Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

If I buy either the 8X or 920 from AT&T and pay full price ($599) will it come unlocked?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCr48 View Post
    If I buy either the 8X or 920 from AT&T and pay full price ($599) will it come unlocked?

i don't think we'll know for sure until people actually buy them but i'd be inclined to think that they would be. if you don't intend to use yours on an AT&T MVNO (as i do) then you'd best wait until after they are released to know for sure.

I thought maybe they have a general policy. Thanks.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    No. They will not be unlocked. AT&T does not sell unlocked phones. The off-contract price is for AT&T customers who want to purchase the phone but are not eligible for a subsidized upgrade.
    Current Phone: Nokia Lumia 920
    Past Phones: iPhone 4, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus Flash, Nokia Lumia 900, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4

Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro, Nexus 7

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure AT&T locked phones still work on MVNOs. I'm using a locked Lumia 900 on StraightTalk. That being said, I'm waiting a while until after it comes out to see if it'll work with StraightTalk.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

PIN
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by doomtuba View Post
    I'm pretty sure AT&T locked phones still work on MVNOs. I'm using a locked Lumia 900 on StraightTalk. That being said, I'm waiting a while until after it comes out to see if it'll work with StraightTalk.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Any locked device from AT&T or T-Mobile will work on their respective MVNO's. I'm waiting to see how much an unlocked and unbranded Lumia 920 is compared to an AT&T version because of the possibility of pentaband on the unlocked version. If the cost difference is significant, I will most likely get an AT&T version and switch to an AT&T MVNO.

With AT&T exclusivity being 6 months, I don't think they'll unlock it before the exclusivity expires.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I'm waiting to find this out as well. If after release I find out buying full price from AT&T is unlocked then I'll get that. If not, then I can't go wrong with an 8X either.
    Xbox Live/PSN: ClassyPandaBear

just reread my post. should read " i'd be inclined to think that they would be locked"

i'm prone to leaving out words when typing and given the question leaving out this word changed the entire meaning.

off-contract phone from AT&T tend to be locked but we won't know for sure ahead of time. Verizon's iPhone 5 was unlocked and i think Rogers Lumia 920 is unlocked.
    Personally I think, if I buy the AT&T lumia 920 off contract at the full price, AT&T should unlock the phone at my request. If not, then I might as well add a bit more and buy it unlocked.

Another question, what is the warranty of the AT&T lumia 920 if you buy it off contract at the full price? Does it have any warranty?

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doublesman3486 View Post
    Personally I think, if I buy the AT&T lumia 920 off contract at the full price, AT&T should unlock the phone at my request. If not, then I might as well add a bit more and buy it unlocked.

Another question, what is the warranty of the AT&T lumia 920 if you buy it off contract at the full price? Does it have any warranty?
    Warrantty shouldnt be different. I believe one year.

You are not going to unlock your phone right away theough att. You will probably have to wait 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCr48 View Post

It won't come unlocked. But you can unlock it after purchasing.
    You can unlock a HTC 8X locked to AT&T network USA safer and easier using unlock code. You can get the accurate unlock code for a HTC 8X from ww.MobileUnlockSolutions.Com at affordable cost with free step by step unlocking instructions. Good luck mate.