I'm jumping the ship!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No, not to another crew, only a different ship ie. WP8.

I have Lumia 800, HTC Sensation XL (in drawer) and HTC Titan (only for games). I'm going to give away 800 and XL to my friends who still use traditional feature phones i.e. Nokia 3300 type phones.

I want to get rid of HTC Titan and got for WP8 ASAP, purely because I have no hopes with WP7.8 getting any extra features (let's not focus on this!)

I need your help! I have tried to do my research but am in split mind.

I dont want to spend a lot on WP8 because I don't see it as feature rich. I'm hoping the gap fillers might be in WP8.5 plus better hardwares too. That's when I want to buy a high-end phone.

What phone is a better choice with minimum extra input of money - HTC 8S or Lumia 820? I am hoping to make atleast ?120 off my HTC Titan when I sell it.

I know we have no clue as such for exact price points for Lumias (or do we?) but spec wise and money wise, what will be a wise choice to hang in till we see some adorable hardware with WP8.5?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I dont want to spend a lot on WP8 because I don't see it as feature rich. I'm hoping the gap fillers might be in WP8.5 plus better hardwares too. That's when I want to buy a high-end phone.
To be honest we don't know about all the features of WP8. Why don't you wait for those to be announced before you make an assessment of WP8? I think you're the first one on these boards that's awaiting WP8.5 (if that's what it'll be called) for whatever reason :p

To answer your question, if I were to buy a lower end WP8, the 8S would be my choice just because it looks so cool.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd personally get the 820, more internal memory, more RAM, better CPU, NFC, better camera. However the 8S has Gorilla Glass, then again 820 has the super sensitive touch so you can play angry birds with a banana! (or just operate with gloves on :p).

I'd just check the spec sheets (for example here) for each phone and check which one has more features that you value. I'm not sure on the pricings, looking at the specs I'd expect 8S to be a bit cheaper than 820, but who knows.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
To be honest we don't know about all the features of WP8. Why don't you wait for those to be announced before you make an assessment of WP8? I think you're the first one on these boards that's awaiting WP8.5 (if that's what it'll be called) for whatever reason :p

To answer your question, if I were to buy a lower end WP8, the 8S would be my choice just because it looks so cool.

Haha, the reason I'm looking forward to WP8.5 is partially because there might be a surface phone! Also, knowing MSFT the first gen phones are generally buzz creating ones and then they are followed by a finished work on the OS in form of a .5 gen 2 versions like Titan, Lumia 900 etc.

So even though WP8 might be loaded with cool stuff, I have a feeling 8.5 might be cooler with better hardware? ;)

I'd personally get the 820, more internal memory, more RAM, better CPU, NFC, better camera. However the 8S has Gorilla Glass, then again 820 has the super sensitive touch so you can play angry birds with a banana! (or just operate with gloves on :p).

I'd just check the spec sheets (for example here) for each phone and check which one has more features that you value. I'm not sure on the pricings, looking at the specs I'd expect 8S to be a bit cheaper than 820, but who knows.

I'm more or less torn between the two as I am using Titan and Lumia currently and they aren't really beating the other one. They both do their stuff quite nicely. But you are right, extra hardware features on Lumia do look appealing, but the price tag might be heftier. Are both these phones the ones where you can't remove the battery?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Haha, the reason I'm looking forward to WP8.5 is partially because there might be a surface phone! Also, knowing MSFT the first gen phones are generally buzz creating ones and then they are followed by a finished work on the OS in form of a .5 gen 2 versions like Titan, Lumia 900 etc.

So even though WP8 might be loaded with cool stuff, I have a feeling 8.5 might be cooler with better hardware? ;)
LOL I would also love a Microsoft-branded phone, but I haven't seen it yet ;)

As far as "better hardware" is concerned, what would you like?

Tell you what, when WP8.5 gets released, hang tight until WP9. I'm sure there'll be cooler phones with better hardware as well! :p

qubit5

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
No, not to another crew, only a different ship ie. WP8.

I have Lumia 800, HTC Sensation XL (in drawer) and HTC Titan (only for games). I'm going to give away 800 and XL to my friends who still use traditional feature phones i.e. Nokia 3300 type phones.

I want to get rid of HTC Titan and got for WP8 ASAP, purely because I have no hopes with WP7.8 getting any extra features (let's not focus on this!)

I need your help! I have tried to do my research but am in split mind.

What phone is a better choice with minimum extra input of money - HTC 8S or Lumia 820? I am hoping to make atleast ?120 off my HTC Titan when I sell it.

I know we have no clue as such for exact price points for Lumias (or do we?) but spec wise and money wise, what will be a wise choice to hang in till we see some adorable hardware with WP8.5?
Go with the Lumia 920 if you are on AT&T. It available on bestbuy for 150$.

If you are not in a tearing hurry, I would say don't do anything for an year. You said you are not too invested in WP yet, so its not gonna hurt you to wait. Your current WP phone will serve you just fine until then. NExt year things will be clearer and better.

If you do buy now and if you use AT&T get the 920 not 820. 920's camera is awesome and might actually make u feel glad you bought it.

CoolBeit

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm more or less torn between the two as I am using Titan and Lumia currently and they aren't really beating the other one. They both do their stuff quite nicely. But you are right, extra hardware features on Lumia do look appealing, but the price tag might be heftier. Are both these phones the ones where you can't remove the battery?
The question is - when WP8.5 gets announced, is it still going to be interesting to you or are you going to be lusting after the rumored features of wp9?

If you want a phone now, get the best one. None of the hardware is "bad." You really can't go wrong. What do you think a surface phone would offer that any of the current wp8 phones don't?

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Between 820 and 8S? I say 820 for the Nokia apps, but will you gain extra value from the Nokia apps?

I will still nudge people to the 920 if they can have it. I mean, WP8.5 will be available on L920.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, a little lost on what you are expecting with 8.5 (posts on 8.5 already??).

You said "better hardware", but unless you are a keyboard enthusist or are hoping for better graphic chips or such, I do not know what better hardware is for you. It truly may make more sense to get a 920 or 8X just due to it's resale value as a top end WP8. If you get a lower tier product such as the 8S or 810/820/822, your resale value may reflect that when the better hardware comes out. Besides, a higher end device would have you covered if the better hardware you want doesn't come out next cycle.

Whatever device you settle on, 8.5 software is coming. No way MS can afford to not bring the next few software upgrades to all handsets.

If you are settled on the 820-series or the 8S, I am the 820 all day long and twice on Sunday. Nokia has proven their support for their devices. Even their end of life phones get updates.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I am not expecting anything revolutionary in terms of hardware. But it's just that squarish look and that posh look of surface phone (deriving from how sexy surface itself is!)

None of the current hardare designs really shout out to me. Yes hardware features are definitely extra ordinary in 920.

What is really bothering me is - it's really time to give up WP7.5 and get a WP8 device no? I wasn't planning on getting a device just yet because my phones are only 9-12 months old. I generally use them for 2 years. But considering that the OS itself is major upgrade if not features, I am leaning on jumping to WP8. However, since this is unplanned investment, I was trying to hold on with minimun investment now, so that when WP8.5 comes around or with WP9 - I can afford to do another high-end investment of about ?500-?600.

BTW, I really really wish I was in USA right now and I would so be eyeing all these amazing deals you lot are getting. These phones are bloody expensive here in the UK!

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I am not expecting anything revolutionary in terms of hardware. But it's just that squarish look and that posh look of surface phone (deriving from how sexy surface itself is!)

None of the current hardare designs really shout out to me. Yes hardware features are definitely extra ordinary in 920.

What is really bothering me is - it's really time to give up WP7.5 and get a WP8 device no? I wasn't planning on getting a device just yet because my phones are only 9-12 months old. I generally use them for 2 years. But considering that the OS itself is major upgrade if not features, I am leaning on jumping to WP8. However, since this is unplanned investment, I was trying to hold on with minimun investment now, so that when WP8.5 comes around or with WP9 - I can afford to do another high-end investment of about ?500-?600.

BTW, I really really wish I was in USA right now and I would so be eyeing all these amazing deals you lot are getting. These phones are bloody expensive here in the UK!
If I were you, I wouldn't upgrade to WP8 unless you can get the phone at a price you can easily afford. No use in taking a financial hit over a phone, unless you make money out of using that phone or somehow it improves your life to make it worth it. It's fun to geek out and have the latest and greatest but there are other important things in life, like saving your money.

Personally I'm ready to dump my Focus but I won't get a WP8 on Day 1. I will wait for a good sale price on the phone I want (currently I want the 920). Heck, sometimes I entertain the idea of dumping smartphones completely because I'm using them on WiFi 98% of the time which makes me question why am I paying for a data plan, LOL!

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

My opinion is, hold till you can see what does 7.8 offer. At least you can make a more informed choice.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My opinion is, hold till you can see what does 7.8 offer. At least you can make a more informed choice.

That was my very first thought, but that means holding on to my current gen phones till Jan 2013 at least? - Currently I potentially make about ?130-?150 for this handset. In Jan, I am not sure they will be worth anything, esp if 7.8 turns out to be just a start screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa