzz word.

Microsoft isn't going with anything. They are just helping HTC more because AT&T is footing the marketing/subsidization bill entirely for Nokia.

Period. That is it. That is the reason. If you think Microsoft gives a crap about either company beyond wanting WP8 to gain marketshare, then I have a ketchup Popsicle to sell this lady with white gloves. HTC has the inferior phone, and thusly, needs the help. If you mention Windows Phone 8 to anyone not biased, the first phone that will pop into their head is the Lumia 920.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I think it may come down to pricing. The 8x will be cheaper one would guess. Look for the 920 to be 249 with contract and the 8x 199. Might not seem like much but with two similar phones HTC will steal a ton of sales.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I think it may come down to pricing. The 8x will be cheaper one would guess. Look for the 920 to be 249 with contract and the 8x 199. Might not seem like much but with two similar phones HTC will steal a ton of sales.
Very true. I personally am not ready to plunk down $250 for any phone, no matter how stellar it may be. If that means I'll have to pass on the 920, so be it.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Why not? We first need to assume that WP8 will drum up huge interest. Then we need to assume that HTC has the spotlight with ads and salespeople behind it in T-mobile and Verizon, 2 places that doesn't have the L920. We then assume that other flagships like the One X+ from HTC themselves wouldn't sway consumers away from the 8X.

If all assumptions are satisfied, sure, it will be the sleeper hit of WP8. But just how likely is it? Will Verizon get their salespeople the training to be less biased against MS? Will T-mobile push the 8X over their Note II or S3, or even the L810? These are legitimate questions to ask before we assume anything.

Oh, and that's the same questions one has to ask of Nokia in the AT&T range. Can the L920 truly stand out from the crowd compared to the avalanche of Android devices and the iPhone 5?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Why not? We first need to assume that WP8 will drum up huge interest. Then we need to assume that HTC has the spotlight with ads and salespeople behind it in T-mobile and Verizon, 2 places that doesn't have the L920. We then assume that other flagships like the One X+ from HTC themselves wouldn't sway consumers away from the 8X.

If all assumptions are satisfied, sure, it will be the sleeper hit of WP8. But just how likely is it? Will Verizon get their salespeople the training to be less biased against MS? Will T-mobile push the 8X over their Note II or S3, or even the L810? These are legitimate questions to ask before we assume anything.

Oh, and that's the same questions one has to ask of Nokia in the AT&T range. Can the L920 truly stand out from the crowd compared to the avalanche of Android devices and the iPhone 5?
Well to be honest I'm not asking people to assume anything, just getting a feeling of what people think will happen.

You raise a good question about Verizon. They haven't dealt with Windows Phone in a long time so I don't know how committed they will be to the new phones, although if they have (so far) two phones for November, it tells me they are committing to something.

T-Mobile strikes me as a "WP-friendly" carrier. I didn't hear many stories about them trashing WP as much as the other carriers, but that is just my perception.

As far as the 920 standing out from the crowd compared to the avalanche of Androids and iPhone 5s, well that is something ALL Windows Phones will have to deal with in one way or another.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
the windows phone 8X will without a doubt outsell the 920 in north america for multiple reasons.

- the 8X is very nice looking.
- the lumia 920 is tied to only 2 providers in north america (AT&T and Rogers).
- the 8X also has it's advantages (size, audio, fast camera)
- the 8X seems to be launching on all providers.
- by the looks of it nokia's real focus is the 800 series and the 920 being just for bragging rights.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Believe it not, I actually want that. In combo with that wide angle ffc, is leaning me towards the 8X over anything else. And I'm on Sprint and will have the ability to leave soon, so anything will go.

Thanks

-Doc
Dude I'm pretty sure independentvolume was being sarcastic when he said that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb