MS "pop-up stores" aka holiday stores

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
So we finally have our pop-up store opening here in Toronto, ON at the Eaton Centre. I caught a glimpse of it on the walk home the other day.

Does anyone know if these will have staff now or not until the 26th? I'd like to try to do a walk in pre-order on Surface if possible. I really don't know what to expect on the 26th. I'm paranoid that they'll have no stock to begin with due to shortages, or only a limited amount which will sell out before they open or if I should be safe with just walking in after work around 6pm.

I'd also like to ask them if they expect to carry unlocked Windows 8 phones..

Anyone have any info on these?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They're all supposed to open on the 26th but as you pass it on your travels just keep an eye on it in case they open early.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Well last time I saw I'm almost certain they were actually setting up things to put on display but of course I could be wrong..

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Saw one at the Beachwood,OH location and it was staffed with one person. She was happy but a bit bored. Gave me a handout.

Looking at the setup, I hope they have security there as it would seem rather easy to grab and go. I am also assuming that they take their inventory with them each night. Those setups with $500+ items don't look secure

xpxp2002

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Saw one at the Beachwood,OH location and it was staffed with one person. She was happy but a bit bored. Gave me a handout.

Looking at the setup, I hope they have security there as it would seem rather easy to grab and go. I am also assuming that they take their inventory with them each night. Those setups with $500+ items don't look secure
It's open already? I'm going to the Beachwood location on 10/26 to get a Surface, but I didn't think they'd open the doors until 10/26.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they have the Surface to sell.. Maybe have them on display to play with at most. Wondering if they'll take pre-orders though..

I'll be passing one on my way home today, I'll take a look at what's going on.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
They have two employees standing around at the one in the Eaton Centre. There is also a laptop there with something on it - maybe for pre-orders? I was in a rush so I couldn't really stop to talk to the guys there.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Stopped by the store. No live units around even for display. They had a laptop running Windows 8 to show off.

I asked if I could pre-order but they said I could only pre-order online. I said I wanted one for the 26th and they asked if I could be there before 12. I said possibly. So he gave me a pass/brochure for line by pass on the 26th to grab a Surface. They also didn't expect to have any stock issues and planned to have the covers available in various colors.

Shark87

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to go check out the one opening up here in NYC. Are these pop-up stores mainly geared towards pushing just W8 or both W8 and WP8?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I dont get a pop up store but grand opening in Cincinnati is only like a week later than launch on November 8th. I think I will head over.

Apple store was half the mall away. When MS store put up its outer wall to start construction Apple store magically shut down for renovations and opened a "temporary" location RIGHT next door. I think apple may be a tiny bit scared, but that is probably just being a bit too optimistic. I peaked in the old apple location and they were doing renovations. Tried to peak into the MS store but their door was locked.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait for the Microsoft store to open at the mall I work. It's going to open this November first.

Rumor has it that Enrique Iglesias is going to be there singing live.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Guys, keep checking for pop-ups regularly. NYC just received another location, so it's it's a good chance that other cities will get mupltiple pop-ups.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
It's open already? I'm going to the Beachwood location on 10/26 to get a Surface, but I didn't think they'd open the doors until 10/26.

Didnt say they were open for business just setup with a young staff worker looking bored :) I don't believe they had stock there.

Center/Main area -> bottom level right next to the elevators

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The one in San Antonio (North Star Mall) opens in Oct. 26. I'll have to check it out. I've been to the store in Austin, but it wasn't very busy. I think MS isn't "hip" enough for Austin.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The one in San Antonio (North Star Mall) opens in Oct. 26. I'll have to check it out. I've been to the store in Austin, but it wasn't very busy. I think MS isn't "hip" enough for Austin.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

What are they selling now? Win7 stuff? Nothing new out right now so I can't see why people would be packing the store right now. I do hope that it gets as much business as Apple at my mall. Right now apple is setup temporary right next to where MS store is going. Funny thing will be when apple is over flowing and people wander into the MS store and start playing with the surfaces and other tablets and things MS has in there. Then when their name is called for the apple "genius" 18yr/old kid to help them and they go into apple and start asking if the ipad can do this or that and if it will automatically work with their laptop as well. Would be awesome to see Apple have to eat crow if their plan of stealing MS store customers backfires and the opposite happens. ****, I wanted to walk in and check out the ip5 last weekend before my table was called. I would have had to wait 30-45 minutes to be allowed into the store due to fire code. So if MS was open then, I would have gladly walked in there. Actually, if it was open I would not have even wanted to go into apple.

Shark87

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Just to reiterate on Vallos' point, it does seem to be that there will be multiple MS pop-up stores appearing. The store I work in will have one set up for tomorrow's launch.

I also dropped by the pop-up store in Columbus Circle here in NYC. Lots of people were passing by, although not very many actually stopped. I had a good discussion with one of the people at the kiosk about the features of Windows RT and the Surface tablet. No WP8 in sight just yet though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte