Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Dutchpiet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi, I own a lumia 800, it is a brilliant phone and have had no problems,
    but now the new 820/920 are almost here, time to buy a new phone, 800 will be my
    work phone, would not risk new one at work, I like the 820 with S D Card and removable
    battery, but will the 820 come with internet sharing / wi-fi hot spot ?, the 920 lists one,
    but no mention of it for 820, it is vital to run my Tablet when away from home,
    any advice on which one to have would be most welcome,
    why all the windows phone detractors?, it is easy to use and its a Nokia, quality build
    and never drops a call,texts and E mails are quick to arrive, and useful apps by Nokia,
    Nokia is the best, still have N8 brilliant camara, I hope windows 8 is successful as it would
    be a shame if Nokia stop making quality phones.
  2. Mafiatounes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    #2  
    I think both phones will have wifi sharing, my 710 has it.

    As for choice between 820/920 me personally i am going for the 920 it has the better screen/camera/design/battery certainly the bigger battery is essential for wifi sharing! As for memory i think 32gb is sufficient + Skydrive offers 7 to 25gb free.

    Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
  3. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #3  
    I'll go with he 920. The difference in price should be like 50 dollars and you will get so much more.
    Thanked by:
  4. thejoyofsobe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    #4  
    the lack of Gorilla glass is what turned me off even considering the 820. that being said it does have generic 'scratch-resistant' glass so if it does well in the scratch-tests after it's released and the off-contract price difference is enough to compensate for the lower-quality screen and camera and the SD card I would have to purchase to make up for the on board storage then I'll reconsider it.

    if it's only a $100 cheaper than the 920 then there seems little point in considering the 820 over the 920.


    that's being said, if I was deciding between AT&T and Verizon as my service provider (which I'm not) then I'd give greater consideration for the 822 on Verizon over the 920 on AT&T, especially at the rumored $50 contact price. expandable storage, built-in wireless charging and Verizon's network at that price point sounds enticing.
    Thanked by:
  5. Hiiiiiiiii's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    223 Posts
    #5  
    If you consider 820, just get 8X
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiiiiiiiii View Post
    If you consider 820, just get 8X
    I don't think so... When all these devices were first announced, I had my heart set on the 820. It gives you expandable storage, those exclusive Nokia apps and super sensitive touch. Don't get me wrong, the 8X is nice, but I don't like that it only has 16GB of internal storage and no slot for additional. I've also read some negative things about HTC about updates and the exact opposite of Nokia (plus, I'm loyal to Nokia because every phone I've had but my current one is by them, but that's besides the point).
  7. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #7  
    You have to be crazy to get the 820 over the 8X. They are about the same price in some places and you get so much more.

    Gorilla Glass, SLCD2, Beats Audio, Wide-high quality FFC, super fast-high quality camera, unibody design (if you like the lumias then unibody must be your thing).

    Also is a premium device and not an hand me down for poor people. That's better than some exclusive apps.
    scottcraft likes this.
  8. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    969 Posts
    #8  
    Crazy is a bit extreme.

    The removable covers could be huge. Get some awesome covers and the 820 will sell like hot cakes. The ruggedised covers will be just as useful for some as gorilla glass.

    NFC looks really interesting to me, and seems to be on samsung & Nokia but not Htc.

    Htc make some nice hardware but the extra software sucks. All the exclusive and timed exclusive Nokia apps will be a huge bonus to people.

    Give it a month or two, the cases and wireless charger will have come down in price, and will make the 820 a compelling purchase.
    Thanked by:
    metalchick719 likes this.
  9. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #9  
    Removable covers and SD cards are cool but the HTC offers so much more. If they are the same price there's no reason not to get the 8X, but hey, if you hate quality, do whatever you want.
  10. squire777's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,228 Posts
    #10  
    because Nokia is known to make bad quality products
    metalchick719 likes this.
  11. Dutchpiet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafiatounes View Post
    I think both phones will have wifi sharing, my 710 has it.

    As for choice between 820/920 me personally i am going for the 920 it has the better screen/camera/design/battery certainly the bigger battery is essential for wifi sharing! As for memory i think 32gb is sufficient + Skydrive offers 7 to 25gb free.

    Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
    Thanks for your post, I think you are right, Nokia 920 is the one to get,
    have had Nokia since 2003, I will stay with Nokia, which colour Red/Black?,
    many thanks.
  12. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    because Nokia is known to make bad quality products
    What I'm saying is that people are actually recommending a low end device over a mid-range one just because of the Nokia brand. Which I find it crazy considering how inferior the 820 is compared to the 8X.
    Thanked by:
  13. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #13  
    If the 920 was coming to Verizon there is no doubt I would get it, but it would have nothing to do with the apps. I'm sure the 820/822 are decent phones, but if you are in the market for a high end phone you are limited to the 8X, 920 and Ativ S. I like the apps Nokia has, but most of them aren't that important to me, so they certainly wouldn't make me overlook the 8X just to get them on the 820.
  14. chriscookz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    You have to be crazy to get the 820 over the 8X. They are about the same price in some places and you get so much more.

    Gorilla Glass, SLCD2, Beats Audio, Wide-high quality FFC, super fast-high quality camera, unibody design (if you like the lumias then unibody must be your thing).

    Also is a premium device and not an hand me down for poor people. That's better than some exclusive apps.
    The only things from that list that I would care about not being in the 820 are Gorilla Glass and the camera, though I haven't seen any photo comparisons between the 8X and the 820 on that front, so the 820 may be just as good.

    And those "some exclusive apps" are, for me, of much greater value then an ultra wide ffc, or "enhanced" beats audio. If I'm traveling and I get lost, or I want to find a cool restaurant, how is that ffc going to help me?

    It's all a personal choice. I would much rather have the Nokia transit apps then the extras that the 8X offers.

    That all being said, I'm getting the 920 so none of that really applies to me. Just throwing it out there that it isn't "crazy" just because someone wants the 820 over the 8X.
    Thanked by:
    metalchick719 likes this.
  15. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #15  
    The fact that a restaurant founder is a reason enough to chose an inferior phone, just shows how ridiculous is the app situation on Windows Phone.

    Use Local Scout or Yelp to find a cool restaurant, if you are lost then ask someone for directions or your map or GPS.

    The camera being just as good is really just wishful thinking, as the 8X camera is the same as the OneX which is currently the best Android camera.

    With the 820 you will be getting

    Worse resolution
    Worse display
    Worse audio
    Worse cameras
    Worse processor
    Worse looks (subjective, but come on son)

    But wait, it has some Nokia variants of apps that already exist. That's surely worth buying an inferior product... jeez.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    You have to be crazy to get the 820 over the 8X. They are about the same price in some places and you get so much more.

    Gorilla Glass, SLCD2, Beats Audio, Wide-high quality FFC, super fast-high quality camera, unibody design (if you like the lumias then unibody must be your thing).

    Also is a premium device and not an hand me down for poor people. That's better than some exclusive apps.
    The screen I can understand, but what exactly is so great about Beats Audio? It seems like nothing I would get anything out of as I don't listen to hip hop/rap at all. Seems highly overrated, if you ask me. Good ol' Dolby is perfectly fine.
  17. chevans920's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    189 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    Removable covers and SD cards are cool but the HTC offers so much more. If they are the same price there's no reason not to get the 8X, but hey, if you hate quality, do whatever you want.
    In your opinion, the 820 may be low quality, but to others it may be high. Unfortunately, you can't make a blanket statement like that and it hold any water.

    Quality is a very difficult word to define. While, you are correct, the HTC does offer more "features" than the 820, those features might not necessarily mean anything to other consumers. Therefore, in their mind, the phone is not of a high enough quality for them.

    To your point of them being the same price and there being no reason to get the 8X, you're way off here. I purchased an HTC a few years ago and had a horrible experience with it; terrible customer service, no software updates and just a buggy device all around. So, now I would pay the same price for a lesser feature Nokia before I would ever buy another HTC. To me, the intangible benefits are worth it. So don't spout a feature count as the end all be all defining characteristic of quality. That is just a small part in the big picture.

    Your opinion is just that, your opinion - and that is all it ever will be. Same with mine.

    I know a little bit about this, as I've been teaching college level classes on quality for 7 years... and here is a good quick read on the topic. Different perspectives of quality are prevalent all over the consumer world and to each of us, a different one may be most important.

    Definition of Quality Total Quality Management
  18. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,332 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,411 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    because Nokia is known to make bad quality products
    Maybe oin the past but not now All there wp products appear to be very well made. You may not like the features you may not like the heft, or be disappointed with the form factor but they are well made.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!
  19. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    The screen I can understand, but what exactly is so great about Beats Audio? It seems like nothing I would get anything out of as I don't listen to hip hop/rap at all. Seems highly overrated, if you ask me. Good ol' Dolby is perfectly fine.
    What's so great about crisp, loud, clear audio?
    What's so great about great speaker sound?
    What's so great about a fast high quality camera?
    What's so great about the best screen on the market?
    What's so great about beautiful unibody design?
    What's so great about a light and thin body?
    What's so great about an actually useful FFC?

    Lets all settle for mediocrity.
    Last edited by Winterfang; 10-29-2012 at 10:39 AM.
  20. #20  
    920 is the only real recommendation currently IMO.

    Currently, if you can afford it, you should get a flagship. And the 920 is the premier WP8 flagship, plain and simple.

    And you are in the UK, so EE with LTE is a very distinct possibility if you choose to go that route.
  21. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    #21  
    It's all up to you really. Depends on what you want and need from your device.

    I'd pick the 92X over the 82X because of all the features that will be coming. I don't need a removable SD, nor do I need the lighter weight (.5 lbs lighter).

    WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
  22. chevans920's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    189 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    What's so great about crisp, loud, clear audio?
    What's so great about great speaker sound?
    What's so great about a fast high quality camera?
    What's so great about the best screen on the market?
    What's so great about beautiful unibody design?
    What's so great about a light and thin body?
    What's so great about an actually useful FFC?

    Lets all settle for mediocrity.
    What's so great about
    How do you know it will be crisp, loud and clear?
    How do you know the speaker is great?
    What makes it the best screen on the market?
    How is the design beautiful?
    What is so great about a light and thin body? (I personally don't like them in a phone)
    What if I don't care about FFC because it is useless to me?

    Again, spitting out your opinions... not facts.
  23. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    The fact that a restaurant founder is a reason enough to chose an inferior phone, just shows how ridiculous is the app situation on Windows Phone.

    Use Local Scout or Yelp to find a cool restaurant, if you are lost then ask someone for directions or your map or GPS.

    The camera being just as good is really just wishful thinking, as the 8X camera is the same as the OneX which is currently the best Android camera.

    With the 820 you will be getting

    Worse resolution
    Worse display
    Worse audio
    Worse cameras
    Worse processor
    Worse looks (subjective, but come on son)

    But wait, it has some Nokia variants of apps that already exist. That's surely worth buying an inferior product... jeez.

    Worse processor huh?

    The processors are identical. 1.5 ghz dual core Snapdragon S4 (MSM 8960)

    Nice try. Most of us know by now that you aren't a source of reliable or objective information though, so this should be no surprise.

    Once again, you're talking out of your **** and reviewing phones which you have never even seen, used or been in the same room with. The only item you listed which we can be sure of is "worse resolution".

    I'm beginning to think taking you off my ignore list was a mistake.
    metalchick719 likes this.
  24. ryeworth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    The fact that a restaurant founder is a reason enough to chose an inferior phone, just shows how ridiculous is the app situation on Windows Phone.

    Use Local Scout or Yelp to find a cool restaurant, if you are lost then ask someone for directions or your map or GPS.

    The camera being just as good is really just wishful thinking, as the 8X camera is the same as the OneX which is currently the best Android camera.

    With the 820 you will be getting

    Worse resolution
    Worse display
    Worse audio
    Worse cameras
    Worse processor
    Worse looks (subjective, but come on son)

    But wait, it has some Nokia variants of apps that already exist. That's surely worth buying an inferior product... jeez.
    I don't know if it's intentional but it seems like you're trying to make what is a superb phone seem lackluster. Here's some more list magic from another point of view.

    With the 820 you will be getting (excuse the case blitz btw):

    Rugged Cases for demanding scenarios.
    NFC cases
    Wireless charging cases
    Cases for the more fashion conscious in our community
    Dolby sound and equalisers (on what planet is "Beats" better than Dolby)
    Carl Zeiss 8mp camera
    Nokia build quality
    Nokia dedication/dependency to WP
    Exclusive third party apps
    Exclusive in house apps - seriously, check out drive, music and reading/news stream alone (never mind games from EA etc)

    While I completely agree with you that the 8X isn't a bad phone, please don't disregard the Lumia 820 so quickly :)
  25. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    What's so great about an actually useful FFC?
    I think I've said this already, but here goes once more:

    You personally don't get any benefits from that FFC, only the people you Skype with do. If you're pretty enough. HTC likes to tout that it's a HD wide-angle FFC that's supposedly great for group photos but if you think about it, it's still only a 2 megapixel camera with a very small sensor. That's not going to be worth anything unless you are in optimal conditions.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions