Nokia ads for the L920 - THIS IS LUMIA!

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Saw that this morning at the cinema.

Adverts all around my local town centre, and my local phones4u has adverts for the 920 everywhere.

The adverts blitz has started.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Steve said that we won't wake up an open a newspaper, tune in to a radio or put on a TV show without noticing Windows on there. I won't be surprised if I see Lumia themed Christmas gift wraps in my local supermarkets :p

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea, Windows was ALLLLL over the World Series. Before every game there was a personal interview that was brought to you by Windows Phone and most of the segments within the game itself were brought to you by Windows 8.

My parents came for a vacation and my mom was saying she didn't like the commercials because they didn't tell her how to do anything on the new computer...and she just got done learning Win7 and didn't want to change.

The reason I bring that up, these commercials do a great job of getting bits and pieces of the phone out, how some things work, features it has, but ALSO moves around enough to keep up with the ADD world of today.

I like them.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My parents came for a vacation and my mom was saying she didn't like the commercials because they didn't tell her how to do anything on the new computer...and she just got done learning Win7 and didn't want to change.

The reason I bring that up, these commercials do a great job of getting bits and pieces of the phone out, how some things work, features it has, but ALSO moves around enough to keep up with the ADD world of today.

I like them.

That's unfortunate that she just learned Win7, but the purpose of a commercial isn't supposed to teach you how to use it, especially not something so complex as an OS. They're just there to sell sell sell. There will be countless teaching resources online to learn from :cool:.

I like these adds as well, they seem to get the product out there and the people in them seem genuine.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
That's unfortunate that she just learned Win7, but the purpose of a commercial isn't supposed to teach you how to use it, especially not something so complex as an OS. They're just there to sell sell sell. There will be countless teaching resources online to learn from :cool:.

I like these adds as well, they seem to get the product out there and the people in them seem genuine.

It was mostly the Surface ads...there is nothing in there that shows you ANY features AT ALL. She said something about how she wanted to actually learn something about the computer (My mom calls all tablets, including her Asus Transformer, "computers". Their desktop is just her "big computer"). I told her that is just the way the current market is trending, that the ads need to have something about them that helps push them towards a "viral" status. It's more just about name recognition than it is about learning facts/features...the old "I'm a PC and I made Windows 7" commercials didn't cut it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Can you not just put her in desktop mode and tell her - there that's your Windows 7 and then show her how to go back by hitting "invisible start" button and then all tiles are new Start menu. If she wants to look for a program, once she is in start menu she just needs to start typing what she wants to open. This is how I explained to my Grand dad and it only took him 2 hours and now he feels like he is a pro at this! :p

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Saw that this morning at the cinema.

Adverts all around my local town centre, and my local phones4u has adverts for the 920 everywhere.

The adverts blitz has started.

I haven't seen one d@mned ad for Windows Phone 8 yet. However, I have seen plenty for Windows 8 and Surface.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you not just put her in desktop mode and tell her - there that's your Windows 7 and then show her how to go back by hitting "invisible start" button and then all tiles are new Start menu. If she wants to look for a program, once she is in start menu she just needs to start typing what she wants to open. This is how I explained to my Grand dad and it only took him 2 hours and now he feels like he is a pro at this! :p

Ohh, it's not that we couldn't try. If I wanted to spend the cash I'd just install it, she'd learn it in a day and be good from there. She is just adverse to change (as most are...) so when the change isn't NEEDED...there really is no point.

That's what MS needs to really push with all their ads this holiday...its new, different and in a good way! I did a hands on of Win8 this weekend and learned the basics of the OS in 20 minutes. The main issue with Win8 and thus WinPhone 8 is that this is the 1st time you are asking people to learn a NEW way to use Windows since Windows 95.

You should have seen her (well, heard, she'd call me for help) when she retired. At her school they had Macs, so all of a sudden there were TWO mouse buttons on her home computer!!! *GASP*! That threw her for a loop for weeks as she'd always click near the center of the mouse so it was a coin flip if she was going to hit Right or Left.

Wow...got off topic fast there, haha. I went back and threw in some commercial stuff to keep it a little more OnTopic. :D

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, Nokia, I am sold.

How much is it? Oh you cannot say?

Is it on my carrier? Oh, it isn't?

Where can I buy? Oh, nowhere yet?

When can I buy? Oh, "in the coming months."

Gotcha. :p

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I am sure AT&T has a lot for customers than other carriers in the USA, why else would it be exclusive? Or it is that they are richer than anyone else like EE in the UK?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I love the end of the ads. XD
I do, too! Man, I miss that Nokia ringtone. It's still there on Windows Phones, right?

My mom calls all tablets, including her Asus Transformer, "computers". Their desktop is just her "big computer".
Your mom is technically right about that ;). They're all computers with different interfaces and form factors.

...the old "I'm a PC and I made Windows 7" commercials didn't cut it.
They really didn't. Windows 7 was a success because 1) It was/is a really good OS, 2) Vista was a train wreck in mind share and reality; people wanted to move past Vista ASAP and 3) computers shipped with Windows 7 after its launch so what options did people have? ;)

I haven't seen one d@mned ad for Windows Phone 8 yet. However, I have seen plenty for Windows 8 and Surface.
I don't think TV commercials for WP8 are on the air, yet. At least not in the US. I guess you can't have commercials for phones that you can't buy, yet :p.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel