Comparing Lumia 920 & Lumia 900

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Man, look at the start screen on the 900 though. 4 vertical tiles. only 3 vertical tiles on the 920. Too bad they didnt keep the gutter.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Don't care. It's longer and wider and those are the dimensions that are going to make it less comfortable to use one-handed and less comfortable in a pocket. :(

Yes, Nokia did such a bad job making the 920:

LUMIA 920 COMPARED TO THE LUMIA 900

Width: +2%
Height: +3%
Thickness: -7%

Display size: +14%
Battery size: +9%
OIS + Wireless charging (additional space-demanding components)

I'll take this trade any day.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Nokia did such a bad job making the 920:

LUMIA 920 COMPARED TO THE LUMIA 900

Width: +2%
Height: +3%
Thickness: -7%

Display size: +14%
Battery size: +9%
OIS + Wireless charging (additional space-demanding components)

I'll take this trade any day.

They didn't do a bad job at all. I'm just relating my personal preferences. I realize that bigger and bigger phones is the popular trend right now unfortunately. I just feel my L900 is already almost too big. I prefer a phone that is very easy to handle and use with one hand if you don't have a 5" long thumb.

I'm trying to reserve my judgement until I can hold a 920 in my hand, but I'm disappointed because the size is probably one of the very few things I don't like about my 900. More width, length and weight is not welcome for me, I was hoping for LESS. The thickness I could care less about, it has no bearing on how easy the phone is to use one handed and little on the pocketability. A Pureview 808 is very thick by comparison, but way more pocketable because it's curved and it's not the size of a roofing tile.

I'll see if the size and weight of this thing is an acceptable compromise for all the awesome it contains. If not, I'm looking at the 810/820 as my concession prize. Either way I'll be happy I think. For right now I'm happy with my 900 so I'll stick with it while I wait and see.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Great post Socialcarpet. Nokia shouldn't get a free pass.

Nokia absolutely should get a free pass in this matter. When the markets are demanding more and more bigger screens and increased performance without sacrificing battery life, it's going to demand some serious engineering to bring all that without increasing the device size. Nokia managed to bring improvements in all those fronts with only minor size increase to the Lumia 900 while slapping OIS and wireless charging in there as well.

Whether there should be options to have smaller flagship-specification devices is a different debate completely and you know that, you're just too busy to remember that when there's that snide part of your personality constantly screaming in your head.

socialcarpet, I hope there will be options more suitable for you available in the future, but at the moment the trend is that bigger is better. I too would love to see a device using the 'Fabula' design language of Lumia 800 with WP8 specs, I would probably buy that instantly. I would not even mind a lower resolution, as with screen size of 4" you don't really need a HD resolution anyway.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Great post Socialcarpet. Nokia shouldn't get a free pass.

They shouldn't get a free pass. But trolling with a picture that depicts Nokia being as heavy as a rock, you must be so unbiased.

Come on Winterfang, you don't really like Nokia. And I respect that. But acting like you are all neutral? Please.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I already find the Lumia to be awkward to hold (without a case), so something bigger and wider with the same design isn't looking too good for my tastes. The Ativ S looks like the Galaxy S 3 and may have to try it out in the store, but the 8X is really killing it design wise as far as the current lineup goes for catching my eye. The others just look.......the same as other things before

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I already find the Lumia to be awkward to hold (without a case), so something bigger and wider with the same design isn't looking too good for my tastes. The Ativ S looks like the Galaxy S 3 and may have to try it out in the store, but the 8X is really killing it design wise as far as the current lineup goes for catching my eye. The others just look.......the same as other things before

Without the actual devices, it will be hard to say which are the devices to clamour for.

Although I have to say that personal preference is the game here. I find the S3, HTC One X and L900 comfortable, iPhone 5 too light. It may be that I will find the L920 heavy, but I doubt it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro