NFC Tap to Send demoed between two Samsung ATIV S handsets

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Excellent!!!

Samsung bringing it's Galaxy Series extras will help it's ATIV series so much. I can only hope Sammy includes the ATIV in it's "The Next Big Thing is Already Here" market campaign. Sammy can launch the ATIV a little later then HTC or Nokia launch their WP8's if they get behind it. This is the first true hint that Sammy may truly be willing to give WP a great push. A motivated Samsung can only help WP8 in general.

We can hope, right?

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Can you share between 2 different OS's? Since a lot of my co-workers are on androids, it would be nice to be able to share documents with them easily like that. I also assume any Windows 8 tablet with NFC should be able to be shared with as well?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you share between 2 different OS's? Since a lot of my co-workers are on androids, it would be nice to be able to share documents with them easily like that. I also assume any Windows 8 tablet with NFC should be able to be shared with as well?
I've been thinking (hoping?) that you will be able to share between OS's- phones with Bluetooth (except Windows Phone) have been able to transfer photos via Bluetooth for years. My hope is that with NFC, this will make it easier, and faster, no matter the platform - as long as it has NFC.

Also hoping that WP8 incorporates regular Bluetooth file transfer sans NFC... there are a lot of non-NFC devices out there.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I think you can if it's an ativ and a gs3. Samsung does indeed have a patent on the tap.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
NFC is cool, so don't get me wrong here. But if you and your mates devices are already BT paired, isn't it just as easy, or easier to send a file via BT, from 20ft away. Assuming BT has been enabled in WP8 of course.

I see NFC as a plus for sending something to someone you have never paired with before, eliminating that step. Also for retail purchasing and tapping those slick tags.

Just think the tapping phones amongst family members or close friends commercials are just like the Siri ads. Lots of hype, but not all that effective. I mean, you still have to select a file before you tap. Samsungs can't read your mind yet. Am I missing something?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

CatFoodScience

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
NFC is cool, so don't get me wrong here. But if you and your mates devices are already BT paired, isn't it just as easy, or easier to send a file via BT, from 20ft away. Assuming BT has been enabled in WP8 of course.

I see NFC as a plus for sending something to someone you have never paired with before, eliminating that step. Also for retail purchasing and tapping those slick tags.

Just think the tapping phones amongst family members or close friends commercials are just like the Siri ads. Lots of hype, but not all that effective. I mean, you still have to select a file before you tap. Samsungs can't read your mind yet. Am I missing something?

I'm fairly sure NFC (aside from mobile payments) facilitates easy pairing/sharing and can negotiate the networking between the hosts via NFC radio, Bluetooth, or Wifi so that depending upon what you are doing/sharing you can get faster connection speeds. In terms of gaming or streaming video you may want a wifi connection, Bluetooth for audio streaming, and NFC radio for url sharing. I think we will see more sharing via NFC with devices like gaming consoles, TVs, stereos, thermostats, etc in addition to computers, tablets, and smartphones.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I think you're correct for the most part, but personally I don't want my phone to just automatically pair with everyone all the time, family or not. I would rather connect when I actually have something to send them, so in that regard I see NFC being a little more practical because like you said, when you pair with someone that's a whole extra step you have to take.

Of course, I could be misinterpreting how NFC works. You also probably don't care if your phone is paired with people you know automatically, in which case my scenario and yours are different.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a bit confused by that statement. I thought NFC was included with the 920, am I wrong?

I think people are enamored with the "tapping" of 2 phones together part of it.

I'll never buy a Samsung, and even if I did, I don't know anyone with a Samsung, so it is no big loss to me.

Last edited:

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
NFC will work between all NFC equipped devices. The question is what capabilities will work between different devices/OS. If I'm sharing part of WP 8 via NFC (like a contact) it SHOULD be able to share it to any other WP 8 phone regardless of manufacturer. Depending on file types it should also be able to share it to other OS phones (like emailing a vcard).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mietaz