Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    i personally am not that impressed with windows phone 8... sure it looks great, and there are some great improvements... but being that it is a 3 year old OS now, i still feel app selection is way too small, marketshare is not growing very fast, and its just not taking off like i expected it to. it seems as if MS is in a constant transtioning phase, and people are always waiting for the next update.

with all the silence, i honestly expected more? what was the big secret? kids corner?

plus the surface isnt getting great reviews either... hardware is lovely but the software seems buggy.

i think i am going to pass on the 1st generation of windows phone 8 devices.... it still needs to mature... so i for one am a little depressed :blush:
    WP Central - Super Member
    Xbox Live GamerTag - Bear lx

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I'm just depressed that AT&T hasn't announced availability.
    vtective likes this.

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    For the first time ever, Microsoft is attempting to create a complete ecosystem, and WP8 is a brand new operating system. Give it some time.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Loving my Surface so far. Wishing the WP8 was out so I can enjoy the ecosystem even more. But not worth getting depressed over. Some people are just harder to please. The effect of the instant gratification.
    cckgz4 likes this.

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm1950 View Post
    For the first time ever, Microsoft is attempting to create a complete ecosystem, and WP8 is a brand new operating system. Give it some time.
    ...heard that with WinMo 6.0, 6.1, 6.5 ,Windows Phone 7.0, 7.5, etc....I'm not depressed, but I'm not impressed either.
    theefman and bear_lx like this.

Global Posts
    992 Global Posts
    I am happy with wp8. There was no shocking announcement or surprise, but what they delivered was enough. I wish the carriers were there to deliver the news they needed to release. I am up on contract, and my focus is getting overdue for replacement. My micro sd card crapped out on me, and now the power button sticks and the phone powers off instead of locking the screen. Ill definitely be going yo the at&t store to upgrade soon as I can.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    Loving my Surface so far. Wishing the WP8 was out so I can enjoy the ecosystem even more. But not worth getting depressed over. Some people are just harder to please. The effect of the instant gratification.
    i dont mean it literally... but what im saying is we have waited a long time for this... and now that its here it doesnt seem like a huge improvement from mango

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    it is enough for some, and im sure i would be content with an htc 8x... i just expected more is all.

and i havent persoanlly got a chance to play with one so i am going off reviews, and most of them are depressing too...

maybe i just need to go to my local verizon store come novemeber and try it out...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear lx View Post
    i dont mean it literally... but what im saying is we have waited a long time for this... and now that its here it doesnt seem like a huge improvement from mango
    Sprint was taking so long to get WP7, I couldn't wait and got the evo. Contract is up and just waiting now. So since I haven't had WP yet, and waited this long, a little more doesn't bother me. Might be different if I was a present user.

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm1950 View Post
    the kernel it runs on is different but it is the same OS as windows phone 7, lets not kid. a different start screen is the only visual difference.

going from windows mobile to windows 7 is a completely different OS, not this.
    Dr_8820 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Disappointed, I'm planning of switching to Android until the next wave of devices.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    Disappointed, I'm planning of switching to Android until the next wave of devices.
    I count the days.

A little of both. I like all the new features they have implemented. Some really cool features. A little disappointed in that WP8 is officially released and still now hardware to use them on. If they at least announced preorder available then I would be satisfied. But we didn't even get that. Can't wait for official word from AT&T. Until then, I will just have to twiddle my thumbs.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    Someone warn the android forum.

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    the kernel it runs on is different but it is the same OS as windows phone 7, lets not kid. a different start screen is the only visual difference.

Thank you. I'm so tired of the "this is a new OS" crap...it's the same OS, just running a different kernel, which is strange because you couldn't upgrade Winmo 6.5.3 to Windows Phone 7 because it was "different", yet everyone with an HD2 can run it....sounds like MS wants more beta testers for WP9.
    1jaxstate1 likes this.

I think too many people are looking at the little picture.

It's not just the phone's OS.

WP is just one part of a bigger highly integrated ecosystem, where content seamlessly moves with you no matter what MS powered device you're on.

The future is here. Many just recognize it yet.

:-)
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    I think too many people are looking at the little picture.

It's not just the phone's OS.

WP is just one part of a bigger highly integrated ecosystem, where content seamlessly moves with you no matter what MS powered device you're on.

The future is here. Many just recognize it yet.

:-)
    true, but this is what airplay has done quite well for some time now...

i think there is huge opportunity for MS with this change, but is it too late? or does the mass majority of users care what kernel there devices run on, or even know?
    im not sure yet... i feel like MS has a great product but has no clue how to market it, or how to present it... these last few events have been sloppy to say the least. no release dates, really?

true, but this is what airplay has done quite well for some time now...

i think there is huge opportunity for MS with this change, but is it too late? or does the mass majority of users care what kernel there devices run on, or even know?
    im not sure yet... i feel like MS has a great product but has no clue how to market it, or how to present it... these last few events have been sloppy to say the least. no release dates, really?
    Most people don't know what a kernel is, let alone care.

All it really means is that development for multiple platforms will be much much much easier. Same kernel. Same API base.

Theorhetically, anything that you can do with Windows 8 (for ARM), you should be able to do with Windows Phone. That includes it working with existing printers, keyboards, scanners, mice, etc...

Airplay is neat, but this will eventually reach a completely different level. The cloud has so much potential.

Heck, look at what they're doing with Skype. Skype will be running in the cloud. You're logged on in the cloud. That means that it's not using processor power or battery power on your device, but you're still logged in all the time. It doesn't have to run in the background.

We'll see stuff like this with other services. And I expect Skydrive to keep expanding in what it's capable of. I could see video game saves being stored on Skydrive, so that you can play on one XBOX and then go to someone else's XBOX and continue where you left off without a hiccup.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts

Maybe you should wait to actually use it before you review it.

This forum doesn't need two Winterfangs. One is too much already.
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 and rockstarzzz like this.

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Good idea, but I just bought a new laptop exactly a year ago running Windows 7....if I get a WP8 device, can't do the ecosystem thing :).

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Maybe you should wait to actually use it before you review it.

This forum doesn't need two Winterfangs. One is too much already.
    "and i havent persoanlly got a chance to play with one so i am going off reviews, and most of them are depressing too...

maybe i just need to go to my local verizon store come novemeber and try it out..."

agreed, and thats why i posted this... maybe you should read the entire thread before you comment

Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Most people don't know what a kernel is, let alone care.

All it really means is that development for multiple platforms will be much much much easier. Same kernel. Same API base.

Theorhetically, anything that you can do with Windows 8 (for ARM), you should be able to do with Windows Phone. That includes it working with existing printers, keyboards, scanners, mice, etc...
    Thanks that's me! :) I also have no clue what many things are that are discussed on here. SDK's being one of them.

I do know I'm excited about getting WP8 and a 920. I don't consider it a failed launch because it's easy to estimate how much it's going to cost and when it will be available. To me the launch starts when the phones are available not when they are announced. I can go to work tomorrow and ask 100 people what they thought of WP8 and I would guess 99 of them would look at me like I was from a different planet. There are many cool unique features to WP8 and the 920. How well MS, the hardware manufactures, & carriers sell them. Along with how well they work will determine the success of the launch and wether a year from now those same 100 people know what WP is. Not that a small number of people are pissed off because they don't have a release date.

If I was depressed about anything it would be all the whining and crying in the threads. But I actually find it comical that some adults act like 3 year olds.

You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you.― Wayne W. Dyer
    ;)
    Thanked by:
    rockstarzzz likes this.

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Your post calling adults 3 year olds because they want to have a discussion is what starts flamewars....if you don't like a thread or a post, why respond?

Global Posts
    2,090 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
    Thank you. I'm so tired of the "this is a new OS" crap...it's the same OS, just running a different kernel, which is strange because you couldn't upgrade Winmo 6.5.3 to Windows Phone 7 because it was "different", yet everyone with an HD2 can run it....sounds like MS wants more beta testers for WP9.
    Windows 6.5 ran the same kernel as WP7, and HD2's can run it probably because HTC just did the same thing themselves and called it the HD7.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
    Your post calling adults 3 year olds because they want to have a discussion is what starts flamewars....if you don't like a thread or a post, why respond?
    I wasn't referring to this thread. I was happy to learn what a kernel was. :) I don't respond in those threads that aren't discussions but are whining sessions. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you.― Wayne W. Dyer
    ;)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast