How many GB will WP8 OS consume?

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in the HTC 8X, and 16 GB is enough for me. However, I am afraid that if the WP 8 OS takes up more than 3-4 GB the 8X just may not be enough.

How much memory are we expecting the WP OS to take up? WP7 was approximately 2 GB, correct?

schlubadub

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
My 16GB HD7 reports that it has a total of 14.63GB storage. I always thought that was due to the typical vendor way of saying 16 GB = 16,000,000,000 B when it's actually much higher.... Sooo "16GB" is 14.9 GB in actual real storage (keep dividing 16 billion by 1024). If mine is reporting 14.63 then the WP7 OS is just under 300 MB. We won't know about WP8 until next week.

Personally I find 16 GB inadequate as I have a lot of music, apps and photos. I am waiting for a 32GB + microSD phone.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any music in my phone and barely any apps. I do have thousands and thousands of pictures though, yet I'm still just at 10.GB. Music and videos just eat GB.

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 4 (16 GB) actually reported 13.7 GB available...essentially the OS was taking up 2.3 GB of memory. I can live with that...maybe even up to 3 GB. If WP8 OS is bigger than that I may have too look at larger storage options.

I've had my iPhone 4 for a year-and-a-half and still have over 6.5 GB available, so it shouldn't be an issue :)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yo stroke I have a question. What kind of battery does the iphone have? I'm planning of getting the 8S and on the site HTC keeps boasting about great battery life but it just has 1700MHZ =/. Is that good enough for a dual-core device?

I ask that because the iphone has a similar screen size.

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I have never researched the size...I think I read somewhere that Apple doesn't even share the battery-size info.

On a personal note, the battery life on my 4 has always been reliable and acceptable...then again, I'm not playing a lot of games, watching movies or listening to a ton of music, either.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't do any of that stuff but I use the browser a lot. And my optimus can get only 2 hours of straight browsing, it will die in seconds =(.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
lol expandable store. I'm not paying 100 dollars for an SD card, I lose those things all the time.

But I do have the hardest of times, thinking which color to choose my 8S.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
lol expandable store. I'm not paying 100 dollars for an SD card, I lose those things all the time.

But I do have the hardest of times, thinking which color to choose my 8S.
$100? A 32GB microSD card is $21.64 on Amazon! Shouldn't be much more outside of Amazon. As far as losing the card, wouldn't the card be on your phone 99% of the time? Also, the 8S only comes with 4GB!! You'll need a microSD card eventually.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 4 (16 GB) actually reported 13.7 GB available...essentially the OS was taking up 2.3 GB of memory. I can live with that...maybe even up to 3 GB. If WP8 OS is bigger than that I may have too look at larger storage options.

I've had my iPhone 4 for a year-and-a-half and still have over 6.5 GB available, so it shouldn't be an issue :)

Another difference that I didn't really know until we talked about it at work, with my iphone friends. IPhone apps are humongous. WinPhone app styling uses clean space and text instead of skeumorphic graphics, making the same app on WP considerably smaller than te equivalent ios app.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This is a good question and something I've wondered, too. I wouldn't go 16GB with WP8 (plan on either getting the Lumia 810, which has expandable storage up to 32GB or the Lumia 920 with 32GB), but I have a 16GB iPhone 4 that has only 4.2GB of space left. I have almost 7GB of music on my phone and then one video that took up at least close to a half gig from a concert I went to on Friday night. 55 pics, too, I believe (32 of them were from that concert). I've got 39 apps on my iPhone as well, and I know those take up some space, too. I feel more comfortable having at least 5GB of space free.

Last edited:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
$100? A 32GB microSD card is $21.64 on Amazon! Shouldn't be much more outside of Amazon. As far as losing the card, wouldn't the card be on your phone 99% of the time? Also, the 8S only comes with 4GB!! You'll need a microSD card eventually.

Didn't Microsoft said that SD cards in Windows Phone 8 will be swapable and stuff? I don't want to leave my MicroSD card and merge it with my regular stuff. I will then have to reset my phone or something after is done. Nuh Uh sir, I use Office quite a bit and I lost all those files that were "save to skydrive" instead of on the phone.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
16 responses and not a single answer to the op. Some of you must have had a WP8 in your hands to have a look at how much space the O/S consumes? (make that 17 posts now... :blush:)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I already said how much GB WP7 takes in a same GB devices and that I don't know how much WP8 will take. So there wasn't much to talk about except some casual talk.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Didn't Microsoft said that SD cards in Windows Phone 8 will be swapable and stuff? I don't want to leave my MicroSD card and merge it with my regular stuff. I will then have to reset my phone or something after is done. Nuh Uh sir, I use Office quite a bit and I lost all those files that were "save to skydrive" instead of on the phone.
I don't remember MS using the term "swappable" regarding microSD cards. I did read that the cards would be used for media (music, movies, pictures). I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow, huh?

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium