Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Yrral3215's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #26  
    I have Verizon and a new HTC 8X. I am NOT on an unlimited data plan. I called Verivon tonight to find out why I cant turn Internet Sharing on. They said I have tom pay for the extra sharing service before it will work on the phone.

    Doesnt the FCC ruling mean I should get tethering free??

    I didnt know about the FCC ruling until I was off the phone with them. Guess I need to call them back....
    Thanked by:
  2. Flagz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    851 Posts
    Global Posts
    969 Global Posts
    #27  
    Well you guys should feel lucky. I'm on tmobile and have 3 phones on a unlimited 4G plan and I can't tether even if pay. Tethering isn't an potion with an unlimited 4G plan, I would have to downgrade to 5GB plan for 10 dollars more on top of the fee to tether.
  3. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,233 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    #28  
    I have a 15GB plan with my local carrier using an unlocked rogers 920. Internet sharing works fine for me.
  4. pankaj981's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,378 Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagz View Post
    Well you guys should feel lucky. I'm on tmobile and have 3 phones on a unlimited 4G plan and I can't tether even if pay. Tethering isn't an potion with an unlimited 4G plan, I would have to downgrade to 5GB plan for 10 dollars more on top of the fee to tether.
    The irony is T-Mobile allows tethering on their prepaid 4g plans which works very well
  5. #30  
    I'm on Verizon with an 822 and a Family Shared Plan (6 GB between me and my wife - she uses about a gig on her Trophy, and I use the rest). I tether just fine. No Verizon Windows Phone has ever been hacked to make tethering work without them knowing it, that I'm aware of, or I'd have been doing it, but since Tango it was enabled in the Trophy, and that's when I switched to the shared plan from the unlimited. The question is do you really need the unlimited? Switching from what I had (something like 3 phones, one basic phone and two Trophies with unlimited data on a 1400 minute and unlimited text shared plan) to the shared plan with 6GB and unlimited minutes and text ended up saving me about $30 a month, I think (and I have a corporate discount). The only difference now is that at the end of my billing cycle, if I go over, I add an extra 2 gigs to the plan, which costs $10, rather than pay $15 for 1 gig of overage. Then at the start of the next month, I switch it back.

    So really, it's not worth all the whining, unless you're really a data hog - and I know that I use quite a bit - I tether a lot.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  6. #31  
    Oh, and by the way - getting that 20Mbps down and 10Mbps up on the LTE while tethering - now THAT is NICE! It's almost like being at home, except my laptop isn't connected to the extra 23" widescreen monitor so I'm restricted to a single screen.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    jleebiker likes this.
  7. ggonzalez777's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #32  
    Any word on the APN trick for the tethering? I have the nl 920 would like to try it out.
  8. Flagz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    851 Posts
    Global Posts
    969 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by pankaj981 View Post
    The irony is T-Mobile allows tethering on their prepaid 4g plans which works very well
    Yes, but 4G Prepaid is only 500mb of 4G then it drops to Edge just like the 2GB and 5GB plans drop to edge after you reach the respective limits. I'm on the truly unlimited (currently at 13GB of data used this month) and they said if they allowed Unlimited 4G and Tethering, people would use it as home internet >_>
    - Gamertag -
    the teams Flag


    www.FLAGZ.net
    @FlagzTV
  9. pankaj981's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,378 Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagz View Post
    Yes, but 4G Prepaid is only 500mb of 4G then it drops to Edge just like the 2GB and 5GB plans drop to edge after you reach the respective limits. I'm on the truly unlimited (currently at 13GB of data used this month) and they said if they allowed Unlimited 4G and Tethering, people would use it as home internet >_>
    Its not 500mb, it 100mb for 50, 2gb for 60 and 5gb for something...i can't recollect now.
  10. tmotytn's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggonzalez777 View Post
    Any word on the APN trick for the tethering? I have the nl 920 would like to try it out.
    I just followed the link over to the other thread to check it out, but it looks like those of us on the Death Star are out of luck--looks like it is specific to VZW devices.
  11. Flagz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    851 Posts
    Global Posts
    969 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by pankaj981 View Post
    Its not 500mb, it 100mb for 50, 2gb for 60 and 5gb for something...i can't recollect now.
    Still for all the people like me (internet hog) then that isn't good enough.
    - Gamertag -
    the teams Flag


    www.FLAGZ.net
    @FlagzTV
  12. ggonzalez777's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by tmotytn View Post
    I just followed the link over to the other thread to check it out, but it looks like those of us on the Death Star are out of luck--looks like it is specific to VZW devices.
    That sucks.
  13. OMGbrandon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #38  
    Any work around for att 920s?
  14. #39  
    I had tethering on my HD7, now I can't activate on,my 8X. I have unlimited data but rarely use tethering, when I do it typically not on 4G since I would be out in the middle of nowhere, this just sucks very disappointed in T-Mobile.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    [IMG][/IMG]
  15. Dmoola's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #40  
    i'm on 8x with unlimited and attempted to edit the DUN NAI field in the settings but the profile screen is mostly locked out and can't be edited.
  16. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGx View Post
    Carriers are dirtbags for charging for this
    that sums up my feelings about carriers. Where I live the feds held a long meeting all week to chew out the carriers for their gouging practices, I hope some good comes out of it. I hope the Rogers family, Bell and all the others got stomped hard.
  17. Guzzler3's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    924 Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagz View Post
    Yes, but 4G Prepaid is only 500mb of 4G then it drops to Edge just like the 2GB and 5GB plans drop to edge after you reach the respective limits. I'm on the truly unlimited (currently at 13GB of data used this month) and they said if they allowed Unlimited 4G and Tethering, people would use it as home internet >_>
    Well there is the $30 prepaid of unlimited data/text, with only 100min of talk, you can add tethering for $10 extra, and it's really unlimited with no cap. What really sucks is that I've found that if you have certain Android phones, they allow free tethering. WTFrak!!! The whole wireless industry is nothing but double standards.
    Guz

    iPhone 3G (broken)
    Blackberry 6320 (retired)
    Lumia 810 (current)
  18. Stefan L's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #43  
    Unlocked phones does not work any longer. Tethering is blocked when you insert an ATT SIM or any of the MVNOs in WP8 or iOS devices... Like in iOS a carrier profile is applied, I sold the Nokia 920. This is unheard of in Europe. Really difficult to understand people that argue that the carriers should be allowed to charge for this, that is charge again to use the data you already paid for.
    So I am back to using a narrow screen iphone 5 where there are jailbreak apps that restore the functionality that is taken away when you insert an ATT SIM.

    Nokia is selling the 920 in Europe with sharing for up to 8 units but no mentioning that they reserve the right to disable it should you cross the wrong border... False marketing...
  19. Narse77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    550 Posts
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    #44  
    Nokia has nothing to do with it, blame the carriers. That said I am ok that unlimited users have to pay for tethering. I know for a fact that many people would use LTE as their sole internet and the networks can't handle that currently. It would kill everyone's total bandwidth. I would rather keep my 25mbs down and 10mbs up LTE nice and fast. I switched to a family share plan and it actually dropped my bill 20 dollars. Have 10gb for four lines and couldn't be happier.
  20. Stefan L's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #45  
    Nokia, Apple and the vendors have everything to do with this. The went one step to far when they allow the operator to dictate what features are available on full price "unlocked" devices. (Well there are no fully unlocked devices any longer on WP8 or iOS, they lock functionality depending on what SIM you put in.)

    To "semi brick" the devices when a certain SIM is put in just because the carriers have not figured out how to throttle or charge for data is ridiculous.
    It is also worth noting that;
    1. We already overpay for service in the US
    2. LTE is almost twice as fast in Europe, 35 to 60 mb (As with previous technologies the US gets only half the speed)
    3. This is more or less only a US problem as no decent carrier would come up with the idea to charge extra for the data just because it is used outside the device itself.

    Basically we get twice the cost or more and half the speed here in the US.

    International Herald Tribune
    According to the study, Verizon Wireless...charges $7.50 for each gigabyte. ... more than 10 times what consumers pay in Sweden. ... Having a data-only plan...would reduce the per-gigabyte charge at Verizon Wireless to $5.50.

    See
    Why American LTE Costs Far More than in Europe - Input Output
    OpenSignal - The State of LTE
  21. Nimdock's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    660 Posts
    #46  
    I am OK with unlimited users having to pay for tethering.

    I am not OK with paying for 3GB of transfer data and now being able to use that data however the **** I want.
  22. ibuyufo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimdock View Post
    I am OK with unlimited users having to pay for tethering.

    I am not OK with paying for 3GB of transfer data and now being able to use that data however the **** I want.
    Why?
  23. Nimdock's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    660 Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by ibuyufo View Post
    Why?
    OK... I think I know why you are asking... It is not that I agree entirely with charging tethering to people that are on unlimited... But maybe I should have said I do see why do it. It is those people that tend to abuse it, overload the servers, and ruin it for everyone. I remember people having the nerve to proudly proclaim how they canceled their home internet and are using unpaid tethering for their home as a replacement raking hundreds of GBs in data transfer. Cell phone networks are just not equipped (at least at this point) to handle that kind of load and we end up with a lot of people unhappy with their service. So in principle I am not as opposed in that scenario. You may not agree with that and I don't really intend to argue my case in favor of it.

    But if you are already limited and have a specific amount you can use... Why do they care how someone uses their allotted data?
  24. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,818 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimdock View Post
    OK... I think I know why you are asking... It is not that I agree entirely with charging tethering to people that are on unlimited... But maybe I should have said I do see why do it. It is those people that tend to abuse it, overload the servers, and ruin it for everyone. I remember people having the nerve to proudly proclaim how they canceled their home internet and are using unpaid tethering for their home as a replacement raking hundreds of GBs in data transfer. Cell phone networks are just not equipped (at least at this point) to handle that kind of load and we end up with a lot of people unhappy with their service. So in principle I am not as opposed in that scenario. You may not agree with that and I don't really intend to argue my case in favor of it.

    But if you are already limited and have a specific amount you can use... Why do they care how someone uses their allotted data?
    However with Three in the UK, you get unlimited data and you can do whatever the heck you want with it. Heck, you could power a supercomputer with it... And they wouldn't care. Apparently they're doing the same with their 4G. 25/mth for unlimited 3G or 4G depending on if the smartphone supports 4G, tethering included. Wish my NL920 wasn't EE-locked but oh well :(

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  25. Nimdock's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    660 Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    However with Three in the UK, you get unlimited data and you can do whatever the heck you want with it. Heck, you could power a supercomputer with it... And they wouldn't care. Apparently they're doing the same with their 4G. 25/mth for unlimited 3G or 4G depending on if the smartphone supports 4G, tethering included. Wish my NL920 wasn't EE-locked but oh well :(
    Carriers in the US definitely abuse us but I don't see it changing. :(
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions