Made in flanders

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the answers.

You're right, I can't ask what you think between BB10 and WP8, a better question would have been what you think between BBOS7.1 and WP7.5. Or what you you think will be the best BB10 or WP8. I don't know anymore, I'm confused.:confused:

But seriously, I have to say that WP(8) looks appealing. First I really didn't like it, but there is just something with those tiles.

And yeah, I'm going to wait until BB10 comes out (I hope very soon) and compare them for myself. But if my curve breaks down before it comes out (and it starts to act really weird sometimes, so I'm not sure if it can go much longer) I will buy a WP I think.

I really hope that both RIM and NOKIA can be saved within the next year.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I currently use a BB Bold 9900 and I will be getting the Lumia 810 when released. I will be making the switch since everything I love about Blackberry won't be around in version 10 anyway such as the trackpad and the blackberry menu button. Since BB10 would be a new platform for me anyway, there is no difference swithching from BB 7.1 to either BB10 or WP8 since I will have to learn a new platform regardless. I love the integrated features of Blackberry. To be able to take any file and choose to either send via email, messaging, BBM, Bluetooth, etc. I also love being able to send and receive contacts and calendar appointments via text, email, or BBM. I hope WP8 will be able to do all of these tasks. I heard you can't attach a pdf file in WP7.5 nor can you send a vCard or vCalendar file. I hope basic features like this will be supported in WP8 or I might have to change my mind. I'm assuming it will be supported since WP8 is trying to attract the enterprise market.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
RIM has an advantage in the enterprise. It will take a lot to erode that away.

That is changing. One of my family members works in the IT department of a company. His old title was "BES Admin". The company went BYOD in 2011 and now allows all smartphone platforms except BlackBerry. My relative's new title is "Mobile Device Admin".

dhack21

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You could always pick up a used 7.8 device and see how you like the OS before dropping the cash on a new device. I switch my son between my focus and my curve frequently and find I only do so for bridging to my playbook.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
At this point BB10 could end up being a real letdown. They will have to relaese whatever they have in 1st qtr next year. No matter what shape its in. They would not be able to withstand another delay and missed product cycle.

Not a device I'd preorder.

Dirkmyer

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
While Google dropped support for BBOS, BB10 will use active sync, so everything will flow really well together.

RIM will also have 100,000 + apps available at launch.

They are also unveiling some cool things, so stayed tuned.

WP8 is very compelling, but at the end of the day, I think BB10 will provide a better mobile platform. Just look at how seamless communicating will be, or even checking meetings.. :smile:

Anyways, thats my 2 cents

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm a WP ******, as you can see by my signature. This may be slightly bias, but....

-- WP overall has more apps then BB9 (I can't imagine BB10 changing anything, like WP8 has done for MS, as a majority of the reason for WP's growing marketshare is the fact that I see an advertisement for it every few minutes.)

-- WP is FINISHED and RELEASED. Imagine the amount of bugs BB10 will have at launch.

-- WP has a larger overall userbase/ecosystem.

-- WP Has MS office, great for enterprise users.

-- WP has sync between all your MS devices

-- WP has NFC

Now, for blackberry's side....

-- A few thousand apps

-- Static tiles

-- Outdated hardware

-- No windows NT kernel (Just the fact it's a windows-based operating system made me get WP8, as Windows runs on all of my computers, and skydrive sync makes them all work together)

-- Biased comparison

ourabmen

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, IMHO, BB is going to sing a funeral dirge at some point in the near future. They missed the paradigm shift, and when that happens, it's light's out. A lot of companies ran BB's for years, andn the old guard at the helm of these outfits are relenting across all fronts: tablet integration, demands of the younger generation of employees, etc. Darwin was right, BB is going to the museum along with Wang, Unisys, Palm, the carrier pigeon, Pontiac, Plymouth and Oldsmobile. There is simply too much inertia working against BB with the under 40 generation to overcome. Ironically they started the revolution. I remember when I received my first BB device: it was like a dream come true. I had the best of both worlds: a phone, email, and PDA My Palm went into the trash bin.

Google, MS, and Apple have there hooks to deeply imbedded into folks to allow for a 4th OS in the marketplace. They had a nice run.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would never go back to BlackBerry for two reasons: 1) enterprise device management is a PITA. At least with ActiveSync it's built in to Exchange... I don't have to run a separate server with a separate management tool. 2) I've been around through too many BlackBerry network outages to put myself in the position to have them again. I mean, really, smartphones and cellular technology is flaky enough as it is, why add on another layer which can crash and take out your connectivity?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I am also unconvinced that BB10 will have the big name apps when it is launched. I expect to see a lot more apps for WP8, especially since many of these apps are already available for WP7.5.

I've heard BB10 is supposed to be able to run Android apps, like the Playbook did (I think). If that's the case, it would probably take care of the apps issue for a while, at least until they can get some native BB10 apps going.

That said, I'm not terribly impressed with what i have seen of BB10 yet. As long as RIM has kept everyone waiting, if it's anything short of astounding, I think it will be a huge disappointment. RIM is also going to be under the same relentless scrutiny that WP/Microsoft/Nokia are so they don't have much margin for error.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've heard BB10 is supposed to be able to run Android apps, like the Playbook did (I think). If that's the case, it would probably take care of the apps issue for a while, at least until they can get some native BB10 apps going.

That said, I'm not terribly impressed with what i have seen of BB10 yet. As long as RIM has kept everyone waiting, if it's anything short of astounding, I think it will be a huge disappointment. RIM is also going to be under the same relentless scrutiny that WP/Microsoft/Nokia are so they don't have much margin for error.
The main issue with the Android apps is that not all of them run on the Playbook. Whether that changes in BB10 remains to be seen. There are no native Skype or Netflix apps for the Playbook, and it is not possible to sideload Android versions of those apps.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Way to look at the time stamps guys... This thread has been dredged up from the bowls of the forum... No posts for almost a month and we're posting on it now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon