Next evolution of Nokia/WP8 Maps

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Did that mean its getting a street view type mode? I really hope so as I'm going to miss that quite a bit once I switch to wp.

This is the feature i want most for Nokia Maps. I have seen those Navteq cars with cameras in Finland and Sweden. Last time i saw one was in Finland, Espoo back in summer.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Did that mean its getting a street view type mode? I really hope so as I'm going to miss that quite a bit once I switch to wp.

It is hard to say. They are only telling us what data they are collecting, but nothing about coverage nor what they intend to use the data for.

If they are collecting that type of data world-wide, then a Nokia specific implementation of street view might not be too far out. Although personally, I couldn't care less about something like street view. What do you guys use it for?

The article also suggests they are constructing accurate ground-level 3D models of everything. Not exactly sure what that would be used for either, but I could imagine more than just a few possibilities.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The article also suggests they are constructing accurate ground-level 3D models of everything. Not exactly sure what that would be used for either, but I could imagine more than just a few possibilities.

Nokia, or Navteq has actually been building 3D maps for some time. Navteq has been building full 3D maps for about 3-4 years. Part of the team was bought out by Apple, team that worked on Apple Maps.

Though this is not exactly what we are talking about here.

I myself really wanna see all that data hopefully not in too far future put to Windows Phone.

Nokia Maps - 3D WebGL (beta) (this is beta webgl 3D version)
Nokia Maps - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes (norm Nokia Maps)

It is hard to say. They are only telling us what data they are collecting, but nothing about coverage nor what they intend to use the data for.

If they are collecting that type of data world-wide, then a Nokia specific implementation of street view might not be too far out. Although personally, I couldn't care less about something like street view. What do you guys use it for?

It's great if you are going for place that you are totally unfamiliar with. Just to see it all from the street level.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nokia, or Navteq has actually been building 3D maps for some time. Navteq has been building full 3D maps for about 3-4 years. Part of the team was bought out by Apple, team that worked on Apple Maps. Though this is not exactly what we are talking about here.

Yes tissotti, I agree. That is exactly why I said ground-level 3D models...

What Nokia/Microsoft/Google/Apple have all been collecting are the typical birds-eye 3D models. Apple uses them for their fly-overs. I find them entertaining, but so far I haven't discovered any practical usage.

As you said, the data Nokia is collecting isn't about that. Instead, imagine something like street view, but being able to walk through it in 3D instead of just from picture to picture. That is what the data they are collecting could theoretically allow them to do.

Sounds like an enormous undertaking to me.

It's great if you are going for place that you are totally unfamiliar with. Just to see it all from the street level.

Different folks different strokes I guess ;)

I go to places I am totally unfamiliar with at least five to six times a month and so far I've never felt the need to view the place before getting there. All I need is an electronic companion that can reliably get me to the entrance. That is why I see City Lens as more useful than street view...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven