How good is Bing/Nokia Maps in other countries than America?

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna write this in English for all the sophisticated Englishmen (and 'Mericans) around here, but my issue involves my own country: Holland.
I'm really looking forward to the Nokia Lumia 920 and I'm very eager to ditch my iPhone. But I'm just a little bit concerned about how good the mapping software will work on my new phone. I'm reading a lot of good things about Bing and Nokia Maps, but these things are almost always written by Americans and I'm not sure how good these maps will function here in Holland (or other countries).
For instance, sometimes when I'm cycling through my hometown and I can't find my destination, I'll quickly let my Google Maps app on my iPhone (no, I won't upgrade to iOS6) search something easy like "coffee company" and it almost always gets it right. Now I have no problem ditching Google Maps, but I'm very concerned searching for places won't be this easy when I'm using Nokia/Bing Maps because there just aren't a lot of places indexed in these maps. Are there any Dutch (or French or German or British) Windows Phone users who can tell my I'm wrong? I hope so :)

danferan

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
In short - it's good

I haven't tried in Holland in particular, but Nokia does a very good job with their maps. They're European, too, so I think that should lay to rest some of your fears. One of their selling points is their international mapping prowess - I believe their site lists the countries they have turn-by-turn directions for, as well. Between their large library of international maps and the Lumia's excellent GPS you won't be disappointed.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Awesome. Any news on which direction Microsoft is going with the whole Bing/Nokia Maps thing? Are they going to merge or something?

danferan

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, Nokia Maps/Drive is being licensed throughout WP8 (Stephen Elop said as much in one of his recent interviews - they didn't allow it on competitors' handsets just for giggles), so all handsets will have access to that. I don't know if "merge" is the right word for it, but if that technology is available to all WP8 OEMs, it may as well be. Nokia itself reserves some specials features as I recall, though.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've used Nokia Maps in France. From up around Paris and down to the Mediterranean and it was spot on everywhere we went.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've used Nokia Drive extensively in the Netherlands. I reached every destination flawlessly, and it's even better than Google maps which I also found very good (a business partner used his Android device simultaneously for comparison purposes).

Previously, Bing maps were almost useless outside of the U.S. but going forward Bing maps will use Nokia's mapping data so this problem will go away.

You can get Nokia Drive and Nokia's mapping data on every WP8 device, but you will get some extras on Nokia's devices.

Aykazu

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna write this in English for all the sophisticated Englishmen (and 'Mericans) around here, but my issue involves my own country: Holland.
I'm really looking forward to the Nokia Lumia 920 and I'm very eager to ditch my iPhone. But I'm just a little bit concerned about how good the mapping software will work on my new phone. I'm reading a lot of good things about Bing and Nokia Maps, but these things are almost always written by Americans and I'm not sure how good these maps will function here in Holland (or other countries).
For instance, sometimes when I'm cycling through my hometown and I can't find my destination, I'll quickly let my Google Maps app on my iPhone (no, I won't upgrade to iOS6) search something easy like "coffee company" and it almost always gets it right. Now I have no problem ditching Google Maps, but I'm very concerned searching for places won't be this easy when I'm using Nokia/Bing Maps because there just aren't a lot of places indexed in these maps. Are there any Dutch (or French or German or British) Windows Phone users who can tell my I'm wrong? I hope so :)
Well you can go and see Nokia Maps - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes

That site gives you an idea about the data used in Nokia Maps, look for some addresses and so forth. For me Nokia Maps has been a blessing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism