I hope WP8 is better designed than Windows 8

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Why would anybody run Chrome? You might as well record every web site you visit, along with your username and password, and mail it to the Advertising Foundation of America. :)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've personally installed Chrome on my Dell too after using IE10 for a few hours. Only because I cannot block adverts on IE10. How do you guys block ads on IE10?

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've personally installed Chrome on my Dell too after using IE10 for a few hours. Only because I cannot block adverts on IE10. How do you guys block ads on IE10?

The default for the pop-up blocker is medium, if you click on the Tools menu in IE10 you can turn this up to High. For other adverts there are add-ons.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The default for the pop-up blocker is medium, if you click on the Tools menu in IE10 you can turn this up to High. For other adverts there are add-ons.

Thanks, how do I add add-ons though?

Are you talking about IE10 on desktop or Metro IE10? I'm more interested in Metro IE10 really. Not used it on desktop :/

For some reason I've started to dislike desktop in less than 36 hours of Windows 8 ;)

hcoreyh

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
The settings menu for individual apps (eg. google chrome) are handled completely individually. This is a flaw in Google's design.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Simple-adblock for IE10? Is that this paid version that had really poor reviews during RC release? or am I mixing things up?

No idea what you are referring to. Simple-Adblock has always been the best adblock application for IE and it's free.

Only drawback is that after the first 30 days it will only block up to 200 ads a day with the free version. I have never personally exceeded that though.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm noticing an emerging theme.

When Windows Phone had fewer apps, but the apps were well-polished with outstanding UI, Apple people screamed that only quantity matters.

Now that Windows 8 has a jaw-dropping quantity of apps in just a few days, Apple people are screaming that only quality matters.

I do wish they'd make up their minds! ;)

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm noticing an emerging theme.

When Windows Phone had fewer apps, but the apps were well-polished with outstanding UI, Apple people screamed that only quantity matters.

Now that Windows 8 has a jaw-dropping quantity of apps in just a few days, Apple people are screaming that only quality matters.

I do wish they'd make up their minds! ;)

As a current iPhone 4 user, I can honestly say, that the more apps on iOS just make it more difficult to sort through the trash.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
But I partially agree with both really.

a) you want quantity first - i.e. the key apps. Not gaining quantity by boobs apps and fart apps, but by having key apps, big names.

b) you want quality first too - i.e. the whatsapp app, the viber app, the awful twitter app, ok-ish facebook app, dreadful newreaders - these aren't what you want. If these apps are key apps you want at least those to look and feel premium. Then if my fart app won't fart at the precise moment, I can live with it. But if my whatsapp can't deliver my notification in time and only pops up after 50 minutes, I don't see that as quality even if we have big names. Its as good as not having whatsapp on our platform really!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I generally agree, I'm just pointing out how silly the Apple Corps can be.

I remember challenging Robert Scoble a while back, when he declared that only app count quantity matters. I asked him why, if that was true, he used a Mac when Windows has several hundred times the number of apps that the Mac OS does.

He replied that all one needs is a browser on a computer, unlike on a phone.

In other words, most of the app arguments are irrational.

For every guy who says "I can't get Instagram on Windows Phone, it's useless," there could be a WP person saying "no Fhotoroom or Microsoft Office on iOS, it doesn't have the crucial apps that I use." It's all a bit silly.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
^ Very rational argument that!

However that reminds me - Office 2013, is out of this world! I just installed it on my Win 8 and I cannot believe how nicely the cloud has been used across - Xbox, Windows 8, WP!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow, people use those terribly rated external ad blockers? IE has Tracking Protection built in. Get the usual ad blocking lists (******, Easylist or something) and you're good to go for the most part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs