Free WP8 Internet Sharing/WiFi Tethering?

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
People don't want to pay for tethering.

Solution: Family share plans that include tethering.

People don't like family share plans.

There's always something to complain about.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Ah but the question is can you do it on WP8? I might just go to a verizon store and mess around with an 8x to see if it lets me tether...
I'm almost 100% sure that it will.It's a pretty universal hack that works on Android phones too. Not sure about iPhone but I wouldn't be surprised about that either.

apocacrux

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Rogers in Canada and have used tethering on both Android and now my 920 and haven't been charged for it. Must be an American thing.

Yrral3215

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have Verizon and a new HTC 8X. I am NOT on an unlimited data plan. I called Verivon tonight to find out why I cant turn Internet Sharing on. They said I have tom pay for the extra sharing service before it will work on the phone.

Doesnt the FCC ruling mean I should get tethering free??

I didnt know about the FCC ruling until I was off the phone with them. Guess I need to call them back....

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Well you guys should feel lucky. I'm on tmobile and have 3 phones on a unlimited 4G plan and I can't tether even if pay. Tethering isn't an potion with an unlimited 4G plan, I would have to downgrade to 5GB plan for 10 dollars more on top of the fee to tether.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well you guys should feel lucky. I'm on tmobile and have 3 phones on a unlimited 4G plan and I can't tether even if pay. Tethering isn't an potion with an unlimited 4G plan, I would have to downgrade to 5GB plan for 10 dollars more on top of the fee to tether.

The irony is T-Mobile allows tethering on their prepaid 4g plans which works very well

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon with an 822 and a Family Shared Plan (6 GB between me and my wife - she uses about a gig on her Trophy, and I use the rest). I tether just fine. No Verizon Windows Phone has ever been hacked to make tethering work without them knowing it, that I'm aware of, or I'd have been doing it, but since Tango it was enabled in the Trophy, and that's when I switched to the shared plan from the unlimited. The question is do you really need the unlimited? Switching from what I had (something like 3 phones, one basic phone and two Trophies with unlimited data on a 1400 minute and unlimited text shared plan) to the shared plan with 6GB and unlimited minutes and text ended up saving me about $30 a month, I think (and I have a corporate discount). The only difference now is that at the end of my billing cycle, if I go over, I add an extra 2 gigs to the plan, which costs $10, rather than pay $15 for 1 gig of overage. Then at the start of the next month, I switch it back.

So really, it's not worth all the whining, unless you're really a data hog - and I know that I use quite a bit - I tether a lot.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and by the way - getting that 20Mbps down and 10Mbps up on the LTE while tethering - now THAT is NICE! It's almost like being at home, except my laptop isn't connected to the extra 23" widescreen monitor so I'm restricted to a single screen.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The irony is T-Mobile allows tethering on their prepaid 4g plans which works very well
Yes, but 4G Prepaid is only 500mb of 4G then it drops to Edge just like the 2GB and 5GB plans drop to edge after you reach the respective limits. I'm on the truly unlimited (currently at 13GB of data used this month) and they said if they allowed Unlimited 4G and Tethering, people would use it as home internet >_>

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but 4G Prepaid is only 500mb of 4G then it drops to Edge just like the 2GB and 5GB plans drop to edge after you reach the respective limits. I'm on the truly unlimited (currently at 13GB of data used this month) and they said if they allowed Unlimited 4G and Tethering, people would use it as home internet >_>
Its not 500mb, it 100mb for 50, 2gb for 60 and 5gb for something...i can't recollect now.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Any word on the APN trick for the tethering? I have the nl 920 would like to try it out.

I just followed the link over to the other thread to check it out, but it looks like those of us on the Death Star are out of luck--looks like it is specific to VZW devices.

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I had tethering on my HD7, now I can't activate on,my 8X. I have unlimited data but rarely use tethering, when I do it typically not on 4G since I would be out in the middle of nowhere, this just sucks very disappointed in T-Mobile.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Dmoola

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
i'm on 8x with unlimited and attempted to edit the DUN NAI field in the settings but the profile screen is mostly locked out and can't be edited.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro