Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

PIN
    No
    I'm not sure if it's been addressed, but what about gapless album playback? And how about putting the FM radio back?
    Definitely need forward/back buttons in IE as well. What a pain it is to not have such simple functionality...
    Last edited by Niavlys77; 11-01-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Addition to list
    aubreyq likes this.

There are 2 big omissions that IMO should be added to the list.

VPN Support: if you want to get businesses on board then you need this. Really surprised that it's not in WP8

Maps: get rid of the ****ing ridiculous limitation where you need to tap to get the next direction. It's been 2 years and counting. Come on MS. No excuses for something this dumb.
    Last edited by thed; 11-01-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    Hey, anybody know what happened to AngryNil? Miss that guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post

Preset-oriented alarm management - far too many apps now force presets on a user. Life isn't strictly routine. Sometimes an alarm is needed once-off, and the user shouldn't have to go through a multi-field input screen to do this.
    I don't think it is consistent to include the issue of how "far too many alarm apps force presets on a user", when your compiling a list about OS deficiencies. I think this should be replaced with a clear statement how the default alarm app should function.

No persistent WiFi - WiFi disconnects when the device is off and not charging. Tests have already proven that WiFi does not significantly drain the battery if left on, so this is an arbitrary restriction.
    You might want to take a look at Jim's article (I found it a very interesting read) and also the comments. If "Joker" is correct, WP8 might already be constantly connected. You might want to check up on that. I have no idea if it is accurate.

To those I would add:

Zune Pass, video rentals, Audio recognition, Bing cards and Local Scout - These services are still far too restricted to specific countries. Customers without these services feel betrayed, as they payed the same price as elsewhere and got less for it. These services need to be available wherever WP devices are sold.

Keyboard numbers row - These days, many websites mandate the use of numbers in passwords. This is even more true in corporate settings. The default keyboard makes this cumbersome. The addition of an extra top row of numerals would solve the problem. The inclusion of that row may be optional, but it should always be visible when entering data into a password field.
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-01-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Changed my response to WiFi ability.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    Keyboard numbers row - These days, many websites mandate the use of numbers in passwords. This is even more true in corporate settings. The default keyboard makes this cumbersome. The addition of an extra top row of numerals would solve the problem. The inclusion of that row may be optional, but it should always be visible when entering data into a password field.
    THIS, THIS a million times THIS.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    My username is getting glitched in the system with the account changes and Dave seems to be ignoring me :[
    My username is getting glitched in the system with the account changes and Dave seems to be ignoring me :[
    Yeah right, either an imposter or schizophrenic I say!

Anyway, I forgot to link to Jim's article... corrected that in the above post.
    AngryNil likes this.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Adding in the new suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiiiiiiiii View Post
    - Password support for the IE10
    What do you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiiiiiiiii View Post
    - Black background when reading email, not just email list
    Is the background colour and text colour dictated by the email message? If so, there's nothing Microsoft can really do here, and messages are generally written for a white background.

I don't think it is consistent to include the issue of how "far too many alarm apps force presets on a user", when your compiling a list about OS deficiencies. I think this should be replaced with a clear statement how the default alarm app should function.
    I'm going to reword most of the suggestions to fit in with the new "improvements" title. That point was kind of rushed, I'm going to change it to say that I'd appreciate a quick once-off alarm feature to complement the preset based alarm app that is built in.

take a look at Jim's article (I found it a very interesting read) and also the comments. If "Joker" is correct, WP8 might already be constantly connected. You might want to check up on that. I have no idea if it is accurate.
    I'll have a look at it, thanks. I seem to recall I've had experiences where the icon is definitely not just a placeholder and I have gotten "no connection" from some apps directly after waking, I'll have to check up on it.
    Last edited by irlju; 11-01-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Since it's clear MSFT ran out of time to add most requested features and fixes, I think we should keep this post updated.

I saw a post about gapless music playback, despite I never had issues with music playback apparently it's a major feature to some people so I think it's a good addition to the list.

This post is also great for new windows phone users who frequently ask about improvements mentioned.

Yeah right, either an imposter or schizophrenic I say!
    Or sock puppet
    a5cent likes this.

Collapsible Email Subfolders. I could get several employee's to switch to WP8 or the Surface if only they allowed Collapsible Subfolders.

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    This list isn't a list of flaws identified in the system. This list is the list of your personal choices that MSFT did not address even after you wrote numerous post cards to them.
    Wi-Fi being on all the time shouldn't be a huge drain on the battery.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm1950 View Post
    Wi-Fi being on all the time shouldn't be a huge drain on the battery.
    In fact, tests have found leaving WiFi on can in fact improve battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by hwalker84 View Post
    Collapsible Email Subfolders. I could get several employee's to switch to WP8 or the Surface if only they allowed Collapsible Subfolders.
    By this, do you mean being able to collapse the folders for an account in a linked inbox, or something else? I'll add it once I'm sure what you mean.

Notificationcenter mentioned at BUILD!
    Awesome news!

Skip to 2:45...
    In WP8 Live Tiles will now no longer expire after 2 weeks - YouTube!

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Or sock puppet
    Sock puppet no longer!

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    From what I have heard NFC does not have access to OS operations such as turning on/off radios, changing ringer options, etc. If this is true I hope for that to change with an update.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Sock puppet no longer!
    Nice. This handle suits you better.
    AngryNil likes this.
    AngryNil likes this.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Microsoft should be doing this more. That is, confirming they are fixing or improving little things. These aren't headline features and announcing them early doesn't lessen the impact of the next update when it arrives, since it will likely be glossed over by most tech sites. It will keep fans happy to know Microsoft is at least aware of some of the problems and is working to fix them.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    These shouldn't be incredibly hard coding that is beyond Microsoft's capability:
    - Separate volume controls for apps/ringtones (every other platform including dumbphones, and Windows Mobile had this)
    - Ability to have at least two browser control buttons for IE
    - Numbers row on Keyboard for IE
    - Open in Background Tab for IE
    - Speed Dial for IE (heck, the entire Windows Phone Start Screen layout (And Windows 8) is a Speed Dial!)
    AngryNil likes this.

Nice list. Now than WP8 is out, MS needs to looks at the top 10 things users want (ie custom volume controls) as well as going through each existing hardwired app/function and makes lists on what can be improved/updated/enhanced. Things like Calendar, email, volume, brightness.

There's no excuse why we shouldn't see many significant improvements/enhancements on the next update which hopefully isn't going to take a year or more to roll out.

For the browser, why can't they have a hidden bar on the top, that comes down if you swype down from the top of your screen?
    They really have retarded IE as a browser. Its just way too basic and should easily offer more. This is why I wish they'd just let a 3rd party dev be able to create a browser not forced to be built off of IE. Could say the same for email. Touchdown for Android was an excellent email app as was Dolphin HD as a browser, both 3rd party and top notch

You can scrub music that is playing by pressing and holding the next track button.

You can multi-select texts and emails by pressing at the very left edge of the screen for one of the items. A check box will appear and you can check each item you want.

Great list!
    Last edited by wpcautobot; 11-11-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcautobot View Post
    You can scrub music that is playing by pressing and holding the next track button.
    That's not scrubbing, that's just fast-forwarding. Scrubbing is being able to drag a slider to any point in a file.

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    You need to put WiFi Sync at the top of that list in big, bold font. It's by far the biggest gap in the product considering it existed in WP7/Zune.

Also, Podcast support in XBox Music and auto-playlists. I guess that could be called a Win8 issue, but since it limits WP8 functionality it's worth noting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus1976 View Post
    That's not scrubbing, that's just fast-forwarding. Scrubbing is being able to drag a slider to any point in a file.

Oh you are right.... My bad. At least you can fast forward.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast