Ex Nokia CEO not a fan of Elop

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
First of all, holy crap... Slashdot?! I stopped reading their drivel years ago!

Second, I'm sorry... remind me, why is this man the FORMER CEO again? No really, remind me why, because try as I might, Bing and Google show nothing but his vitriol and hatred (and articles about that vitriol and hatred) of every subsequent CEO since his departure, but I can't find one single article showing how great he was or why he's gone or anything of the sort. Even the Wikipedia article on Nokia doesn't mention him, so in my mind, clearly he's a nobody who's just bitter and angry.

Heck, I've posted on FB and Twitter about my former employers being incompetent too, and nobody bothers to blog about it... and I'm actually RIGHT... so why do we care what this guy says?

Even if he's right, and even if he's God's gift to Nokia, who's going to listen to someone who's done nothing but publicly spout off negativity for the past 3 years?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Tommi Ahonen is not old Nokia CEO. He was Nokia executive way back in the day. I believe he was in Nokia somewhere in the 90's and left before early 2000 when Nokia was rocking at being even largest European company for a while.

Tommi Ahonen is famous Nokia hater that works for some big media houses as a analyst and has his own company these days.

It's unbelievable how he straight out lies. He does absolutely make good points as well, but the lying to me makes hard to take him serious.
http://dominiescommunicate.wordpres...oples-perception-of-nokia-has-been-destroyed/

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
First of all, holy crap... Slashdot?! I stopped reading their drivel years ago!

Second, I'm sorry... remind me, why is this man the FORMER CEO again? No really, remind me why, because try as I might, Bing and Google show nothing but his vitriol and hatred (and articles about that vitriol and hatred) of every subsequent CEO since his departure, but I can't find one single article showing how great he was or why he's gone or anything of the sort. Even the Wikipedia article on Nokia doesn't mention him, so in my mind, clearly he's a nobody who's just bitter and angry.

Heck, I've posted on FB and Twitter about my former employers being incompetent too, and nobody bothers to blog about it... and I'm actually RIGHT... so why do we care what this guy says?

Even if he's right, and even if he's God's gift to Nokia, who's going to listen to someone who's done nothing but publicly spout off negativity for the past 3 years?
Well said.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Tommi Ahonen is not old Nokia CEO. He was Nokia executive way back in the day. I believe he was in Nokia somewhere in the 90's and left before early 2000 when Nokia was rocking at being even largest European company for a while.

Tommi Ahonen is famous Nokia hater that works for some big media houses as a analyst and has his own company these days.

It's unbelievable how he straight out lies. He does absolutely make good points as well, but the lying to me makes hard to take him serious.
How people’s perception of Nokia has been destroyed ? Dominies Communicate

I just looked him up on LinkedIn. He only worked for Nokia for 3 years. He was segmentation manager from 1998-1999 and global head of 3G business consulting from 1999-2001.

I question how someone who hasn't been at Nokia in 11 years and has been an author, consultant and public speaker for the past 10 years has anything relevant to say about Nokia's current business practices.

itssimplyjeff1

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I actually love windows phone, and I'm going to be getting the 920 when it comes out(I've even gotten my dad the focus flash, and convinced my mom to get the 920) but what he says makes sense guys. He's not even hating that hard. He admits that the product is good, and its the relationship with the retailers and the clients that are bad. He talks about how the burning platform memo hurt their sales and its true. I love the lumia phones, but it does seem like they jumped the gun on WP. As a WP fan, I love the decision, but objectively speaking they probably shouldn't have jumped the ship so soon unless it was 100% that symbian was you g to fail worldwide. It obviously wasn't going to be a success stateside, so they probably should have made both WP and symbian phones. That way they differentiate their strategy in case if one fails. From what I read on the actual long article mainly what he was trying to as that they placed all of their eggs on one basket and it wasn't the best idea financally .

Also if WP8 doesn't catch on, which I really hope isn't the case, Nokia is done for.

What exactly is he lying about? I'm just curious. I stopped reading 3/4 way cause it was super long.

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
News flash. When a "former" anything bashes the organization to which they used to be associated, their opinion is generally agreed to be invalid.

What you say if you were asked what you thought of an ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
News flash. When a "former" anything bashes the organization to which they used to be associated, their opinion is generally agreed to be invalid.

What you say if you were asked what you thought of an ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

And unless one starts his/her own company and has no need for any contacts/referrals/clients from his/her former employer, that type of bad-mouthing is a guarantee of not getting hired by another company.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I read the original article. He definitely sounds bitter about his tenure at Nokia, but he does raise some valid concerns. I am thrilled that Microsoft has a partner dedicated to making handsets. But is this going to prove to be a good thing for Nokia? I'm not sure. His point about how Microsoft screwed Nokia over by announcing W8 was in development not long after W7.5 came out certainly didn't help any device manufacturer. And if Symbian was really popular world wide, why wouldn't Nokia persue both OS's?

What I really question about his comments are was Symbian really that profitable? I mean they have to spend the resources to develop the os and then support the market place for it. And I also question his market position comments....I mean really iPhone was a distant second?!? Practically everyone I know either has an iPhone or wanted an iPhone since the 2nd gen iPhone. Maybe I'm a bit USA centric, but you can't deny the iPhone has a huge percentage in market awareness if not penetration. Symbian never hit it in the US. I remember a time when the only Nokia phone I knew was the "dumb" phone my dad had and that was 5 years ago. I have never hear of, much less seen, a Nokia smartphone prior to Windows.

All his comments do is reinforces my questioning of Nokia's leadership. I really want them to succeed (I Love the 920). But this whole exclusivity thing coupled with exclusive variants is only going to further fracture the platform and hurt both Nokia and WP. Samsung developed a Hero device and it will be on all three major carriers, so did HTC. In fact, HTC will have both the Hero and Mid range available on all three networks. Nokia is in no position to pursue the strategy they are pursuing.

fiveodano

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I posted this comment on his site first

"Great article now we can see that he wrote the Burning Platform memo shortly after lighting the platform on fire.

I cannot understand why Nokia would need to abandon Symbian / Meego to add a Windows and/or Android Phone to their stable of handsets. They didn't have much trouble adapting the N9 to make the Lumia 800. Seems to me they were halfway to making it into an Android Phone as well. Now they're coming out with two new handsets the 920 and the 820. These look like great phones, Why not offer a choice of OS? I happen to really like Windows Phone but abandoning MeeGo never made sense. After Palm died I was dreaming of an N9. No N9 for me here in the US, I bought a Lumia (I really do like it)

What really baffles me is how any of these handset makers cannot see that you need your own ecosystem. Currently Samsung is the only Android winner other than Google. HTC is number 2 and they're in trouble as well(not as bad as Nokia). Had HTC bought Palm, they could have continued to make the dozen Android phones the are making now and continued to develop the WebOS platform. I think BlackBerry has a better chance of making a big comeback because of this. BlackbBerry just needs to sell people on BlackBerry, Nokia needs to sell people on WP8 and then on why Nokia is better than HTC, Samsung...

Cross platform app development is getting easier, I think there's room for more OS'. Nokia really had a great opportunity with MeeGo. Anybody following Jolla? Forefox? Tizen? (WebOS is now open source).

Unfortunately they can't fire him until after the new handsets hit the market. This would kill consumer confidence going into the holiday season. But unless they really clean up this Christmas, eject this man in January."

I am really excited about WP8 and I think the new Nokia Phones look fantastic (except for that Verizon 822, yuck) and I wish Nokia all the best, but I don't think they needed to give up everything else to make Windows Phones.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Stopped listening to him because of his pure hatred for Nokia and his outright lies.

Given a choice, I will want to see Nokia continue developing Maemo while playing with WP.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Strikes me as a bit of a gamble.

If WP8 is a bust, he can claim he said it in advance, and using WP7 as an example, it's fairly logical he can jump to his confusions.

But, he's looking at the small picture of just mobiles. Even if Nokia mobiles don't set the world alight, they are in a good place for tablets, which could be another growth area.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
In other news, Gil Amelio thinks Steve Jobs was a real jerk. :D

By the way, that article is a great look into why Nokia was failing under its prior leadership and when Elop got to the helm. They're looking only internally. Contrast the rosy "three pillar growth" with Nokia's smartphone marketshare at the time (plunging), and you can see why a "go-it-alone" strategy was doomed to failure. By 2012, even with the heralded growth, Nokia wouldn't have the marketshare necessary to attract developers to continue Symbian development (let alone successfully launch MeeGo). Then those numbers would have turned sharply south, as they did post-WP announcement.

Going to WP was a gamble, but if they'd stuck with Symbian and MeeGo, Nokia would have been guaranteed a two-year death spiral.

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
CAN WINDOWS PHONE 8 SAVE NOKIA? - Tomi Ahonen's Answer

No.

So, there you have it, the published Nokia strategy reviewed when we have a clear point in the strategy time-table, the clear point where half of total Nokia smartphone revenues come from Windows Phone. It is clear, this strategy has failed not on one leg, not on two, but on all three legs. It must immediately be terminated and Nokia could pursue any other strategy and be better off. And the CEO is incompetent, he must be fired immediately.

This is from his current article:

Communities Dominate Brands: The Three Pillars of Nokia Strategy - Have All Failed. Why Nokia Must Fire CEO Elop Now

What are your thoughts? As an MS developer, my thoughts will be biased so I wonder what are other's thoughts on the matter. :D

*to the mods, kindly move this thread to appropriate forum if necessary, thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99