windows phone 8, what we know + whats missing?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
windows-phone-8-1.jpg

heres what we know so far...

•Multi-core processor support: As reviewers have noted, Windows Phone runs buttery smooth on phones with a single processor. But piggybacking on the Windows core provides support for multiple cores—so we’re ready for whatever hardware makers dream up.
•Bigger, sharper screens: Windows Phone 8 supports two new screen resolutions—1280x768 and 1280x720, opening the door to amazing new handsets with high-definition 720p displays.
•More flexible storage: Windows Phone 8 supports removable MicroSD cards, so you can stuff your phone with extra photos, music, and whatever else is important to you, and then easily move it all onto your PC.
•NFC wireless sharing: If you haven’t heard the term “NFC” yet, I’m betting you soon will. This emerging wireless technology lets phones share things over short distances. In Windows Phone 8, it helps make sharing photos, Office docs, and contact info easier—just tap your phone another NFC-equipped device. How cool is that?
•Internet Explorer 10: The next version of Windows Phone comes with the same web browsing engine that’s headed for Window 8 PCs and tablets. IE10 is faster and more secure, with advanced anti-phishing features like SmartScreen Filter to block dangerous websites and malware.
•Wallet: Windows Phone 8’s new digital Wallet feature does two great things. It can keep debit and credit cards, coupons, boarding passes, and other important info right at your fingertips. And when paired with a secure SIM from your carrier, you can also pay for things with a tap of your phone at compatible checkout counters.
•Better maps and directions: Windows Phone 8 builds in Nokia mapping as part of the platform. Our partnership will provide more detailed maps and turn-by-turn directions in many countries, plus the ability to store maps offline on your phone so you can work with maps without a data connection.
•Cooler apps and games: Basing Windows Phone 8 on the Windows core will unleash a new wave of amazing apps and especially games, for reasons I’ll touch on in a moment.

be sure to vote from 1st link below, and look at the results from android users... awesome!!!

Windows Phone 8 features

The Windows Blog

Exclusive: Windows Phone 8 Detailed | Pocketnow

whats still missing? what features havent yet been announced that we need? how does it compare to ios and android? :cool:

Last edited:

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
yes, bings " tell me" is built in... good point though, this is something that hanst been talked about a whole lot. on previous windows phones, its not the best we've used. i definately would think that with how popular virtual assistants have become, both with siri, google now, and all of the apps, that this is something MS will have addressed in windows phone 8.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It just needs a whole lot of app influx not just Nokia exclusives that come about 5 months late in the game.

Everything else is nearly top-notch. Of course some features are needed still - better IE (forward button?), better rendering of texts, better notification management, IMs being able to get better notifications (read whatsapp, viber etc).

There are tiny things from WP7 that never got fixed in 7.x builds. I can only hope they fixed it before they bring a new load of features that already have bugs that we might moan about!

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I feel like an idiot talking to my phone as if it was a person. I'm out on all the personal assistant apps/features ala' SIRI.
I know what you mean, but there are times when it's pretty handy (e.g. asking siri what the weather's like in X is a satisfying experience). More importantly, I think it'll become an increasingly big part of the way we interact with our devices, as google and apple already know, and WP needs to be able to compete.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss