01-06-2013 08:51 AM
- 10-15-2012 12:56 PM
- the OP is probably referring to using the Alias as the "from" email using Outlook in WP8 (instead of coming from the primary email account). Windows8 Mail/Metro app does not allow for that so it's pretty unlikely Outlook WP7.8/WP8 will imho. Would be nice but enables/encourages spamming.10-15-2012 01:16 PM
- I think a lot of people here are confused about what the OP is asking. Outlook.com supports aliases. While using Outlook.com you are able to send an email "From" any of your aliases.
However, currently when using a Windows Phone 7 or Outlook client you are only able to send an email from your primary email address and not any aliases. Exactly how it is if your company is running Microsoft Exchange.
Microsoft has said they are aware of this limitation and are working on providing this feature in the future. So as of right now I would say Windows Phone 8 will not support sending from Outlook.com aliases.
One work around is you setup your Outlook.com account on your phone (via Windows Live setup) and then create a separate "POP" email account on your phone connecting to that same Outlook.com account but list the email address as your aliases. This is how I got it working on my Windows Phone 7 device. Crude but it works until Microsoft adds the ability to send from aliases.
Another work around is to delete your alias, wait 30 days and then create a new Outlook.com account with it. Once you have the new account add that account to your phone and then link the inboxes. Now you can send directly from both addresses without having to use the POP account.10-16-2012 10:30 AMLike 2
- 12-03-2012 12:23 PMLike 1
- This is an incredibly useful thread and I am very frustrated by the poor communication and lack of support or aliases. I acted too hastily. Before I owned a WP8, I set up an alias for my outlook.com account. Renaming my account won't work because my msn account is set up firstname.lastname@example.org and my outlook.com address is email@example.com. Of course, I sent out the dreaded email change notice to my friends this week due to being frustrated with the Gmail end of EAS notice and growing privacy concerns, so sending out a subsequent email change is not an option.
So, until WP8 supports aliases, I also need to set up a POP3 work-around. Does anyone know the mail server *incoming/outgoing mail) for Outlook.com? Also, for username, do I use the MSN account or Outlook when setting up the POP3 account. Thanks in advance.
*** Update ***
Problem solved. Under email settings at outlook.com:
- Select settings (gear icon in top right.)
- In the first section, under "Managing Your Account, select Your Email Accounts.
- Scroll all of the way to the bottom of the page.
- Enter your oulook.com alias as the Default "from" address.
Your oulook.com is now the email address used to send and receive email associated with that Microsoft account. I tested this on my WP8 and the Windows 8 mail client. Note: if you still want to send and receive using your Microsoft account (i.e. live, Hotmail, msn) this process will not solve the problem as the outlook.com address is now the default address.
Last edited by TheZuneLune; 12-20-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: update12-20-2012 12:08 PM
- I should thank you. I read this about 4 times and figured it out. You have to trick the phone a little bit, I wrote up the instructions at MobDig. Take a look. I hated trying to set up pop accounts. I'd rather just forward all my mail to my Outlook.com alias and use that. Good luck.
I followed your instructions at MobDig and I was able to create the separate account on my WP8 for my alias, but that was it. Since all incoming emails are directed to the alias folder I still can't see any new emails that I get unless I go to my primary email account and look in the alias folder.
I don't mind having to navigate to the alias folder to read the emails that I receive there, but I at least wish that I could get notifications when something goes in there. Right now I have to remember to look occassionaly which kinda sucks.12-26-2012 11:16 AM
- I'm running into something very similar. My original LIVE account was set up using my @gmail.com address. It's where all of my data and purchases reside for Windows Phone and my Xbox. Sp, I don't want to dump the account. I'm trying to merge away from Google, and it wouldn't let me change my account ID, so it still all links to my Gmail, and uses an Outlook alias.
Its a royal pain, and I can't get the email from the Outlook address to my Phone. I REALLY want to get rid of Google.01-06-2013 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD