So who's impressed and who's depressed?

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I am neutral...as a L900 user I am impressed with the under-the-hood changes but those were said 4 months ago. Nothing really radical popped out, even Jessica Alba was expected to a certain degree for the reveal event.

Still, I am excited for the hardware and WP8 delivers on that front pretty well.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This is something I don't understand. Not necessarily you in particular Dizzy, but I see people on here all the time who say they bought a 900 and are going to get the 920. Is that an international thing, or are you all just super rich? I get a phone on contract in the US and I'm stuck with it for 2 years. I see no advantage to paying $600+ for a phone off contract if my monthly billing stays the same (~$150/mo with me and wife). How can you all afford to switch phones every 6 months??

I don't get it :straight:

I have a family plan with 4 lines. So every 6 months I have a renewal available. Dad gets the new phone the kids get my phone. My son wants an iPhone5 now because his line is available for an upgrade. I had to explain to him he doesn't have an upgrade I do. :) He has 2 choices keep his iPhone4 or take my 6 month old 900.

You really don't have to wait 2 years AT&T will let you upgrade early usually around 18 months. Since you have 2 lines you can get a new phone every 9 months and give your wife your phone.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
the people who want him banned seem to be the first ones to rush in and comment on his threads and reply to his post. Must be some type of fetish. Its easy to block someone. Yet you all keep coming and commenting.

He must give you a boner or something.

Doesn't work so well when he's getting quoted so his font is still visible. *Kanye shrug*

Faux Carnival

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I waited for Windows Phone 8 for months. I was convinced that it was the perfect OS. However, it got bad reviews from tech sites. And Lumia 920 is a disappointment. People even say the camera is worse than iPhone 5. And we were thinking of DSLR quality... (of course not)

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I waited for Windows Phone 8 for months. I was convinced that it was the perfect OS. However, it got bad reviews from tech sites. And Lumia 920 is a disappointment. People even say the camera is worse than iPhone 5. And we were thinking of DSLR quality... (of course not)
First there's no such thing as perfect. Second who cares what tech sites say according to them wp7 was terrible and I now wouldn't take an android if it was given to me. Third if you were expecting dslr in the 920 you were just fooling yourself.

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
600 dollars

you dont have to be rich to spend 600 every 6 months, thats half a year.... plenty of time to come with with 600. That being said sometimes i switch up if my contract isnt up i pay outright if its up i use upgrade simple as that. So i might spend 600 then next year get an upgrade following year spend 600.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
who cares what tech sites say according to them wp7 was terrible and I now wouldn't take an android if it was given to me.

Although I do read them, reviews from any site or magazine have no bearing on what I buy or don't buy. It started years ago when consumers reports came out. I never trusted them either. It's almost impossible for them to be impartial. I'll listen more to what people who actually have bought the products feel.

OptimusDims

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
depressed

Ive picked up an 8X which is an awesome piece of kit but I'm stuggling with music management. The desktop app is sooo primative compared to zune. Would upgrading to win8 help? Any advice appreciated - thanks!

diego3336

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm giving up

First of all, my English sux, but I'll try to do my best.

I'm using Windows Phone since the launch as I was expecting it for months. I really enjoyed my phone (LG Optimus 7) even considering how limited the OS was, and even after the updates, I always felt as a beta tester but trusting the things would be better on the next update.

The thing is: the update pace of Windows Phone is too slow, in 2 years, only Mango can be considered a true update, but it was OK to me as MS launched its "UserVoice" suggestion box asking what us users wanted to see in future WP releases, so I figured out that WP8 would be the real deal, and again I was expecting the launch date to buy one, and all that mystery regarding WP8 on Nokia and MS events only made me trust that WP8 would blow the competition away, being the OS that their users wished for.

But after the launch event last week, the only thing I felt was a deja-vu. It's almost the same thing of WP7, with most of the same flaws and promises. What piss me off most is the fact that appears that MS isn't listening to our feedbacks. So many ideas on that feedback page, and they implemented only a few, like the screenshot capture, which, by the way, should be on WP7 since day one.

WP8 is still an incomplete OS to me and I'm tired to fool myself expecting the things to change "on the next major update".

I want to have the option to change the accent and background to any colour I want, the SMS tone, an easy way to set any custom ringtone I want, I want my wi-fi connection always on when my phone is plugged in the wall, et al.

Am I asking too much? It's my phone after all. If MS isn't willing to implement such simple things requested by thousands of people in their sugestion box for the last 12 months, even after a kernel change, I lost my faith.

To me, WP8 will be exactly like the WP7: a second-class citizen on Windows family, delivering always less than expected in terms of updates and tweaks.

I really like Windows Phone, but I was expecting a real "customizable" experience now. Unfortunately I will need to go to Android to fulfill my needs, but I will ditch my Xoom for a Surface Pro to keep contact to everything I learned to like and enjoy with my Windows Phone.

Last edited:

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
i dont mean it literally... but what im saying is we have waited a long time for this... and now that its here it doesnt seem like a huge improvement from mango

Want to know why? Because we are all a collection of functionally retarded idiots.

What did you expect? The new devices have three weeks of battery life, 36 cores, bring us coffee in bed while we have sex with super models?

We all have this long laundry list of what we were hoping what WP8 would bring, and anything short is a massive let down. Since getting our first Windows Phone we have been scouring the internet looking for clues as what the new version will bring, telling ourselves, "They're not telling us much, therefore it will blow our minds." It's ****ing ridiculous. So, many are turning elsewhere to find our elusive magical device - the one that will make all our dreams come true. I'm here to tell you, it doesn't exist.

Maybe Windows Phone 9 or 10 will fulfill our dreams and desires - but probably not.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
...heard that with WinMo 6.0, 6.1, 6.5 ,Windows Phone 7.0, 7.5, etc....I'm not depressed, but I'm not impressed either.

The ecosystem the company is creating with Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and the Xbox console is different than before. It's all in or nothing this round. Microsoft will surely pour countless bundles of cash into marketing, and Windows 8 / Xbox will push some consumers Windows Phone way for a complete Microsoft experience. That's the plan anyway.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Disappointed, I'm planning of switching to Android until the next wave of devices.

Dude! Don't do it, I had to use an android phone (HTC amaze) for a month while my WP was in warranty repair twice in a row!! Felt like whipping a stubborn donkey to do anything on that phone. When I got my WP7 back I felt FREEEEEE!:p

firstness

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Initially I was excited about WP8 and I even put in a reservation on Rogers for the Lumia 920. Then I began to look more closely at WP8 and I discovered missing features that are standard in the newer Android and iOS releases such as far superior voice support and a non-crippled browser (IE10 often gets served basic HTML versions of web sites). WP8 seems to be very locked down and the UI and apps are missing obvious settings/options. Based on how little the UI has evolved since WP7 I'm not holding out hope that my concerns will be addressed in the next release.

I recognize that WP8 may fulfill many people's needs perfectly, but the whole experience reminds me too much of the iPhone where you either do it Apple's way or not at all. This time it's Microsoft who's "crafting" my smartphone experience.

I cancelled my Lumia 920 preorder and I'll be picking up a Nexus 4 when it comes out. Competition and innovation is a good thing for everyone and I wish Microsoft success. If WP continues to improve I might end up switching back.

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
i personally am not that impressed with windows phone 8... sure it looks great, and there are some great improvements... but being that it is a 3 year old OS now, i still feel app selection is way too small, marketshare is not growing very fast, and its just not taking off like i expected it to. it seems as if MS is in a constant transtioning phase, and people are always waiting for the next update.

with all the silence, i honestly expected more? what was the big secret? kids corner?

plus the surface isnt getting great reviews either... hardware is lovely but the software seems buggy.

i think i am going to pass on the 1st generation of windows phone 8 devices.... it still needs to mature... so i for one am a little depressed :blush:
I am super impressed by the software so far as I can see, but the hardware has been lack luster. On one end we have the 920 that has like 4~ revolutionary features (physical lens stabilization, NFC, wireless charging, sensitive touch screen) but only comes in one monster size. On the other end, we have samsaung and HTC which put out OK hardware but their hardware simply weighs more and is not as compact as the golden standard of modern phones; it already seems outdated.

It seems like there is 1 hardware maker missing: the one that was going to make a compact windows 8 phone to be used by people who need a tool for directions, texting, talking, etc but do not need to watch movies or whatever on their phones.

I wish that Nokia would have made 2 Lumias: the 920 and also a very small compact lumia that did not have all the extra features but instead was very compact (lighter/smaller than apples) and maybe had 1 feature of the 4, like just the camera stabilization and thats it.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I may have to take my own advice. Making opinions is fine, buy now he's just making statements just to get a rise out of people.

Pretty much. Some days i give him the attention that he thirsts for, but most days I don't notice him

Sent from something AMAZING using my pinkie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss