Good for Enterprise and WP8

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
WP7.x apps work fine on WP8. Only the other way around might be an issue with certain apps that use APIs and such that only WP8 supports.

joshbishop

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately, I can confirm that the current Good app does not work with WP8, or at least with the Lumia 920.

"This app is not available for your device"

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I can confirm that the current Good app does not work with WP8, or at least with the Lumia 920.

"This app is not available for your device"

That sucks! I've been lusting over a move to WP8 for ages, most intensely since yesterday, and it blows that Good isn't ready. BYOD is a big deal to MSFT, and I thought MSFT and Good were working closely, but clearly that isn't the case. I wonder if poor numbers on WP7 created a lack of desire to move forward?

Question for the techies on the forum - since WP7 apps are supposed to work on WP8 is it a question of them (Good) simply authorizing the app (even if it isn't optimized) for WP8 devices? If so we should start lobbying them (and MSFT) to do so if a native WP8 app isn't around the corner.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
That sucks! I've been lusting over a move to WP8 for ages, most intensely since yesterday, and it blows that Good isn't ready. BYOD is a big deal to MSFT, and I thought MSFT and Good were working closely, but clearly that isn't the case. I wonder if poor numbers on WP7 created a lack of desire to move forward?

Question for the techies on the forum - since WP7 apps are supposed to work on WP8 is it a question of them (Good) simply authorizing the app (even if it isn't optimized) for WP8 devices? If so we should start lobbying them (and MSFT) to do so if a native WP8 app isn't around the corner.
well. very likely the developers will update the apps very soon

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
They are currently working on an app and targeting Q1. Not many people are happy about it. We are actually looking to reduce our dependancy on Good due to the price and now that we are on Exchange 2010 we can use ActiveSync for corporate owned devices and just relegate Good for BYOD.

My suggestion is to join Good's user forum at Welcome | beGood and voice your desire for a WP8 app. There is a thread going over there..

TheAccuser

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
They are currently working on an app and targeting Q1. Not many people are happy about it. We are actually looking to reduce our dependancy on Good due to the price and now that we are on Exchange 2010 we can use ActiveSync for corporate owned devices and just relegate Good for BYOD.

My suggestion is to join Good's user forum at Welcome | beGood and voice your desire for a WP8 app. There is a thread going over there..

yeah, that's what my company does, unfortunately our phone selection is awful...Dell Venue Pro or BlackBerry Torch/Curve.

TheDrizzle

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been following the thread over at the "Good" forums (which is linked in this thread) and there are some conflicting time tables. The latest one says it will "second half 2013" before an app is released :( People are unhappy there, and they are pushing Good to try and just recompile the existing WP7.5 app as a WP8 app, but there is not much clear confirmation as to what they will do.

Last edited:

tdb1

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, on the User Forums for Good, they had been estimating an early 2013 release of a WP8 compatible version. Many people (myself included) likely purchased WP8 devices on the expectation the Good app would be forthcoming sooner rather than later. Then suddenly the estimate changed to second half of 2013. Keep in mind this wasn't Q3, but second half - meaning it likely will not be out until the fall or later. They say they are focused on enhancing the experience for Android and iOS users, rather than making it available for WP8. It's a clear snub to the WP8 platform. Users are asking them to at least make the 7.5 version available for WP8, but so far no response. If we want WP8 to grow as a platform, we need to press vendors like Good to step up and support the platform. The more noise they hear from WP8 users, the more likely they will prioritize implementation. If you have a WP8 device, or want to get one, and your company uses Good, please ask your IT people to pressure Good to get the WP8 version out ASAP. In the interim, push for the 7.5 version to be made available for WP8 users. If you want to read about the mess, check out the Good forum discussion:
https://begood.good.com/thread/2488

jukkap

May 13, 2013
Visit site
The WP8 client should be out pretty soon, saw that early access started recently.

But if you are looking at other MDM vendors in hope of efficiently & diversely managing Windows Phone 8 devices, you will be sorely disappointed. Even Airwatch (who teamed up with Nokia recently) can't provide the iOS / Android extended MDM functions, they just aren't available on any software for this platform at the moment. At least no vendor that I'm aware of really has working solutions to be implemented right now.

Some rumors about future updates and improved documentation from Microsoft / Nokia are out there, but I'd say don't get your hopes too high before the next major platform facelift. Before that, you are pretty much stuck with passcode settings, advertising preferred apps in the company hub and Exchange account settings. The polling period design pretty much kills MDM solutions if you have to send multiple commands to the device in a real hurry (one command / polling cycle, cycle of 1 hour normally). Guess Microsoft wanted to give their Intune an advantage or something.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Good works on WP8 now (I think the release was about a month ago, IIRC), but I decided not to use it when Verizon told me that it would cost an extra $15 a month. No thank you. No, I'm not going to ask my company about reimbursement, because I'm not going to further enrich Verizon to allow me to use my data plan as I wish, just because the data in question is encrypted.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^ Oh that sucks!! Screw Verizon! I find it so convenient that I can check my company emails right on my smartphone instead of resorting to their HTML Outlook web page :D

questionfear

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
Good works on WP8 now (I think the release was about a month ago, IIRC), but I decided not to use it when Verizon told me that it would cost an extra $15 a month. No thank you. No, I'm not going to ask my company about reimbursement, because I'm not going to further enrich Verizon to allow me to use my data plan as I wish, just because the data in question is encrypted.

Really? I've never heard of the extra charge before...will have to ask around my office. We support Good on iOS and Android and I don't know of anyone paying extra. Maybe they just dont complain about it, or our company has a deal with the wireless carriers. I know there's a yearly cost to use it, maybe the deal is that we pay it via the company instead of monthly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs