Anything new with Email?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I heard MS did nothing to improve the calendar which annoys me, but what about email? Its very lack luster and could use some improvements and new features. Has there been any word on this?

gfunk84

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Strangely enough only for the inbox-view. Messageview and typing is still in white for some odd reason.

It's because email is typically formatted using HTML, which has color information embedded (either inline, or using CSS). Changing the background to black would result in things like black text on a black background.

Sure, they could detect black text and change it to white, but it quickly gets complicated with colors that are dark or almost black and especially once background colors or images are considered. The development/benefit trade-off just isn't worth it.

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
What I want to see is full support for Outlook.com's aliases. Is that in WP8?

Not yet. This is something that needs to be fixed on the outlook.com side and one of their engineer's had said they are working on it. It comes down to outlook.com using ActiveSync instead of IMAP like Gmail. Just like any other Exchange environment you can only send emails from the primary address. Though you are able to send from the aliases from the website itself.

Anyway, the work around right now is to add a separate mail account on your phone connecting to outlook.com via POP. This will allow you to go into that separate account and send emails from your alias. Not great but better than nothing until they add this feature.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
What types of email features are you looking for?

How about proper Exchange sync where changes (deleted, mark as read, etc) sync back to the server immediately? This was abysmal in Windows Phone 7 and it works perfectly on the Surface, which gives me some hope that they fixed it in WP8.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
How about proper Exchange sync where changes (deleted, mark as read, etc) sync back to the server immediately? This was abysmal in Windows Phone 7 and it works perfectly on the Surface, which gives me some hope that they fixed it in WP8.
Thanks for bringing this up. I delete emails from my WP7 and hit refresh. But when I check my email on the website, they are still there. This is Yahoo Mail, btw.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
What about the WP8 email composer?

Has anything new turned up in the e-mail composer?

- Is there support for rich text elements like bold, italic, underline etc?
- Can you change the Font / Font size?
- Does the editor suggest alternatives for incorrect words underlined in red?
- Can you add bullet points or numbered lists?
- From within the e-mail composer, can you attach more than just pictures (I know you can use other first-party apps to share stuff using e-mail.)

STM 69

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Best thread I could find for this. I've noticed that when I receive emails, all images are disabled. I have to click in the message each time to see any images within. Is there any way to adjust my security settings somewhere to turn this off? Really annoying...

Thx

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Best thread I could find for this. I've noticed that when I receive emails, all images are disabled. I have to click in the message each time to see any images within. Is there any way to adjust my security settings somewhere to turn this off? Really annoying...

Thx

I couldnt find any. The email on WP8 is pretty basic really. Id love to be able to just allow images as well, as im pretty safe on what emails Ill even bother opening.

tibere86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have my Gmail account setup but I have noticed when I get a new email and open it up on my Nokia 920, it does not clear the new mail flag in Gmail. Meaning when I go to Gmail using my laptop, the new email flag is still active.

associatedpress

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Has anything new turned up in the e-mail composer?

- Is there support for rich text elements like bold, italic, underline etc?

- Can you change the Font / Font size?

- Does the editor suggest alternatives for incorrect words underlined in red?

- Can you add bullet points or numbered lists?

- From within the e-mail composer, can you attach more than just pictures (I know you can use other first-party apps to share stuff using e-mail.)

None of the above is possible . Just checked on my Lumia 920. Interesting considering IOS 6 has some of the festures you're requesting. I see but never use them on my iPad. Would have expected them to be in WP8.

associatedpress

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Clarification. Not all of the above is impossible. Something with a red squiggly line, if you select it, you get alternate options above the keyboard next to the clipboard/copy paste section. No rich text, only images can be added from within composer, no bullet or number layouts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss