Music Management Help!

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I just copy my mp3's straight to the music folder on the phone through Windows Explorer. As long as they are tagged properly its great. I am glad I don't have to sync with a program anymore.

Drag and drop is nice. What is also nice is being able to create playlists, manage your music and metadata effeciently. Fortunately there is a way around it with WMP, but there's no reason why the XBox Music and WP Sync apps should suck so badly. This is a travesty!!

zombiwoof

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I find this kind of unsettling. I love to manage my music. Every little details has to be right (composers, high-res album art, every word should be spelled with a capital letter except for "a", "the", etcetera...) in my music library and Zune is the perfect application to do that with... I kinda hoped it would just get renamed to Xbox Music. I don't want to lose my ability to waste time tidying up my music!

I agree totally, I get pissed when I open Nokia music and find duplicate tracks. Kinda spoils the mood. I like my music just so. Seems every music app I try does the same thing. What's the deal.

Bryan_J

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you all on this. They really, really fumbled media management with WP8/Windows 8. Otherwise, I love the new operating systems and I love, LOVE my Lumia 920. But the music situation is like them poking a stick in a wound every time I use it - which is pretty much all the time. My metadata is still f'd up beyond belief - I'm slowly trying to correct all of it using WMP but the phone doesn't want to let go of some of the old stuff. This is just a mess all 'round.

zombiwoof

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you all on this. They really, really fumbled media management with WP8/Windows 8. Otherwise, I love the new operating systems and I love, LOVE my Lumia 920. But the music situation is like them poking a stick in a wound every time I use it - which is pretty much all the time. My metadata is still f'd up beyond belief - I'm slowly trying to correct all of it using WMP but the phone doesn't want to let go of some of the old stuff. This is just a mess all 'round.

I have tried using Nokia music do delete music, it does not like to. I have used windows explorer and manually deleted the music. When it shows to gone I try to reload, now I have 4 of everything. Damn it already, its on certain albums too. Uninstalling Nokia music and reinstalling does not work either. I love my phone music as, **** that's one main reason I got the model.

Vic_Tye

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Right, a very new (1 week in) HTC 8x user here.

I have just come from the Apple mob, I have had iPhone's since the very first version and am used to iTunes, even with its faults but this.....well........this....... This is not music management, its a farce, plain and simple!!

I really like the HTC, I like WP8 a lot too but music on the move for me is a must, I spend 2 hours a day commuting by train I liked the drag and drop ability, The Desktop App Preview 2 is the worst piece of clunky cr*p out there, was it coded by idiots? - I don't have xBox Music, never used Zune (I might have had a trial on my xBox at some point) - most of the stuff mentioned thus far in here is witchcraft to me :grin:

What is is with compilations? I like to view by album, not artist - if I have a compilation album, say Classic Euphoria that I listen to in the gym - This is a gap-less dance CD, using this piece of cr*p been its far from that

Absolute rubbish Microsoft. Fix it or I am off! Not an idle threat that either, I am happy to be a new adopter of the OS but these are basic functions, I have looked around and cannot see a roadmap of development to give me hope on this (the rest of mu bug bears like SMS notifications etc. can wait - this is a biggy for me!)

Thanks for listening lol - Is there any hope or any advice?

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Right, a very new (1 week in) HTC 8x user here.

I have just come from the Apple mob, I have had iPhone's since the very first version and am used to iTunes, even with its faults but this.....well........this....... This is not music management, its a farce, plain and simple!!

I really like the HTC, I like WP8 a lot too but music on the move for me is a must, I spend 2 hours a day commuting by train I liked the drag and drop ability, The Desktop App Preview 2 is the worst piece of clunky cr*p out there, was it coded by idiots? - I don't have xBox Music, never used Zune (I might have had a trial on my xBox at some point) - most of the stuff mentioned thus far in here is witchcraft to me :grin:

What is is with compilations? I like to view by album, not artist - if I have a compilation album, say Classic Euphoria that I listen to in the gym - This is a gap-less dance CD, using this piece of cr*p been its far from that

Absolute rubbish Microsoft. Fix it or I am off! Not an idle threat that either, I am happy to be a new adopter of the OS but these are basic functions, I have looked around and cannot see a roadmap of development to give me hope on this (the rest of mu bug bears like SMS notifications etc. can wait - this is a biggy for me!)

Thanks for listening lol - Is there any hope or any advice?

Not much advice or hope here at the moment honestly, Microsoft hasn't publicly discussed anything about Xbox music or given a roadmap. Presumably they knew how bad the experience was going to be, and how big of a gap there was but simply ran out of time.

There is a suggestion forum you can visit that Microsoft has indicated they monitor, there's a number of suggestions there about syncing:

Feature Suggestions

Vic_Tye

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Not much advice or hope here at the moment honestly, Microsoft hasn't publicly discussed anything about Xbox music or given a roadmap. Presumably they knew how bad the experience was going to be, and how big of a gap there was but simply ran out of time.

There is a suggestion forum you can visit that Microsoft has indicated they monitor, there's a number of suggestions there about syncing:

Feature Suggestions

Thanks matey,

Its a shame there isn't one or news on sorting the music (or the state of IE10)
I found that bit too whilst hunting for a solution (thanks again) and have posted one and used my votes on others too

There are so many threads and high votes for it too. I hope M$ will listen and change it in a future update as the OS is actually good 😉

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Vic_tye: the best advice I can give if you like your music management the classic way, (you know, where it works and you have all the control!) then I can't stress enough that you should be using Windows Media Player (assuming you're not running a mac) it's made my life much easier

matthewryans

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the Nokia Lumia 920 for about 2 weeks and have been syncing through Sony's Media Go software. It's not good, but it's definitely better than the Windows Phone app from Microsoft.

Vic_Tye

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Jay & Matthew, I've tried to sync using WMP & still have the splitting issue, not tried the Sony one though
I think as i have 50+ Gb of music what i used to do with my iPhone was create a playlist called "Phone" & that would sync across, it wad mainly compilation albums, trying with the Win phone just leave's me with 100's of separate artists. Mist annoying.

I'll keep trying though as Win8 is a breath of fresh air really (even with IE10 as well lol)

dron nord

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
ok, MS your music management sucks. You have 22 months to fix it or I'm back to droid. And probably the rest of the word as well.
My playlist and album info disappears like a David Copperfield illusion. Like an idiot I keep syncing it back and the next day the album ifo and artist disappear again. Get it together Nokia and MS or you lose.
(Lumia 822)

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
ok, MS your music management sucks. You have 22 months to fix it or I'm back to droid. And probably the rest of the word as well.
My playlist and album info disappears like a David Copperfield illusion. Like an idiot I keep syncing it back and the next day the album ifo and artist disappear again. Get it together Nokia and MS or you lose.
(Lumia 822)

Make sure to bug windows phone support on twitter about your issues, and vote in the Microsoft feature request forums. The more vocal people they have asking them about the issues, the better chance we have to fix it (hopefully).

Vic_Tye

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
OK, with some playing about you can group compilation music by album if you change Album Artist to Various, this I did via Win Explorer & not via any app before dragging and dropping over, if however you want the album tracks in the correct order then you also need to change the track name to add the number at the beginning

I'm guessing that if you changed it to the album name that would work too.
I've over 60Gb of music and I'm damned if I'm going to do that for all especially as I only have a few albums on my phone for the daily train commute. Hate to say it (despite coming from Apple) it is something for me that iTunes did very well

Vic_Tye

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
To update my gripes so far as I have been "chatting" with @winphonesupport on Twitter regarding my music grouping issue (compilation albums not being together but listed as artists only) & have had the following response after I uploaded tracks to my SkyDrive and they had a look at them, "EB" replied over 2 tweets:

@Vic_Tye OK, we had some time to play around with this and we feel it should be something to be looked in. Don't believe it's with... ^EB
@Vic_Tye ...the sync app but with the way the phone looks at the files on the phone but we can't be sure. ^EB

So they are listening

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one that absolutely loves how easy the phone is to pop music onto...? Back when we used 'dumb phones' it was great just being able to plug in your phone to a computer and drag and drop music over, then came smartphones and along with it forced bloated clunky software and specific ways of putting music onto your phone. After just getting my 920 last weekend I was amazed that I could just drop my music folders onto the phone using windows explorer and pow it was right there and playable on the phone almost instantly without any faffing about.

I keep all my music files in my own sorted system by year. So being able to just drag and drop files onto my phone is absolute bliss! That said I do hope you guys which go about doing it a different way can get to the bottom of it, just thought I'd chime in :)

Vic_Tye

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one that absolutely loves how easy the phone is to pop music onto...? Back when we used 'dumb phones' it was great just being able to plug in your phone to a computer and drag and drop music over, then came smartphones and along with it forced bloated clunky software and specific ways of putting music onto your phone. After just getting my 920 last weekend I was amazed that I could just drop my music folders onto the phone using windows explorer and pow it was right there and playable on the phone almost instantly without any faffing about.

I keep all my music files in my own sorted system by year. So being able to just drag and drop files onto my phone is absolute bliss! That said I do hope you guys which go about doing it a different way can get to the bottom of it, just thought I'd chime in :)

You are absolutely right, the ease of drag and drop is great, especially after 6 yrs of being locked into iTunes with my old iPhone's - my gripe was that the actual listing once on your phone was appalling and the suggestions we are all given of XBM or this beta application after taking away what seems to be a good system in Zune music management is the main issue.

Compilation and gapless albums should be listed (or at least be able to be listed) as they are intended. As you say though, some people like their music listed differently but having it "vanilla" as the CD intended should surely be an option - one that after my chats with WinPhoneSupport on Twitter seems to be being looked at

subbu567

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
For me it worked this way on my Lumia 920(BTW what apiece of Hardware-Stunning!)

Albums by Artists(Like **** Freezes Over),straight away drag and drop works,for compilations pl import them in WMP latest version,create a play list with compilation disc,album and name it,save it...go on till you are finished with all compilations-then drag and drop all volumes,playlist on the right side display pane-and use the sync tab on the top right and the start sync and let it complete-(Pl never use the sync option under WP software-thats total %$^&) bingo you will see all compilations in a sane form :) -one compilation did not work though for me(examining the meta data there) but the rest is fine under albums as well as you will see the correctly ordered play lists under the playlists option in the phone.However when you do so pl erase all your current music in the phone-other wise it gets duplicated ....phew.....this is stunningly pathetic in the WP8 ...hope they fix it soon.

Jobin Thomas

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Even I found that when I add Album Art to an album's folder the xbox music app didn't recognize it . The best way I found to add albumart is to use a small yet efficient software called "mp3tag" .You can add the entire album and change the metadata as a batch operation , it's the best way I found to arrange my music and to keep it updated!!!!

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I find this kind of unsettling. I love to manage my music. Every little details has to be right (composers, high-res album art, every word should be spelled with a capital letter except for "a", "the", etcetera...) in my music library and Zune is the perfect application to do that with... I kinda hoped it would just get renamed to Xbox Music. I don't want to lose my ability to waste time tidying up my music!
Agreed! I never find anyone else who is anal about their music as I am. As of now, I'm using WLMP to sync my music because it actually works alright. If you don't want your music to be messed up, go to Music & Videos > Settings > Turn off Connect to Xbox. It makes it so that your info doesn't get changed when your music is synced. Now that I turned that stupid thing off, my music titles and albums don't change and stay how I like it. For album art, you'll have to add that manually or it'll already be synced from iTunes/Zune in WLMP.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I just want playcounts. :(

Well I don't have a 920 but I will be switching from an iPhone 5 to a 920 2 weeks from now. I have an iPod Classic so that won't bother me too much. But still, my iPhone is a backup incase my Classic's battery died and I want my playcounts to be syncronized. Too bad I wont get it with Windows Phone. Still switching tho.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3