Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Global Posts
    842 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by david376 View Post
    Odd, I have owned several android devices in the past and i find that typing on my lumia 710 (3.7 inch screen) is far easier and more accurate then any of my android phones. If i may ask, do you type one-handed?
    I always type both both the hands. Even with my previous N900 which had QWERTY keyboard I always happened to type with both the hands. I never do dialing and typing single handedly. Two hand typing makes it 4 times faster
    (Gaming Rig)
    CPU............................Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Mobo....................................ASUS P5Q Pro
    RAM.............................4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    HDD................................WD 6400AAKS HDD
    GPU............................MSI Cyclone GTX 460
    PSU..............................Corsair 650TX 650W
    Case..............................................CM 690
    Display...................Dell SP2208WFP (22 inch)
    O.S.........................Windows 7 Ultimatum 64

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    The update that fixed the disappearing keyboard bug also fixed the accuracy back to Nodo standards. My heart goes out to ATT users still having to deal with this issue...
    Is that so? Where is that documented? I think it was 8107 that fixed the disappearing keyboard. Maybe I'll put that on my Focus using the workaround.

In general, I love typing on my Windows Phone (Samsung Focus). However, one thing I have noticed is that certain words refuse to be formed without autocorrect. For example, typing the word 'good' on my phone was impossible at normal speed. I know there is a key resizing algorithm in the WP keyboard that is supposed to predictively resize the hitboxes of certain letters depending on the predicted word. I believe the mistype mentioned above is a result of a glitch in this algorithm. I type g-o-o-s and it then autocorrects it to 'good'. Frustrated, I delete the word and try again slower, deliberately hitting the center of the 'd' key. Nope, it registers an s. Only if I pause before hitting the 'd' and use my pointer finger rather than my thumb can I get it to correctly register the 'd'. Very frustrating. I've noticed this on several other letter combinations that I can't recall at the moment. But with a word as common as 'good' it get really old really fast.

Anybody else notice this glitch before?
    I am with all those that feel like typing on WP is fine. That said, I am ALWAYS all about options. Giving users the ability to install their own keyboards would be phenomenal. MS can continue to develop their own keyboard, but if there are technologies out there that people want (swype falls into that category for me), let them have it!

I hate to say it, but I think Apple's influence in these regards has been a bad one. They have shown others what they can get away with, and I feel like WP is just as bad as iOS in terms of openness (or lack thereof).

Quote Originally Posted by thongvua View Post
    Exactly, why is it Android and Iphone with smaller screen size is easier to type than WP with huge screen size? Isn't this the top priority when designing touch OS? How hard is it for a $200 Billion cap, No.1 software company in the world to get the KB design right for it's OS? And if MSFT really is incapable of designing a usable keyboard then they should open up for SWIPE or other 3rd party dev to get the job done correctly.

I have 2 friends who actually put away their WP just because they can not live with the keyboard. MSFT will have to give an answer for this issue!

Sorry for sounding frustrating but I am.
    I am UTTERLY SURPRISED to hear anyone complain about WPs keyboard. Its the best I've ever used and other top reviewers have echoed this statement as well. Maybe you need to be more open minded in your approach to using it. I won't mind if they did open access to 3rd party keyboards though. I've had swype ever since Windows Mobile and I still prefer WPs keyboard.

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    WP keyboards are amazing. You just need to get used to it. I find it extremely easier to type on my WP comparing to my brother's Samsung galaxy and my friends iPhones. Auto correct is also much much better and way accurate.

Ive always thought the WP keyboard was streets ahead of the others. Finding the 8X a bit hard to adapt to, keep hitting the emoticon key instead of the comma - think its the difference in size between the width of the Titan and 8X.

I love the WP7.5 keyboard on my HTC Titan I. It works quite well. The only issues I'm encountering is a dedicated number pad option and mispressing i and o. Oh, and perhaps an improvement can be made on autocorrect, sometimes a word is corrected wrongly.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    I am, in fact serious. I can't remember where I read it, as it was over a year ago... Trying to find the link now, sadly, would be needle in haystack.

Also, the thud made me think sarcasm but I assumed genuine surprise based on the lack of /s or :/.
    Yes, it was indeed genuine surprise. When I use *thud* I am flabbergasted of something I was not aware of. Or something went epically wrong.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thongvua View Post
    It seems many people prefer WP keyboard thanks to its auto-correct feature. Which means you can make typo but the OS correct it fine.
    This is two separate issues to me. How about a keyboard designed so well that we make minimum typo, and those seldom chances that we do the OS correct the typo just fine?
    I make many more mistakes with my 4.3" WP8 than my 3.7" WM6.5 with Swype.
    I will agree that the autocorrect is pretty good.
    I'd just rather not have to use it, so much.
    JJ

Global Posts
    1,716 Global Posts
    It's a major issue because you don't like the keyboard?

Well, I prefer the WP8 keyboard to the keyboard on both the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Captivate I had. I declare it NOT a major issue.
    HeyCori and shinygerbil like this.

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    One thing that I thought was odd...
    We have the ability to voice dictate with search, text, and e-mail, but not other text boxes.
    I thought dictation was a function of the keyboard and not the operating system.
    It would be nice for it to be a part of the keyboard, so that it works everywhere the keyboard works.
    JJ

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    There's nothing wrong with the kb. The disappearance at times, was fixed. It works great for me! Fix the blasted music app!
    When all else fails empty the magazine...

Coming from an HTC Thunderbolt, I love the WP8 keyboard. Works really well for me. My only wish is that I want to be able to store new words in the dictionary but that's a minor thing.

I have actually found that the WP keyboard on my 920 is far superior to the keyboard on my iPhone 3gs. No comparison.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703 View Post
    Coming from an HTC Thunderbolt, I love the WP8 keyboard. Works really well for me. My only wish is that I want to be able to store new words in the dictionary but that's a minor thing.
    You can add words to your ddictionary. Tap the word and above the keyboard where it gives suggestions it'll have what you typed with a plus next to it. Tap that and the word is added.

I,keep,hitting,the,damn,comma. Seriously, about every tenth space is a comma. I'm coming from Android & iPhone, so perhaps it will improve.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,304 Global Posts
    Sorry, no problems over here. IMO, a much better typing experience than any of the older iPhones.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    I love WP8 keyboard and its predictive words. Type few letters for the word, the predictive words appeared then tap and your done. What, i like it much better than my iPhone 4.

It took me about a week to get used to coming from a physical keyboard. Now I love it. My wife just got an iPhone 5 and I can't stand the keyboard. I love that WP shows lower case when I'm using lowercase.

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by odin09 View Post
    It took me about a week to get used to coming from a physical keyboard. Now I love it. My wife just got an iPhone 5 and I can't stand the keyboard. I love that WP shows lower case when I'm using lowercase.
    Amen to that.
    JJ

The keyboard is fantastic. Has been since WP7. I could type at full speed on my HD7 and be confident that autocorrect would work when I needed it; the only issue was punctuation automatically having a space after an autocorrected word. Now they've fixed that in WP8, the keyboard is even better.

It took me about a week to get up to full speed on the slimmer 8X, but now I type just as fast as before - if not faster.

Well, all except for one niggle..........WP8 KEYBOARD Y U NO CAPITALISE MY 'I' EVER EVER?! I'm fed up with typing an i and having it not capitalised. In fact, in that last sentence (and this one too) i had to go back and force the i to be lowercase because IE10 in W8 autocapitalises it. MICROSOFT, NO! I AM A PERSON WHO ACTUALLY WANTS TO USE CORRECT GRAMMAR ON OCCASION. DON'T PUNISH ME

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I've never typed on a iPhone or Android (I go all the way back to the first AT&T Windows Mobile phones), but I must say that i"m having a much harder time typing on my 8X than I had on my Titan. Which I attribute (right or wrong?) to the smaller screen size of the 8X. I can't tell you how many times I've hit the "speak" button when typing an email, and I'm over 2 weeks with my 8X.

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Wasn't there some talk about WP8 having a "thumb-friendly" keyboard option? It was in the shape of a quarter circle or something... whatever happened to that?
    http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/story/...2-12-43-34.png
    I've noticed that the Windows Phone keyboard has only changed slightly from Windows Phone 7... What a BLESSING. There wasn't much to improve upon, and I still feel the same. Best keyboard there is.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast