07-23-2013 12:31 AM
- The things that bug me the most that need to be fix/implimented. Still an awesome platform, don't get me wrong. Not missing iOS or Android at all, but I consider myself a MS Fanboy anyway.
12-10-2012 03:39 PM
- Different volumes for apps/notifications/whatever
- Notification/Toast Center of some type...
- Custom sounds for Text messags and such. (Really shocked this didn't make it in yet... I want my R2D2 text message sound dang it!)
- Custom sounds for toasts. The best example I can give is the ESPN app on iOS. They have their own little ESPN sound everytime it gets a score update so I know exactly what it is. Duh duh duh.... duh duh duh!! It's pretty cool actually.
- S/MIME for encrypted email. It's actually gone a step backwards since WP7.5. Before I could at least READ encrypted email by importing my certificates. Now I can't even do that. Can't get users off Blackberry until I have this.
- Let me add my Twitter account without linking it to my Live Account. I have a "family" live account as my main account and I don't want to link Twitter to it. I can add Facebook by itself, let me add Twitter too.
- Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't understand the "fix" to auto-hide the current song playing on the lock screen after a few seconds. Maybe this should be optional? I barely have time to hear what song it is before it goes away. Maybe a hybrid approach... if I wake up my phone, and actually skip a song... keep the playback UI alive for an extended time. If I wake up the phone, but don't interact with the playback UI, then auto-hide as normal. Would that make everyone happy?12-10-2012 04:56 PM
- Problem: Inconsistent behavior of the capacitive back button... the music app is resumed either from the app mamger or the volume control (by tapping the current track info). In this case IE opens the music app, but there is no way to navigate to higer level music screens without relaunching the music app from either the start screen or app list.
Last edited by AngryNil; 12-10-2012 at 09:55 PM.12-10-2012 09:01 PM
Ice Cream Sandwich explained: MTP - what is it, why use it, and how to set it up | Android Central12-10-2012 09:55 PM
- Not too sure what you mean here, could you elaborate?
- No podcasts are hosted by Microsoft, Apple, etc. I think what you'd want here is the ability to add podcasts by their feed URL, which I've added.12-10-2012 09:56 PM
- Fixed the podcasts issue. I found the solution while searching around today:
WP8 won't download or subscribe to Podcasts? - Microsoft Community
It seems as if previously attempting to sync podcasts with iTunes is the culprit. I use a Mac (OS X 10.8.2) as my primary computer. Not sure if that matters or not.
Anyhow, I'll recap for those still having issues:
Problem: Attempting to subscribe to podcasts in the WP Store fails. Pressing 'subscribe' has no discernible effect, and manual downloads fail with similar symptoms (e.g nothing happens). Issue arises after syncing podcasts from iTunes to WP.
Fix: Per the above link, restoring the phone to factory defaults appears to resolve the issue. I did not do this, instead electing to do the following:
1) Connected my Lumia 822 to my Mac.
2) Opened WP desktop app, and UNCHECKED all of the sync options (***Warning: BACK UP BEFORE PROCEEDING***).
3) Last, I hit the 'sync' button at the bottom of the app.
Once the sync completed, I disconnected the phone and attempted to subscribe to a podcast in the WP Store.
As an aside, some of the users in that other thread reported that simply removing the podcasts synced from iTunes is all that's really required. I was not able to do this, as I did not see any podcasts on my phone browsing through the WP app (strange). When I first got the phone I did attempt to sync podcasts from iTunes (several times) and to my knowledge it never worked successfully. Eventually, I just gave up.
In any case, it looks like we managed to get one gripe scratched off the list.
Last edited by thor_molecules; 12-11-2012 at 04:20 AM.12-10-2012 10:04 PM
- I've amended the point, it's still a bug. You shouldn't have to remove iTunes podcast syncing in order to subscribe on the device, and if there is some low-level issue that Microsoft can't work around there, then you should be notified on the device that you cannot subscribe while syncing with iTunes.
I've also added the Portico changes.12-10-2012 11:54 PM
- Should be possible by long pressing on messages.
- Not too sure what you mean here, could you elaborate?
- No podcasts are hosted by Microsoft, Apple, etc. I think what you'd want here is the ability to add podcasts by their feed URL, which I've added.
I assume you mean voice dictation.
XBox Music+Video is just a mess period, and should be rethought out. Apple fired the guy in charge of their maps fiasco, Microsoft should do the same. Oh... wait... they did. Never mind. But, yes to be able to add a podcast by it's RSS feed.
Yes, more areas in the core apps that understand Voice Dictation. I have always been amazed at how well Microsoft's speech recognition works from Windows 7 and on up.
As for the question of why I would like to disable the lock screen. When I'm driving in the car, I connect my phone to my car stereo to listen to music (connected via 3.5mm cable to AUX in). I do a deep shuffle of all my songs. Sometimes I want to skip a song that comes up in the rotation. If the screen is locked, I have to reach down, find the power button, press, then press the skip forward button on the screen (to find that on screen button I sometimes have to look for it and take my eyes off the road).
It's a lot easier to just disable the lock screen, leave the Music player running, and just swipe the screen from right to left to skip a song. I can do it without looking down at the screen.
Last edited by Guzzler3; 12-11-2012 at 09:34 AM.12-11-2012 09:00 AMLike 2
- For the life of me, I can not figure out how to copy part a SMS message from someone. I have done a long press, short press, jab, swipe, held the edge, all I get is copy ALL the msg. I'm lost. All for something as simple as getting a text message that says "Meet me at Macayo's Bar". I have no clue where Macayo's Bar is, and would like to just copy "Macayo's Bar" and paste it into the search function.
Yeah, currently you can only copy the entire message. It would be nice to be able to do what you've described.12-11-2012 09:38 AM
Your two examples are with Internet Explorer and Music. While they are both bundled, first party apps, they also operate in a different way from all other apps - third party and first party. Both IE and Music can function as multiple instances. To explain: each IE tab, to the best of my knowledge, is recognised as a separate app by the task switcher. Music has its "library" instance - which includes the panoramic first screen and browsing your library, but also creates a separate "app" for the music playback screen.
I can only comment from my experience with Windows Phone 7.x, but here's my take on what's going on. I don't think your examples show a flaw in the general philosophy of the back button. The problem with Music is that the Now Playing screen is a separate app. There is no navigational continuity between your music library and the music playback - you can launch the playback app from the library app, but otherwise they are separated. This can be addressed by Microsoft making them a single app.
The problem with IE seems twofold. First, you aren't guaranteed the ability to cycle through your navigation between tabs because of the issue outlined above - each tab is a separate app, and so their order can get mixed up. The second problem is that IE, from a navigational standpoint, launches a new instance when you press its tile - but you don't notice this because you see your last opened webpage showing up. It keeps the webpage you had open, but otherwise launches a completely new instance with the open webpage as the new first screen. You can see the problem is with the tile launch by testing it yourself - if you use the task switcher, you keep your history, but if you use the tile, you don't. The fix here is for Microsoft to keep the navigational history when the tile is launched (make IE use proper "fast resume").
My question for WP8 users, though: is the problem I outline for IE the same for all fast resume enabled apps, when resuming from the start screen? For example, if you navigate to your inbox in the Facebook app, press the start button, and resume through the tile, can you press back from the inbox and return to the first screen? If not, fast resume itself is a severely flawed implementation.
Last edited by AngryNil; 12-11-2012 at 11:50 PM.12-11-2012 11:22 PM
- So I've been using the WP Store quite a bit these past days and I realised that almost every app is plagued with the issue of spam reviews. This is quite a serious matter and could undermine the quality and reliability of the entire Windows Phone Store. A suggestion would be to have some sort of screening process for app reviews. I have submitted a separate feedback to MS as well on this but just thought I'd put it here.12-14-2012 10:43 AM
- 12-14-2012 08:30 PM
- 12-17-2012 12:51 AM
- 12-17-2012 03:38 AM
- Why isn't this thread being liked and thanked for like crazy? The more Microsoft addresses this list, the more users Windows Phone will have and the better for everybody.
Anyway, I'd like to suggest for "Basics" to add a feature request for custom UI colors or at least add WAY more colors than they already have.
Last edited by Byzantium; 12-17-2012 at 07:35 AM.12-17-2012 04:23 AM
- This is a great list. At some point once the list is more final it would be great if someone threw it up on the Microsoft feature suggestion site.
Feature Suggestions: Hot (19536 ideas) Maybe it has a chance of being seen there.
Even better, delete everything on WP's feature suggestion site and just replace it with this! ;-)12-17-2012 04:33 PM
- Sorry for abandoning this over the past month, but I have been reading around and have quite a few more improvements to add to the list over the next few days. The feature suggestion site does face a dilemma, in that moderators could potentially push their own agendas and opinions, while the current lack of moderation results in a lack of coherence and quality. I'll try my best to accommodate all opinions here, I know I unfairly flipped at rockstarzz earlier in the thread.02-02-2013 08:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD