Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By aalex
  • 1 Post By TJWINS
  • 1 Post By a5cent
  • 1 Post By aubreyq

Hi Group,

I own a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone but am considering the switch to Windows 8 phone. I just bought a Surface RT and am quite impressed with it. So much so I am considering the phone next.

For those that already own a Windows phone, can you answer me this simple question? In your phone's version of the AppStore, do you have a stock trading app for TDAmeritrade? I have had it in iOS and GooglePlay, but I have no idea if it exists in the Windows AppStore. I don't see it in the Surface RT store at all.

Next question:

I am interested in the Lumia 920 from Nokia. I am on AT&T already and I understand it should be coming to AT&T. Does anyone have any idea when it is coming to AT&T?

Last Question:

Is the Lumia 920 the phone to get or is there an even better phone?

Thanks,

Alex

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aalex View Post
    Hi Group,

I own a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone but am considering the switch to Windows 8 phone. I just bought a Surface RT and am quite impressed with it. So much so I am considering the phone next.

For those that already own a Windows phone, can you answer me this simple question? In your phone's version of the AppStore, do you have a stock trading app for TDAmeritrade? I have had it in iOS and GooglePlay, but I have no idea if it exists in the Windows AppStore. I don't see it in the Surface RT store at all.

Next question:

I am interested in the Lumia 920 from Nokia. I am on AT&T already and I understand it should be coming to AT&T. Does anyone have any idea when it is coming to AT&T?

Last Question:

Thanks,

Alex
    Welcome to WPCentral, Alex! Hope you like it, here.

I searched for TDAmeritrade and Ameritrade on my Windows Phone but got zero results.

The Lumia 920's availability date hasn't been announced. The latest rumor was Sunday, November 11.

The WP8 to get will depend on your needs. The 920 has a great camera with OIS (optical image stabilization) for great stills and video plus it has a Puremotion screen that is reportedly very impressive. It also has built-in wireless charging. A couple of members here on the forums have it. I will post a link to one of the threads were you can ask one of the 920 owners a question. Another option is the HTC 8X which has a great design, good camera and Beats audio system. The Verizon version of the 8X will come with built-in wireless charging. Finally there is the Samsung ATIV S (named Odyssey on Verizon) which has expandable memory, huge screen and removable battery.

Let us know if you have more questions. Again, welcome to WPCentral and hopefully to Windows Phone ;)

P.S. Yours is the first case where I see that the Surface has influenced a person towards considering Windows Phone. I think Microsoft is on the right track :)

Is there a way I can search the apps in your app store without a phone? Google Play for example lets me search for apps online and install from there. Do I have to have a Windows phone to see the available apps?

Sometimes the stock trading apps go by other names. Sometimes a 3rd party provides a trading app that connects to TDAmeritrade. The app doesn't have to be called, "TD Ameritrade" it merely needs to allow stock trading via TD Ameritrade.

I'll also ask the brokerage if they have any idea.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post

P.S. Yours is the first case where I see that the Surface has influenced a person towards considering Windows Phone. I think Microsoft is on the right track :)
    Yeah, and the funny part about all this is that I was pretty much a guy saying the Surface was the complete wrong direction. I believe in being fair and giving things an honest try. I'm hooked on it. Like it much better than the iPad I owned, and so far I may even drop my Note 10.1 for this. Having Office on a tablet is much better than I imagined it would be. It really needs a lot more apps, but I think those will come in the near future.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post

I searched for TDAmeritrade and Ameritrade on my Windows Phone but got zero results.

The Lumia 920's availability date hasn't been announced. The latest rumor was Sunday, November 11.

The WP8 to get will depend on your needs. The 920 has a great camera with OIS (optical image stabilization) for great stills and video plus it has a Puremotion screen that is reportedly very impressive. It also has built-in wireless charging. A couple of members here on the forums have it. I will post a link to one of the threads were you can ask one of the 920 owners a question. Another option is the HTC 8X which has a great design, good camera and Beats audio system. The Verizon version of the 8X will come with built-in wireless charging. Finally there is the Samsung ATIV S (named Odyssey on Verizon) which has expandable memory, huge screen and removable battery.

Let us know if you have more questions. Again, welcome to WPCentral and hopefully to Windows Phone ;)

Aubreyq I have mentioned before that what will happen to Windows Phone is exactly the opposite of what happened to Apple. Apple sells more Macs today because of the success of the iphone but Windows Phone will sell more tomorrow because of the success of Windows for desktop and tablets. We are seeing this already happen with this thread but this is only one person who decided to actually write a post. This influence on Windows for desktop and RT will continue to have an effect on the masses and this is why I see only success for the Windows Phone platform. Welcome to the forum Alex. It really doesn't matter which Windows Phone 8 you choose. They are all awesome and provide similar performance. Unlike android where each device is so different from each other regarding specs, all of the current Windows Phones have similar specs except for the underpowered HTC 8S. You should find them all equally useful with a consistent user experience since Windows Phone does not have different skins such as touchwiz or sense. Welcome aboard.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    I am interested in the Lumia 920 Is the Lumia 920 the phone to get or is there an even better phone?
    The answer to this question depends on your criteria. The 8X is a better phone for be, based on my lifestyle and usage habits. Tell is what is important, what you must have, and what you can without.

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Is there a way I can search the apps in your app store without a phone? Google Play for example lets me search for apps online and install from there. Do I have to have a Windows phone to see the available apps?

Sometimes the stock trading apps go by other names. Sometimes a 3rd party provides a trading app that connects to TDAmeritrade. The app doesn't have to be called, "TD Ameritrade" it merely needs to allow stock trading via TD Ameritrade.

I'll also ask the brokerage if they have any idea.

Thanks for your help.
    Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Currently, this forum is a battlefield for a proxy war between Nokia, HTC and Samsung Zealots.

Many believe there is such a thing as an objectively "best" device, but it just isn't true, and many are currently mistaking spec-sheet numbers for actual indicators of performance, which amounts to nothing but jumping to conclusions based on very superficial understandings of technology. The current lack of professional reviews doesn't help either.

Wait another two weeks, and you are sure to get much more reliable information than now.

Oh yeah... and welcome to wpcentral!
    aubreyq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TJWINS View Post
    Aubreyq I have mentioned before that what will happen to Windows Phone is exactly the opposite of what happened to Apple. Apple sells more Macs today because of the success of the iphone but Windows Phone will sell more tomorrow because of the success of Windows for desktop and tablets. We are seeing this already happen with this thread but this is only one person who decided to actually write a post. This influence on Windows for desktop and RT will continue to have an effect on the masses and this is why I see only success for the Windows Phone platform. Welcome to the forum Alex. It really doesn't matter which Windows Phone 8 you choose. They are all awesome and provide similar performance. Unlike android where each device is so different from each other regarding specs, all of the current Windows Phones have similar specs except for the underpowered HTC 8S. You should find them all equally useful with a consistent user experience since Windows Phone does not have different skins such as touchwiz or sense. Welcome aboard.
    I noticed the 920 has much more storage than the 820. I jog a lot and like to have a ton of music on my phone. I assume you have running apps that track your distance via GPS??

I noticed the 920 has much more storage than the 820. I jog a lot and like to have a ton of music on my phone. I assume you have running apps that track your distance via GPS??
    Yes, I use Runtastic and it is great.
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    The answer to this question depends on your criteria. The 8X is a better phone for be, based on my lifestyle and usage habits. Tell is what is important, what you must have, and what you can without.
    The usual. Hold a lot of music, make and receive calls. Email is very important. I use exchange in the Office and will need to be able to deal with attachments in email. I'm sure it will do that nicely if it is anything like the surface.

Would like to be able to buy and sell stocks if I need to from the phone. My brokerage is TD Ameritrade.

Need to connect to twitter, Facebook, and Google plus. No Google plus would not be a deal breaker.

Runtastic will be fine as a running app. I have a Garmin Forerunner 610 that I also use. Like to have an app though.

Maps are a big deal. Like to search what's around me. Have no sense of direction so sometimes I need gps to bail me out and show me the way.

Would like to have bank America and chase bank apps.

Big fan of audible. Big fan of podcasts.

SMS, which I'm sure you have.

Would like YouTube.

in terms of stocks...Nokia has a bloomberg app...and theres some Microsoft apps.
    I couldnt tell you what they do though since i dont deal with stocks.

In terms of phone, the big three are
    -Nokia Lumia 920
    -HTC 8X
    -Samsung Ativ S

The 920 has more space (32gb) than the 820, but the 820 has an SD card slot so you get that space back with the right sized SD card.

if space is a big issue for you, the Ativ S is the only way to go. 16 or 32gb internal memory AND and SD card slot. the other flagships dont have SD card slot (8X has 8 or 16gb, Lumia 920 has 32gb). their lower end brethren do but they all come with less internal memory (4 or 8gb)

The usual. Hold a lot of music, make and receive calls. Email is very important. I use exchange in the Office and will need to be able to deal with attachments in email. I'm sure it will do that nicely if it is anything like the surface.

Would like to be able to buy and sell stocks if I need to from the phone. My brokerage is TD Ameritrade.

Need to connect to twitter, Facebook, and Google plus. No Google plus would not be a deal breaker.

Runtastic will be fine as a running app. I have a Garmin Forerunner 610 that I also use. Like to have an app though.

Maps are a big deal. Like to search what's around me. Have no sense of direction so sometimes I need gps to bail me out and show me the way.

Would like YouTube.

Hello Alex and welcome to the forum.

You said your service is with AT&T so unless you want to switch to Verizon the Samsung Ativ S won't be an option.

Most of the apps you seem to want are available. I don't trade in stocks but this might be close to what you're looking for

Today's Market News - TD Ameritrade

Good luck!
    ...When you judge someone you tell more about yourself than the person you are judging.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Cus View Post

You said your service is with AT&T so unless you want to switch to Verizon the Samsung Ativ S won't be an option.

Most of the apps you seem to want are available. I don't trade in stocks but this might be close to what you're looking for

Good luck!
    Excellent. Thanks a million.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    If you hold a lot of music then the Lumia 920 is the way to go due to its 32GB of storage capacity. You should be good to go with your email needs as well.

You can use built-in Twitter and Facebook integration (no other mobile OS comes close to its greatness) or use the standalone apps which will be updated for WP8.

Two words: Nokia Drive. You'll be able to download maps to your phone so you won't even need a data connection to navigate! How neat is that!

Got 'em!

Would like YouTube.
    Got Audible and OS has podcast management. MetroTube is the best app for YouTube access.
    TJWINS likes this.

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    Honestly speaking, the decision maker here is storage. On AT&T, the 920 is the clear winner, with 32GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Cus View Post

Good luck!
    Holy crap, the big news is Mobile Iron coming to WP8. My company purchased 10k iPad 2s for our sales staff because they could use this app suit and move and control the hardware/software.

Windows Phone Management | MobileIron

WPcentral needs to do a story on this.

When they come to Windows 8 RT, I can imagine many surfaces being purchased. MS needs to throw some money their way.
    Last edited by CJ Thunder; 11-02-2012 at 01:02 AM.