Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. SteveCr48's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
       #1  
    If I buy either the 8X or 920 from AT&T and pay full price ($599) will it come unlocked?

    Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
  2. thejoyofsobe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCr48 View Post
    If I buy either the 8X or 920 from AT&T and pay full price ($599) will it come unlocked?

    Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
    i don't think we'll know for sure until people actually buy them but i'd be inclined to think that they would be. if you don't intend to use yours on an AT&T MVNO (as i do) then you'd best wait until after they are released to know for sure.
  3. SteveCr48's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
       #3  
    I thought maybe they have a general policy. Thanks.

    Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
  4. txaggies07's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    197 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #4  
    No. They will not be unlocked. AT&T does not sell unlocked phones. The off-contract price is for AT&T customers who want to purchase the phone but are not eligible for a subsidized upgrade.
    Current Phone: Nokia Lumia 920
    Past Phones: iPhone 4, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus Flash, Nokia Lumia 900, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4

    Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro, Nexus 7
  5. doomtuba's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #5  
    I'm pretty sure AT&T locked phones still work on MVNOs. I'm using a locked Lumia 900 on StraightTalk. That being said, I'm waiting a while until after it comes out to see if it'll work with StraightTalk.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  6. crav4speed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    378 Posts
    PIN
    No
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by doomtuba View Post
    I'm pretty sure AT&T locked phones still work on MVNOs. I'm using a locked Lumia 900 on StraightTalk. That being said, I'm waiting a while until after it comes out to see if it'll work with StraightTalk.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Any locked device from AT&T or T-Mobile will work on their respective MVNO's. I'm waiting to see how much an unlocked and unbranded Lumia 920 is compared to an AT&T version because of the possibility of pentaband on the unlocked version. If the cost difference is significant, I will most likely get an AT&T version and switch to an AT&T MVNO.

    With AT&T exclusivity being 6 months, I don't think they'll unlock it before the exclusivity expires.
  7. Agent-P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #7  
    I'm waiting to find this out as well. If after release I find out buying full price from AT&T is unlocked then I'll get that. If not, then I can't go wrong with an 8X either.
    Xbox Live/PSN: ClassyPandaBear
  8. thejoyofsobe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    #8  
    just reread my post. should read " i'd be inclined to think that they would be locked"

    i'm prone to leaving out words when typing and given the question leaving out this word changed the entire meaning.

    off-contract phone from AT&T tend to be locked but we won't know for sure ahead of time. Verizon's iPhone 5 was unlocked and i think Rogers Lumia 920 is unlocked.
  9. #9  
    Personally I think, if I buy the AT&T lumia 920 off contract at the full price, AT&T should unlock the phone at my request. If not, then I might as well add a bit more and buy it unlocked.

    Another question, what is the warranty of the AT&T lumia 920 if you buy it off contract at the full price? Does it have any warranty?
  10. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,415 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublesman3486 View Post
    Personally I think, if I buy the AT&T lumia 920 off contract at the full price, AT&T should unlock the phone at my request. If not, then I might as well add a bit more and buy it unlocked.

    Another question, what is the warranty of the AT&T lumia 920 if you buy it off contract at the full price? Does it have any warranty?
    Warrantty shouldnt be different. I believe one year.

    You are not going to unlock your phone right away theough att. You will probably have to wait 6 months.
  11. seyalpuyal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCr48 View Post
    If I buy either the 8X or 920 from AT&T and pay full price ($599) will it come unlocked?

    Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
    It won't come unlocked. But you can unlock it after purchasing.
    You can unlock a HTC 8X locked to AT&T network USA safer and easier using unlock code. You can get the accurate unlock code for a HTC 8X from ww.MobileUnlockSolutions.Com at affordable cost with free step by step unlocking instructions. Good luck mate.

Posting Permissions