Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I really want to get a new Windows Phone 8, but there is one feature of the iPhone that is a must have and I don't think it is present on the WP8 platform.

I listen to a lot of podcasts and having a set of earphones that has a remote button that I can use to pause the podcast (and volume up/down) is just a feature that I cannot do without. Can I use this type of earphone on a Windows Phone 8 device?

Why not?
    Does Apple have some kind of a patent it won't license to anyone else?
    Finally, is there some alternative that can make me not miss this ability?

Thanks,
    Rob
    These kind of earphones are present since the launch of first WP i.e. Windows Phone 7. I use this for my Titan AND Lumia.

Welcome to WPC.

Well these worked for Windows Phone 7. They were the first pair to come up when I searched for this, so I would assume that a) other pairs also exist that may be a little more in line with your style designs and b) they will still work for WP8.

Windows Phone Accessory Review: LG HBS-700 BT Headset | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews
    Most headsets in the box are with mic and remote!
    There are alot that don't work though. Beats headphones will only kinds work. The play/pause button works but the volume rockers will not.
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I have tried a set of Altec and Scosche earphones (made for iPhone) with a Lumia 900 running WP 7.5. The microphone does not work, the volume controls do not work. Holding the button will invoke the WP talk interface, but it cannot hear my commands. Pressing the button does not pause music.

The earphones included did not have these features.

So, are there brands of earphones that do work with WP7/WP8 that are not Bluetooth? Just simple in-ear earphones with the remote on the cord?

AND VERY IMPORTANT: Will pressing the button pause the playing music/podcast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cannon View Post
    I have tried a set of Altec and Scosche earphones (made for iPhone) with a Lumia 900 running WP 7.5. The microphone does not work, the volume controls do not work. Holding the button will invoke the WP talk interface, but it cannot hear my commands. Pressing the button does not pause music.

The earphones included did not have these features.

So, are there brands of earphones that do work with WP7/WP8 that are not Bluetooth? Just simple in-ear earphones with the remote on the cord?

AND VERY IMPORTANT: Will pressing the button pause the playing music/podcast?
    yes.. but that is the only working function from my experience.
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT

the in-box earbuds for my Samsung Focus does this exact thing and works perfectly.
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.