Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brmiller1976
  1. gravage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    481 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have the Surface RT and the Exchange Mail on it is perfect. Changes sync back to the server immediately, the way they're supposed to, including deleted, marked as read, etc.

    This was abysmal on Windows Phone 7. It was a gimped version of Exchange, receiving mail immediately, but taking up to 15 minutes to sync changes back.

    Do we have any idea if the mail client in Windows Phone 8 will work the same way as the one on the Surface? Given that they are based on the same kernel, I would hope it would be. I'd love to give Windows Phone another try, but I can't deal with gimped exchange mail.
  2. ramrandhawa's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by gravage View Post
    I have the Surface RT and the Exchange Mail on it is perfect. Changes sync back to the server immediately, the way they're supposed to, including deleted, marked as read, etc.

    This was abysmal on Windows Phone 7. It was a gimped version of Exchange, receiving mail immediately, but taking up to 15 minutes to sync changes back.

    Do we have any idea if the mail client in Windows Phone 8 will work the same way as the one on the Surface? Given that they are based on the same kernel, I would hope it would be. I'd love to give Windows Phone another try, but I can't deal with gimped exchange mail.
    No, but I think this is by design to save battery life -- whenever I've done a bunch of mail browsing / sorting to folders, I just hit the sync button at the bottom and everything is synced immediately.
  3. gravage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    481 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ramrandhawa View Post
    No, but I think this is by design to save battery life -- whenever I've done a bunch of mail browsing / sorting to folders, I just hit the sync button at the bottom and everything is synced immediately.
    Funny. The iPhone syncs changes back immediately and battery life is fine. The same goes for the GS III.
  4. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    969 Posts
    #4  
    Isn't there an option for syncing, which tells the phone when to do it?

    Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
  5. ramrandhawa's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    #5  
    @gravage: Huh . . . got me then, no idea why you have to press the sync button to make it sync right away . . . trying it just now, marking some messages as read and then not manually pressing the sync button, it took five minutes to sync to Exchange (changed at 11:07pm, synced at 11:12pm).

    @SnailUK: no, the syncing option allows you to set when to download new content; it seems to me that if it is set to download "as items arrive", it takes five minutes to sync changes you make on the phone back up to the server, unless you press the sync button
  6. gravage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    481 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Isn't there an option for syncing, which tells the phone when to do it?

    Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
    Nope. Not on Windows Phone 7. You can set intervals, but it has no effect on when changes are synced back to the server. Push is broken.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. gravage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    481 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ramrandhawa View Post
    @gravage: Huh . . . got me then, no idea why you have to press the sync button to make it sync right away . . . trying it just now, marking some messages as read and then not manually pressing the sync button, it took five minutes to sync to Exchange (changed at 11:07pm, synced at 11:12pm).

    @SnailUK: no, the syncing option allows you to set when to download new content; it seems to me that if it is set to download "as items arrive", it takes five minutes to sync changes you make on the phone back up to the server, unless you press the sync button
    5 minutes is fast. I have seen it take 15 minutes. I think it's based on when you receive new mail. Regardless, it should be instant.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gravage View Post
    Funny. The iPhone syncs changes back immediately and battery life is fine. The same goes for the GS III.
    My GS3 takes over 30 minutes to sync changes back to the server.
  9. gravage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    481 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    My GS3 takes over 30 minutes to sync changes back to the server.
    Then your phone isn't working correctly, or you have a setting wrong.
  10. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #10  
    My phone definitely doesn't run correctly. It has the world's crappiest smartphone OS on it. :D
    aubreyq likes this.

Posting Permissions