My pre order for the Lumia 920

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, first time on these forums as i have finally made the jump from the meego forums ( i currently have a Nokia N9 which i love). So wanted to say hi to everyone.

I pre ordered my Lumia 920 at the full price ( unactivated $599) from bestbuy within in the first hour of the pre order going live. Checked my bank account and the money was taken out and called best buy and confirmed that my pre order was completed successfully.

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the 920.

My question is , since i have purchased the phone at full price , will i be able to get it unlocked? I am a frequent traveler to europe and the caribbean so i would obviously love to use my new 920 on my trips.

:)

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, first time on these forums as i have finally made the jump from the meego forums ( i currently have a Nokia N9 which i love). So wanted to say hi to everyone.

I pre ordered my Lumia 920 at the full price ( unactivated $599) from bestbuy within in the first hour of the pre order going live. Checked my bank account and the money was taken out and called best buy and confirmed that my pre order was completed successfully.

My question is , since i have purchased the phone at full price , will i be able to get it unlocked? I am a frequent traveler to europe and the caribbean so i would obviously love to use my new 920 on my trips.

...No. You bought an unactivated phone not an unlocked phone. Unactivated means it is still locked to AT&T you just don't require a 2 year contract.

I know nothing about mobile bands in europe though.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

The potential problem is getting the unlock code for the 920. The 900 was locked to AT&T for the first 6 months with no unlock available. I would expect the 920 to also be locked for the first 6 months. During that time the best thing you could do is buy one of the international voice & data packages from AT&T.

My wife and i go to France a couple of times a year and we always pickup a couple of local Pay As You Go SIM cards when we are there. It's so much cheaper than going through AT&T.

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The potential problem is getting the unlock code for the 920. The 900 was locked to AT&T for the first 6 months with no unlock available. I would expect the 920 to also be locked for the first 6 months. During that time the best thing you could do is buy one of the international voice & data packages from AT&T.

My wife and i go to France a couple of times a year and we always pickup a couple of local Pay As You Go SIM cards when we are there. It's so much cheaper than going through AT&T.
i guess i can continue to use my unlocked Nokia N9 for overseas trips then. Sucks i wont be able to use my Lumia 920 outside of the US until after a certain period of time passes. I can live with that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3