Does windows phone 8 allow you to install apps on micro sd?

madhu.tmk

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
This is a major issue for phones like 8s and lumia 820..
Also, what all can be stored in sd card(videos,apps,music,documents etc..)?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I don't have a WP8 device, but pretty sure I remember seeing this discussed on some videos and microsd storage is only for media and such like music, movies, pictures, documents, etc. Apps will always go to local storage.

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't remember where I read it but I'm pretty sure that SD cards can't install apps. Only media.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean to store your already installed apps on the sd card or to install apps from the sd card?

Last edited:

madhu.tmk

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a WP8 device, but pretty sure I remember seeing this discussed on some videos and microsd storage is only for media and such like music, movies, pictures, documents, etc. Apps will always go to local storage.
If u see june20th wp event, there's a slide which mentions you can install apps to micro sd..
So i'm not sure..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=royJee1SQlY
See at the 13:50 mark..

madhu.tmk

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Don't remember where I read it but I'm pretty sure that SD cards can't install apps. Only media.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
So what happens to the 8s (only 4gb, formatted memory will be much less) then?
Will it have just a gig of storage for apps!?

Last edited:

madhu.tmk

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
You can 'sideload' apps FROM a SD card to your phone under certain conditions, but not install apps ON the SD card.
I'm not talking about sideloading.. Can we install apps from store directly to the micro sd in case i run out of local storage..

Last edited:

madhu.tmk

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
why would u install apps on the SD card?

Are you installing apps from the PC?
8s only has 4gb internal memory.. But the formatted memory will be much less(1.x GB).. If u run out of space there's no way to install apps if u can't install them to microsd..

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Apparently you can't install/store your apps to the sd card, meaning that whatever internal space you've got will primarily be used by apps and the sd card will be for photos, music etc. I suggest you wait to see how much internal memory is left over for those phones after the OS takes some space.

Apps cannot be installed to microSD cards on WP8 - Crave - Mobile Phones - CNET Asia

http://www.infosys.com/microsoft/resource-center/Documents/windows-WP8-platform.pdf

As for installing apps from the sd card to the phone this can be done. How do I install apps from an SD card? | Windows Phone How-to (Australia)

madhu.tmk

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
So if u install some 50 apps in htc 8s, u easily run out of local storage(it'll be 1.x GB i guess), then there's no way u can install apps unless u delete older ones.. Sad.. I was planning to buy 8s, but now i can't:(.. OEMs should atleast include 8GB of local storage IMO..

Thoughts?

Last edited:

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
So if u install some 50 apps in htc 8s, u easily run out of local storage(it'll be 1.x GB i guess), then there's no way u can install apps unless u delete older ones.. Sad.. I was planning to buy 8s, but now i can't:(.. OEMs should atleast include 8GB of local storage IMO..

Thoughts?

That seems to be the case. If you plan on installing a lot of apps then I'd probably wait and find out from other users/reviews to see whether there is a solution to that. I imagine there won't be one.

If that's not enough you'll have to go with the L920 or 8x, or if you need an additional sd card, the Ativ S.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre