They've done it right this time!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
When Steve said "Microsoft is all in" - I didn't believe it. But that statement seems to have made a huge impact everywhere. The reviews look promising and on Twitter Windows Phone 8 is trending worldwide. That I've only seen with iPhones and iPads so far, well and Jelly Beans. So as far as e-media is concerned, it is all positive. People are talking about it, other than our forums where negativity still lurks around. Probably we've expected too much and raised the bar. Other than the exclusivity fiasco, Nokia Lumia 920 is being hailed as an iPhone alternative for the first time in UK, which can only be a good start! Exciting 12 months, hope they nail it this time.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there has been a lot of positive noise coming from twitter over wp8.

Pity about the EE exclusivity though for the 920. It may hamper sales. There was an article in the press saying that 'experts' suggest avoiding EE because of the price/low data limits.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there has been a lot of positive noise coming from twitter over wp8.

Pity about the EE exclusivity though for the 920. It may hamper sales. There was an article in the press saying that 'experts' suggest avoiding EE because of the price/low data limits.

Yeah that has been the common idea - Avoid EE. The prices are too high, allowances are low and once you are off-the-allowance, these prices are unmatched to anything expensive!

Also, we hardly know what the coverage is like. I read on CNET that this exclusivity doesn't end till Spring 2013, which means Lumia 920 is pretty much dead on 4G.

I'm hoping SIM-free versions are out sometime this November. Else HTC 8S for time being it is for me.

andyrcarr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 Sim-Free and Unlocked

I'm hoping SIM-free versions are out sometime this November. Else HTC 8S for time being it is for me.

The prices for sim-free unlocked Lumia 920 are already available. They range from between 469.99 and 500. Which is around 100 cheaper than an iPhone 5.

That way you can be on pretty much any network, maybe go on the month by month contract and just switch to 4G when more competitive prices become available.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the future looks bright. I can't stop thinking about the Nexus 4 though, the prize is too good. I'll probably ditch Windows Phone then come back next year when the next wave of devices are in =)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Where can we order that SIM free Lumia 920, in the UK? I tried expansys but they don't have any prices for me. I've placed an order for yellow 920 but knowing price might help to see if a contract is worth after all. I'll be sticking with Three monthly rolling contract for now as such.

Winterfang - the price is cracking for the N4! But, the features aren't anything as appealing as Lumia 920 other than a quad-core. But again, I am not sure I need a quad-core just like people say they aren't sure about LTE or NFC.

leuvsion

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Just had EE tell me (while ording the Lumia 920 over the phone) the Lumia 920 is delayed atleast 2 weeks and they have not recevied stock, confused EE person or news leak?! :confused: (i put an order in anyway)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just saw ?460 for unlocked SIM-Free Lumia 920! ?30 more expensive than I wanted it to be, but worth it. Only red or yellow colour though. I am going to import one from USA, a cyan one I guess!

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I am seeing a lot of positive press about the launch, with the only negatives being the lack of apps. Of course people saying that are only looking at raw app count numbers and not considering that many of the top apps are here now.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
That is totally true for apps. I mean in a way that article about Apples app store needs to surface again where they said about 400,000 apps were NEVER downloaded even one time. Get that out of the equation from 750,000 apps - You get 350,000. Get rid of fart apps, boobs apps etc, you will probably be left with about 250,000 apps. WP has 120,000 and probably 90,000 if you exclude boob apps?

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
rockstarzzz, I was going to start a similar thread but as yours preceded mine by six weeks (thank WPC's 'similar posts' feature for finding your post), I will just tip my hat to your prediction and say, 'you called it'! MS has done it big. I owned a WP7 and returned it for an Android two years ago as I was waiting for things from MS Android already had.

No more; after having my 920 and WP8, I would never switch back to Android or iOS. I've tried all three and WP just lets me find and get things done quicker. The OS is smoother, I get better integrated data, and everything just seems to be easier. The speed with which they pushed out portico only confirms my belief that MS has integrated WP8 into it's future product road map and will only make it better than it is.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I've got three iOS people lined up to jump to WP, as soon as their contract is up.

I've got one Android person looking hard when his contract up. He's had personal data comprised one too many times with his phone.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've got three iOS people lined up to jump to WP, as soon as their contract is up.

I've got one Android person looking hard when his contract up. He's had personal data comprised one too many times with his phone.

My daughter is in the same boat :wink:. Unfortunately she's stuck with her iPhone for another year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)