Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Choice of browser?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • IE10

22 37.93%
  • Firefox

18 31.03%
  • Chrome

14 24.14%
  • Opera

4 6.90%
  • Others

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    As above.

Personally I am more of a Firefox guy. With the add-ons I really appreciate the browser and I just don't like how Chrome functions.
    aubreyq and ramrac like this.

Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    I've used Firefox for a very long time mostly exclusively on PC.

I tend to prefer the default browser of a phone unless for example the Firefox would be much better in some way. But barring any major shortcomings, I'll probably just use IE. I've heard that on smartphones its one of the better browsers (already in WP7)
    ramrac and metalchick719 like this.

Browsers do my head in these days.

Back in the day, i just installed IE, and that was all the browser i ever needed.

Nowadays i have to run multiple browsers because of various issues, and its a pain.

I'll stick with IE, as i'd hope Microsoft get anonymous feedback info, and they can use that to continually improve the browser.
    Villain likes this.

Chrome, just a personal preference what with my browsing history, bookmarks and extensions already syncing between work and home, why not my phone also?

i'm interested in trying out Nokia's browser which routes traffic through compression servers.
    1jaxstate1 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,376 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Browsers do my head in these days.

Back in the day, i just installed IE, and that was all the browser i ever needed.

Nowadays i have to run multiple browsers because of various issues, and its a pain.

I'll stick with IE, as i'd hope Microsoft get anonymous feedback info, and they can use that to continually improve the browser.
    What he said.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Quote Originally Posted by thejoyofsobe View Post
    i'm interested in trying out Nokia's browser which routes traffic through compression servers.
    WP8 IE10 is supposed to do something similar.

Link

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Chrome is the best desktop and mobile browser.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    cckgz4 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    I'm hoping IE10 mobile is better than IE9 mobile, but I would love a real choice non IE-based browsers. On my computers I use IE, Safari, Firefox and Chrome. I'd be OK with IE10 + any non IE based browser, Firefox, Opera or Chrome would be fine.
    Firefox. That's my main browser on my Windows laptop. Otherwise, IE10 would be fine.
    ramrac likes this.
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,394 Global Posts
    IDK why everyone hates on IE? Back in the day, I used IE over the alternatives because it seemed to be more compatible with the sites I visited. Because of these compatibility issues, I never could stand using Firefox for more than a day or 2 at a time.

With all these security issues that people complain about on IE, I haven't had a full blown virus, just the occasional malware from venturing to sites I know I shouldn't or accidentally clicked on without paying enough attention ;) ... Anyhow, nowadays I use IE for about 90% of my surfing. If for some reason I feel a site or link is questionable, I'll pull it up on my phone first or use FireFox.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
    eric12341 likes this.

Global Posts
    32,969 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I chose Firefox, but I would have preferred if the poll allowed multiple choice, since I also like Opera.

My desktop browsers of preference are: Firefox, Opera and Chrome (in that order). IE is installed, but I might use it once every couple months.

I prefer cross-platform browsers, rather than browsers that are only for certain OSes, since I run Linux more than I run Windows.

Global Posts
    32,969 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    IDK why everyone hates on IE? Back in the day, I used IE over the alternatives because it seemed to be more compatible with the sites I visited. Because of these compatibility issues, I never could stand using Firefox for more than a day or 2 at a time.

With all these security issues that people complain about on IE, I haven't had a full blown virus, just the occasional malware from venturing to sites I know I shouldn't or accidentally clicked on without paying enough attention ;) ... Anyhow, nowadays I use IE for about 90% of my surfing. If for some reason I feel a site or link is questionable, I'll pull it up on my phone first or use FireFox.
    The reason I dislike IE is that it is historically been the browser with the worst compliance to W3C standards. internet explorer - Coding for IE vs Coding for W3C Standards - Stack Overflow

Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    WP8 IE10 is supposed to do something similar.

Link
    Nice. I'll have to see how it plays out but that probably will kill the Nokia browser for me and I'll likely use IE10 in a data crunch or when there's limited bandwidth available.
  14.    #14  
    I guess the question I want to ask is which browser you will use as your primary browser, so I didn't go multi-choice.

But it's a hope that the other browser makers can bring their own browsers to WP8. I rather there be choice.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    FireFox as a primary browser if available. If not, I will continue to shift towards IE across the board.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Opera

the one that doesnt sucks & lets me block ads

on smartphone IE10 i might use firefox or opera as a secondary browser
    i won't touch anything related to google same in my Pc nothing related to google :D
    on PC using firefox as a main browser

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Have you ever used IE10? :/
    Developer

I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about Internet Explorer 10. I've been using Firefox for years now, but with all the IE-bashing that's going on on the internet these days I decided to try out IE 9 to see what te fuzz was all about, but it worked perfectly. It's just that I'm so used to certain Firefox add-ons, so I won't switch over immediatly, but Internet Explorer certainly got my attention!
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    The reason I dislike IE is that it is historically been the browser with the worst compliance to W3C standards. internet explorer - Coding for IE vs Coding for W3C Standards - Stack Overflow
    This.

It's not really a security issue, IE 9 and later are as secure as anything else. The problem is that Microsoft has traditionally stuck to it's own standards for web instead of complying with everyone else. Everyone else is making mobile sites for WebKit browsers and other sites designed for the standards everyone else BESIDES Microsoft uses.

In English, that means webpages won't always appear/work right on IE when they work fine on anything else, and it's Microsoft's fault.

This is much less of an issue than it used to be though as far as I can tell. I do have problems with IE9 on my phone though from time to time. I'm optimistic that we will see some significant improvements in IE10, but I would still like the option for 3rd party browsers so we can be truly independent.

If Microsoft is not going to make IE10 and Bing best-in-class, then at least let us choose our own default browser and default search please.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    1,181 Global Posts
    I use Firefox whenever possible on the desktop. But on my phone, I like IE, and would probably continue to use it, unless one of the others provides a superior experience.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Whichever has a UI that isn't braindead. Having to wade through menus to get to tabs is ridiculous.
    socialcarpet and ramrac like this.
    IE10, that's a no-brainer right there

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Have you user IE10 mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    IE10, that's a no-brainer right there
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast