Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    As usual, whenever Microsoft releases a new mobile operating system, something useful that you might rely on gets removed.
    •FM Radio support
    •Native turn-by-turn touch to announce driving directions (replaced by third party apps)
    •WiFi sync with the desktop (now only cloud sync or USB transfer is available)
    •Auto-playlists sync (playlists need to be created manually now)
    •Quick share to Facebook. Now you have to press the Share button, scroll, & tap Facebook
    •Sharing posts and pictures to the Windows Live Social is gone
    •The option to remove location info from pictures when uploading to social networks is gone (but you can still
    disallow saving location information with photos)
    •The “New Note” start screen tile shortcut is no longer available
    From Neogaf-From Pocketnow review.

Bad decisions, specially the lack of quick share to facebook. Try to win to smoke contests now.

Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    I thought the ATIV S had FM radio?

I'll be gutted if wifi sync has gone.

F&*k drag and drop, when you just point zune at the right locations, and it automatically finds everything, and purchases from any store just sync when your phone does.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Overall, he gave the OS a 9. Not too shabby. His "Pros" easily outnumbered the few "Cons" that he had.

Here's the link to the entire review. Old Winterfang didn't point out his overall positive feel for the OS.
    http://pocketnow.com/2012/10/29/windows-phone-8-review
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    "Actually took away features" implies there was a drop in features. There was a net increase, though I'm hardly surprised by another clickbait post.
    cedarlog likes this.
    Can we attach a PDF to an email yet!? - YES WE CAN!!!
    cedarlog likes this.
    Can we edit an email before forwarding??
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    From Neogaf-From Pocketnow review.

Bad decisions, specially the lack of quick share to facebook. Try to win to smoke contests now.
    Can I change your username to Negativefang?
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    In his defence he did warn last night that he will blow this **** up if he isn't happy. Considering the situation, I think MSFT has done a decent job as Winterfang seems really top notch tonight! ;)

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    Winterfang = New Samsung Galaxy S3 owner!

Congrats 'Fang! Enjoy Androidcentral.
    My next phone...
    With all due respect Nokia drive is free and will be included with every WP8. Maybe MS thought that would be better than the built in solution that will still have directions
    aubreyq and cedarlog like this.

That was by far the deepest and most informative review I have read. It's also nice to see one from someone who actively uses the product and isn't hopelessly entranched in the Google and Android ecosystem.

Unfortunately it also confirmed all of my fears in regards to the new sync app. It's terrible. I use autoplaylists all the time and quite frankly I love that Zune is both a media player and sync client, it makes it so easy to manage my stuff. I don't understand why they would take such a huge step backwards with this. Then again, the W8 music app is a pretty big step back in most respects too. Hopefully, with the sync app still in beta, it will be improved greatly in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    Winterfang = New Samsung Galaxy S3 owner!

Congrats 'Fang! Enjoy Androidcentral.

He mentioned elsewhere that he's going to get the Nexus 4 so hopefully we can wish him happy trails.
    socialcarpet likes this.

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I am really bummed about removing wireless sync. Also am bummed about turn-by-turn nav. If all phones come with Nokia Drive as has been speculated I will let that pass, but it's hard to imagine HTC or Samsung allowing the name Nokia anywhere on their phones. And the real kicker: there are no models yet with a keyboard.

It is starting to look like me and my Quantum might sit this one out, unfortunately. We'll see what the first update brings..

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Lipp, where has it been stated Nokia Srive is not present? Nokia Drive + will be Nokia exclusive which means no voice guided directions directions on HTC or Samsung phones. Quite a difference.

The Windows Live social pages is a dying product for Microsoft, I understand why they too away the social update sharing to it.

As for the Facebook thing, one more step is far from a removed feature or deal breaker. Take two extra seconds, it'll be alright.

The only bummer is the removal of wi-fi syncing IMHO. This article is clickbait obviously as they fail to remind everyone and as everyone forgets here that Microsoft added over 1000 new features with WP8.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

Global Posts
    8,085 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    With all due respect Nokia drive is free and will be included with every WP8. Maybe MS thought that would be better than the built in solution that will still have directions
    See, that's what they said during the presentation in June or whenever, but now it kind of sounds like what they're doing is including the Nokia / formerly Navteq maps into the OS, and any turn by turn navigation or processing of that is up to a third-party developer to use.

I mean, I hope that all manufacturers still get the Nokia Drive turn-by-turn stuff, but I'm not sure anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    See, that's what they said during the presentation in June or whenever, but now it kind of sounds like what they're doing is including the Nokia / formerly Navteq maps into the OS, and any turn by turn navigation or processing of that is up to a third-party developer to use.

I mean, I hope that all manufacturers still get the Nokia Drive turn-by-turn stuff, but I'm not sure anymore.
    From the Nokia blog comments below the article ( Nokia Drive for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog ):

"Windows phone 8 has been announced, but I still haven't heard about Nokia Drive being on non-nokia devices yet. Is this still true?

Yes this is still true and still happening. Nokia Drive is an app that we are going to make available to other Windows Phone 8 partners. The app itself will be released soon, but the other manufacturers and providers will decide how and where to make it available to their customers."
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    That's not comforting. I wish they'd just release it on the store like any other app.

Yeah, I know. It's not like the other manufacturers are going to jump and release it as soon as they get it. Still, it's nice knowing that it'll be out there sometime :/

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I think he should get the boot. I've never seen him write anything positive. I've mentioned about his negativity before. I wonder how successful he is in life because negative attitudes don't get you very far...

Everyone criticising Winterfang is missing the point: MS dropped the ball on sync software, big time. IMO the Zune client is one of the best all-in-one pieces of media software out there. It plays music, videos, and podcasts, it connects to the marketplace to download the same, it syncs with your portable music player, all in a pretty, efficient, and smooth interface. What is it being replaced with? Drag and drop? Windows Media Player? Really? What an absolutely horrible way to manage gigabytes of content. This is a huge fail and honestly might make me hold off of WP8. In this day and age, it's inexcusable not to have a top-notch media management application; MS has one, they've just decided to abandon it. Pity.

-R
    Last edited by sketchy9; 10-31-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: clarity
    Everyone stop. Take a deep breath, and think for a second.

There is no doubt in my mind MS was in crunch mode for a long time to meet their deadline on Windows Phone 8. Couple that with the fact that they just practically just pulled an entirely new ecosystem out of their a**es in a relatively smooth manner and I'm sure they were feeling the pressure.

Now, yes it bites that they removed the coolest features from Zune desktop in their new software, but I can think of dozens of things about Zune desktop that needed improvement and it rarely saw big updates.

Consider that they knew they would be replacing it with a better process.

Consider that they have the ability to push the update to the sync app through the Windows Store.

Consider that they add these features in the near future... they did just start from scratch with the syncing software.

Consider that the WiFi sync capabilities are still in the OS, but simply hidden, or coming in a patch when the corresponding desktop/metro apps are ready for the feature.

Thank about it.
    Thanked by:
    cedarlog and GoodThings2Life like this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Crunch mode? New Ecosystem? I could care less about what they do with Zune, It started to suck. But what's the new ecosystem, I can't see anything but them building on what they have already established. I see nothing more than a name change for customer interest.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    Thank about it.
    Think about what? I am not interested in the inner workings of the company and I am not an apologist. If they don't bring features that I want and/or take away features that I like then I will not be upgrading. That's a very simply thought process from my perspective. If they make updates in the future then I will re-evaluate. Until then, I am passing on this first wave, much like I passed on WP7 until Mango.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9 View Post
    Everyone criticising Winterfang is missing the point: MS dropped the ball on sync software, big time. IMO the Zune client is one of the best all-in-one pieces of media software out there. It plays music, videos, and podcasts, it connects to the marketplace to download the same, it syncs with your portable music player, all in a pretty, efficient, and smooth interface. What is it being replaced with? Drag and drop? Windows Media Player? Really? What an absolutely horrible way to manage gigabytes of content. This is a huge fail and honestly might make me hold off of WP8. In this day and age, it's inexcusable not to have a top-notch media management application; MS has one, they've just decided to abandon it. Pity.

-R
    I'm guessing the drag and drop is due to the adamant android and win mobile people that were *****ing about having to use Zune on WP7 and how much easier it'd be to just drag and drop files. I know that's the case with at least one friend of mine.
    cckgz4 and alpinestars1z like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast