Tap-To-Pay on At&t?

buddha747

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have seen that the wallet app on WP8 has tap-to-pay functionality (like Google Wallet). I was wondering if anyone has any ides as to whether At&t (or other major US carriers) will block this functionality (like they did with google wallet).

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have seen that the wallet app on WP8 has tap-to-pay functionality (like Google Wallet). I was wondering if anyone has any ides as to whether At&t (or other major US carriers) will block this functionality (like they did with google wallet).

AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile have a joint venture for payment called Isis. I think there were recent delays to the Isis roll out, but the last word was that Windows Phone 8 would gain Isis support sometime in 2013.

Google Wallet is a competitor so that explains why they'd block it.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yeah, but with a lot of asterisks and maybes. ISIS is a f-ing debacle....and I suspect it is being delayed until Apple gets their head out of their orafice and decides to support NFC.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
yeah, but with a lot of asterisks and maybes. ISIS is a f-ing debacle....and I suspect it is being delayed until Apple gets their head out of their orafice and decides to support NFC.

It's annoying that Apple leads by dragging their feet. I don't see what everyone is afraid of. If NFC and tap-to-pay are the future, then the carriers should go forward and let Apple fall behind.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I hate Apple, but this has nothing to do with them. This problem rest entirely with the awful American carriers thinking that they are due a piece of every pie because they deliver the data. Isis is like if Comcast were to ask of a percent of ebay's earnings because they provide internet service to their customers. And until there is legislation against this kind of monopolization it will never change and always move at the speed of the carriers. Also expect this to change for the better anytime soon cause all of our awesome government officials are either too old to understand or already in the pockets of these corporations.

P.S.
Support the EFF because they are just about the only group fighting for freedom in the digital space.
/endrant

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yes but the cabal knows that if they start pushing their solution and Apple comes out with "NFC via iTunes" or some crap that they are totally and utterly screwed. They have to get Apple on board.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It's annoying because they announced it be on windows phone 8 in the key note...
http://wmpoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/WIndows-Phone-8-NFC-Wallet-Experience-620x412.png

If you watched / heard the keynote, they specifically said the OS supports tap-to-pay, and that it depended on the carrier for the actual implementation. They actually said that tap-to-pay would be on one carrier at launch (I believe somewhere in Europe, though I can't remember), and that it would come to the US sometime in 2013.

I'd love to have it now as well (though I'm not sure I'd find a use for it), but they're not breaking any promises or anything.

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Isis was rolled out in Austin few months ago. When I enquired about it in a corp AT&T store, the CSR flat out said my phone (920 lumia) doesn't support it. I think it extends to WP cos I didnt see an app either for Wp8

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Isis was rolled out in Austin few months ago. When I enquired about it in a corp AT&T store, the CSR flat out said my phone (920 lumia) doesn't support it. I think it extends to WP cos I didnt see an app either for Wp8
att, others as well, are pretty bad at training their staff...you get completely contra versa info from different rep even in one same store...
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
att, others as well, are pretty bad at training their staff...you get completely contra versa info from different rep even in one same store...
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Could happen but the other night , Chase had a promotion in local mall promoting Isis. I asked them too about Wp8 and they checked right in front of me, the device wasn't listed, don't remember if WP8 was listed there.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
so either WP8 doesn't support it out of the box, or ISIS is so backasswards and proprietary that every phone has to be specially activated to work with the secure SIM.

find someone with an android that is working with ISIS and borrow their SIM. I bet it works, the shysters just haven't "certified" it yet

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to have it now as well (though I'm not sure I'd find a use for it), but they're not breaking any promises or anything.

What is more handy to get out of your pocket? Your phone or your credit card? By far your phone, your wallet might be as easy to grab as your phone but your CC is going to be in your wallet, just extra steps.

It will be so easy, you still have to grab SOMETHING out of your pocket, why not go order McDonald's, grab out your phone and tap. Just this morning I did the tap with my CC...the tech is there...

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
What is more handy to get out of your pocket? Your phone or your credit card? By far your phone, your wallet might be as easy to grab as your phone but your CC is going to be in your wallet, just extra steps.

It will be so easy, you still have to grab SOMETHING out of your pocket, why not go order McDonald's, grab out your phone and tap. Just this morning I did the tap with my CC...the tech is there...

Until it's at 100% of the places I use my CC, I'm still going to have to carry my cards around. I'll personally still consider it a novelty.... though a novelty I still want to play with.. :)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Humm. I think I can sum this group up.

Future identify theft victims.

So, you are saying we should all go back to writing checks? Because they were 10x more secure than a credit card? Not like you could just copy the numbers down and have access to banking information.

Or we should all carry cash, because that is 20x more secure? Not like you could just take it.

Seriously, get out, haha. Having Tap-To-Pay on your phone is JUST as secure as any sort of credit card. If you are scared of CC's and banks also...here...you might need more of this

*hands over more Tin Foil for hats*

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It won't be 100% for decades. CC's were invented/popularized in the 70s, and even I can remember going to a place in the 90s/00s that still made a rub copy (with that slider machine).

It doesn't have to be 100% to be useful. Even if it was just WalMart, McDs and 7-11 it would be useful. You are going to have to carry around your CC's no matter what, but this could prevent you from having to use them as often. I use a CC for 95% of my purchases but I still have a $20 on me just in case. we aren't talking about replacement, but supplement for now.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It won't be 100% for decades. CC's were invented/popularized in the 70s, and even I can remember going to a place in the 90s/00s that still made a rub copy (with that slider machine).

It doesn't have to be 100% to be useful. Even if it was just WalMart, McDs and 7-11 it would be useful. You are going to have to carry around your CC's no matter what, but this could prevent you from having to use them as often. I use a CC for 95% of my purchases but I still have a $20 on me just in case. we aren't talking about replacement, but supplement for now.

I agree. Which is why I'm eager to try it out.. But if it works like this, I don't know.... Using my Debit/CC card at McDonalds takes about 3 seconds. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ78uCyvSy4

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Which is why I'm eager to try it out.. But if it works like this, I don't know.... Using my Debit/CC card at McDonalds takes about 3 seconds. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ78uCyvSy4

Pretty sweet! That is about how long it takes to do the credit card [Once the phone broke out of thinking mode]. I couldn't tell what was going on at the start of it...what was the phone thinking about? Was that the user or the phone? ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12