How do you think Whatsapp and other IM services will perform on Windows Phonee 8?

prepraise

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
i have to admit that when it comes to IM services such as whatsapp and Line, our wp7.5 did not perform that well. What i understood is that those apps are not written in "native code", therefore has limitations to accessing the OS's core, making it few steps behind the iOS and android, or even Symbian S60

right now the app is sluggish, notifications are delayed, and push is inconsistent.

When WP 8 was announced, native code was introduced. how do you think whatsapp will perform? in terms of app performance? in terms of push notifications?

aniym

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Hard to tell. The Facebook app was developed by Microsoft and even then the notifications on new messages would be very late, anywhere from 15 mins to 1 hour late. I'm not surprised 3rd party apps like Whatsapp did not perform well.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, so WhatsApp isn't all that great on WP? I've never used it, but I was considering getting it when I get a WP8 phone. Is it really that bad?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I almost never IM, but it's always interesting when I read threads like these. I use an app called Pro Sports Scores that can update a Live Tile via push every 10 to 30 seconds. So during a baseball game, for example, I see the results of almost every pitch. If a small third party developer can setup a push server to send data consistently and reliably, why can't they big guys do the same. I suspect it's not a problem with our WP7.x devices and more a server side issue. Just sayin.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
IM+ is free now. It's OK at best. IDK what's the deal with notifications. The 1st party twitter works flawlessly notification wise. The FB app, good luck. I only used whatsapp for a few hours, I didn't have any problems with it, but I had more friends using so many different services, it was of no use to me.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You don't think it could be the old endpoint issue showing up again?
I almost never IM, but it's always interesting when I read threads like these. I use an app called Pro Sports Scores that can update a Live Tile via push every 10 to 30 seconds. So during a baseball game, for example, I see the results of almost every pitch. If a small third party developer can setup a push server to send data consistently and reliably, why can't they big guys do the same. I suspect it's not a problem with our WP7.x devices and more a server side issue. Just sayin.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've used WhatsApp since I've had my WP7.5. I've never had issues with it.

I would hope it is available for WP8, since it is probably my most used app.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
whatsapp worked great prior to two updates ago. Now it has issues with pictures loading priperly. before it worked perfectly with no delays

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
whatsapp worked great prior to two updates ago. Now it has issues with pictures loading priperly. before it worked perfectly with no delays

That's odd. I have a friend who sends pictures every day, and I get them all. He has an Android device and uses Sprint, and I have AT&T.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling WhatsApp?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What i understood is that those apps are not written in "native code", therefore has limitations to accessing the OS's core, making it few steps behind the iOS and android, or even Symbian S60

Whoever told you that is talking out of their a55 and should never be asked for smartphone advice again. That statement is complete rubbish. Garbage. Trash. Junk. Native code capability is completely unrelated to any features involving Microsoft's push notification service.

The main reason people think push notifications do not work is because they have deactivated data over cellular and/or don't have a data plan with their carrier. That is always the first thing to look at. If changing that doesn't solve you problem, then your issues are the app developers fault and have nothing to do with Microsoft or WP7.5.

Beyond that, IM apps under WP8 will behave just as well/poorly as they did under WP7.

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well it depends on if the specific app is compiled for WP8 or not, if its still compiled for 7.5 then performance will be exactly how it is currently on a 7.5 device. That being said kik has been really solid so far with its push performance.

prepraise

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
thx for the correction. just hope devs would invest more on their apps on WP8.

unfortunately,the small market share of wp7.5 prob isnt worth their effort polishing their apps(?). not sure if thats the case.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
From what i've seen & read about skype on WP8, it should be ready for notifications all the time, as such, i'm sure IM clients should be the same.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I use an app called Notify My Windows Phone. It lets you send notifications with a custom message to your phone by sending an HTTP request to the developer's server. I use it to monitor some of my home PCs as well as a web site that I developed.

When I test the service, the notification always comes through a few seconds after I send the request to the server. This tells me that it's very possible to have instant push notifications as long as the app developer's server is well implemented. If you're experiencing delayed notifications, it's probably because of the developer's server, not MS's push servers.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Can confirm the lag on HD7 too. Notifications were late, the app never opened instantly...blah blah blah.

If MS is going to test waters, so am I now. ..

Sent from my RaZr 4X HD...

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyone who has been able to test Whatsapp on a Windows Phone 8? I'm pretty curious about the performance since it's about bigger than text messaging here in the Netherlands.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyone who has been able to test Whatsapp on a Windows Phone 8? I'm pretty curious about the performance since it's about bigger than text messaging here in the Netherlands.

I have the 920 and I use whatsapp. The app definitely loads faster but the bugs that are in wp7 are still here as the app didn't get updated yet.

No more than one picture can be downloaded in one session, sometimes you receive notification but can't see the message inside until you relaunch a couple of times, and it still sometimes fails to smooth transfer from cellular data to wifi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo