Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
Like Tree30Likes
  1. tN0
    tN0 is offline
    tN0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Daniel View Post
    Ever since the mention of "folders", I've wished that MS would allow us to group apps into hubs. In each hub would be the usual launch shortcuts, as well as a notification center for the apps assigned to the hub. That way, you could have live tiles that pull directly from said notification centers. It is similar to what you suggest, but instead of all of them being together, there would be various hubs, such as social media, favorite games, or whatever you want to name them.
    But this is how it works now already. You have a game hub where all your games are listed, a video hub where all your video apps are listed and the same for photos. Folders are ideas from the 20th century, IMO. ��
  2. AgentTheGreat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    63 Posts
       #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    Panorama is typically used as the landing page, displaying highlights and allowing you to navigate to the more list-oriented, pivot-based screens. Pictures and Music+Video hub both turn to the pivot layout when it comes to listing the respective media. People is an exception, and I think the oversized panorama title does it no favours in terms of usability.
    I understand your concern regarding wasted space. The moment I find some time I will come up with a refined version - still within the guidelines - to see if I can create a Pivot design. Me an my friend have already been talking about changing a few things and I think we can perfect the idea with less focus going to static decorations and "chrome".
  3. AgentTheGreat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    63 Posts
       #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Filipe View Post
    Just one problem: where would Settings, Games, Messages, Store (Marketplace) and Phone be placed? Inside the App Hub?
    Sorry but I don't like the Android concept of "everything is an app". Windows Phone is the opposite of that. A big part of what you need is already preloaded in your phone and an App is not required for doing that.
    I really never felt the need of a Notification Center. I have live tiles for doing about the same but they aren't annoying like the notifications (that still there for about 5 seconds). I don't know why you all care so much about a Notification Center but your concept is not bad (if it exists as double swipe to left from the Start Menu instead of inside an app).
    Sorry for disagreeing, but this is my opinion...
    The list is already called "the apps list", although not officially. But maybe we can change the title to "Apps + Hubs" or something like that.
  4. naiduharish's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #29  
    The notification center design looks great !! kudos...

    But don't you think if you have an App hub and no app list as it is right now, the app hub would have to be a permanent fixture on the live tiles screen. There would be no way to access the list of apps otherwise. (Assuming I understood your concept correctly :))

    Also, going to the notification center via the app hub would make it cumbersome, its a notification, you should be able to get to it with minimum swipes / clicks. In my opinion a left swipe on the main screen bringing up your notification centre (similar to the Meego OS) would be better, faster & more elegant.
  5. blehblehbleh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    571 Posts
    #30  
    Not really digging the Apps Hub concept because it seems redundant of the App list. In that sense, to me, the notification center (which I like the way you portray it) might as well come up through a button like the arrow or magnifying glass.

    Personally, I have my idea of a notification center but I came up with an alternative; assuming MS allows us to close open apps by doing a flicking gesture similar to how WebOS did it or now with Windows 8, I don't see why there couldn't be a way to access a notification center through a second tap of some sorts within that open app selector.
  6. AgentTheGreat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    63 Posts
       #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by naiduharish View Post
    The notification center design looks great !! kudos...

    But don't you think if you have an App hub and no app list as it is right now, the app hub would have to be a permanent fixture on the live tiles screen. There would be no way to access the list of apps otherwise. (Assuming I understood your concept correctly :))

    Also, going to the notification center via the app hub would make it cumbersome, its a notification, you should be able to get to it with minimum swipes / clicks. In my opinion a left swipe on the main screen bringing up your notification centre (similar to the Meego OS) would be better, faster & more elegant.
    I agree, but as I don't think changing the way people access their apps is a good idea, I was thinking maybe still a swipe left could get you to the apps hub. I know hubs come up with their own animation and all, but I think it is better if this one hub behaves like the way the current apps list does: the first panel being revealed by a swipe.

    My idea was that we could pin the notification subsection to the start screen, and tapping the tile would get us directly to the notifications section.
  7. jwilde51710's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    #32  
    I think they could always put a notification center to the left of the start screen. so have ur home and then have apps to the right like always and then back to the home screen and then notifications swipe to the left. easy?
  8. AgentTheGreat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    63 Posts
       #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Not really digging the Apps Hub concept because it seems redundant of the App list. In that sense, to me, the notification center (which I like the way you portray it) might as well come up through a button like the arrow or magnifying glass.

    Personally, I have my idea of a notification center but I came up with an alternative; assuming MS allows us to close open apps by doing a flicking gesture similar to how WebOS did it or now with Windows 8, I don't see why there couldn't be a way to access a notification center through a second tap of some sorts within that open app selector.
    As I said, my gripe with the current apps list is that it doesn't follow any logical principles. It sticks out as something different compared to other lists, with a lot of unused space. Take the space behind the list: it only exists because there is the search button up there.
    I think in WP8 the arrow on the home screen was moved down because of the same reason: it wasted a lot of screen real estate. The same thing is happening here.

    Then I though "they already have guidelines for this kinda thing" and therefore I started thinking how this list would look like observing WP's conventional guidelines.
  9. blehblehbleh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    571 Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentTheGreat View Post
    As I said, my gripe with the current apps list is that it doesn't follow any logical principles. It sticks out as something different compared to other lists, with a lot of unused space. Take the space behind the list: it only exists because there is the search button up there.
    I think in WP8 the arrow on the home screen was moved down because of the same reason: it wasted a lot of screen real estate. The same thing is happening here.

    Then I though "they already have guidelines for this kinda thing" and therefore I started thinking how this list would look like observing WP's conventional guidelines.
    I don't think that's was the primary reason. I'm pretty sure it was the natural state of focusing on the content and given the fact that Metro was initially pulled from their similar UI design on the Zune HD. In fact, it wasn't until Windows Phon 7.5 (Mango) that Microsoft even implemented the jump list for apps and the added type to search via the magnifying glass.

    But regardless, it's a list like any other list that's used in any windows phone app.

    As for the moving of the arrow location if you read the Windows Phone Team Blog, they state that the moving of the arrow was due to the fact that its complete removal to allow for the new tile sizes left users that used Windows Phone 8 clueless that the app list exists on the right. As a result they added the arrow at the bottom as a notification and compromise.

    For me, having a button similar to the magnifying glass that pops up a notification hub like you depict just seems like the next logical step.

    I mean, why refocus the app list into a hub when it's already there? And instead of pinning a notification center in your original idea, if you were to go the apps hub route, why not just replace the former app list with the notification list? It just all seems slightly redundant to me.
  10. tarekw's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    The home screen is a perfectly suitable candidate for both the app list and notifications list. Big fan of your layout, I just think it doesn't need to be in a hub.
    Exactly. I love the concept of being able to swipe sideways to get to the notification centre. But I think they can all reside perfectly as the main page having something like 3 panorama panels (start screen, apps list and the notification centre).
  11. vp710's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    #36  
    Agent, I admire your patience. :P :lol:
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.
  12. masterchief1984's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    199 Posts
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    #37  
    Voted! And awesome ****ing design BTW!
    Thanked by:
  13. AgentTheGreat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    63 Posts
       #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    Agent, I admire your patience. :P :lol:
    Arguing over design concepts is my job, and I like a good challenger ;)
    vp710 likes this.
  14. duk3togo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #39  
    I love the concept its a very nice design. My only 2 critics is that you can only access it from the start menu and if it has to be only in the home screen maybe on the other side (left to right swipe); otherwise awesome concept.
  15. TofuDelight's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by tarekw View Post
    Exactly. I love the concept of being able to swipe sideways to get to the notification centre. But I think they can all reside perfectly as the main page having something like 3 panorama panels (start screen, apps list and the notification centre).
    This would be okay. I think the start screen is already the Apps hub, so no need to go to a secondary level for this function. A third panel there would be logical. Maybe I can finally get rid of the Marketplace tile on my start screen (I keep it just to be notified of updates.)

    Another thing I would add is the ability to group of apps, just like how we can now group contacts in the People hub.
  16. Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #41  
    For me the hub idea doesn't work from a UX stance as you'd have to come out of any apps you're in, this applies to the swipe right on the home screen suggestion as well.

    My pitch would be a long press on the search button which would present a notification centre, contextual search as well as a phone-wide search in a panoramic overlay, killing three birds with one stone.

    Overall it would be a better user experience as there would be less 'clicks' plus you can access it from anywhere
  17. GanaeshD's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #42  
    Brilliantly simple. I was actually thinking of something similar to what you cooked up in your mock-ups, but instead of swiping to the right of the apps menu, I was thinking of swiping to the left of the start screen.

    But other than that, that is one sweet mock-up.
    Thanked by:
  18. Wevenhuis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #43  
    I like the idea of an extra pivot page to the start screen. If swipe to the right is voor the apps, perhaps a swipe to the left could be for the notifications?

    Another option I was thinking of is a long press on the search key. This can prompt a screen with notifications, just like a long press of the back button for the multitasking screen.
  19. Haxcid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    #44  
    Love the design however I would like to see it to the left of the main tile screen. Swipe left get notifications, swipe right get Apps Center. Either way brilliant concept, it is different enough from iOS and Android to keep the legal teams at bay. Someone needs to get this to the WP Dev team and get their opinion on it. Live tiles are great but this would make WP 8 over the top.
    AgentTheGreat likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions